You are not logged in.

#1 2011-10-30 12:23:17

ArchVortex
Retired

Why I use Arch + LXDE

First of all, I just want to go on record that I love Openbox and ArchBang. It's just plain ol' FAST!!! But to do my usual work I use LXDE.

Maybe I'm just old school, especially since I started with CDE in 1995 on Slack. See this pic to see the old CDE desktop http://xwinman.org/screenshots/cde-donner.jpg . I had been using Gnome since 2002 and the change to Gnome 3 really pissed me off. Luckily, LXDE has filled my need for a Gnome2 lookalike and working environment. And even better is that it's faster and lighter and I've still got my menu in the left corner of a bottom panel. Old habits die hard. I run LXDE with Arch on my work laptop and my Gentoo box. ArchBang is the only OS in my other laptop and in the family laptop (with Gentoo). I much prefer pcmanfm over Thunar and the whole LXDE desktop environment is small and quick to install. Maybe it doesn't have all the bells and whistles of the big three DE but it makes up for that in speed and simplicity. And as much as I love being able to click anywhere on the background and have OB menu pop up in ArchBang, my natural inclination is still to go to the left corner.

Anyways, here's my Arch + LXDE desktop on my work laptop.

201110302321531280x800s.png

You have the capacity to learn from mistakes. You'll learn a lot today.
FP:E5F8 7DBA 8128 9ACB 75F7 7279 BE34 AB66 76D9 16DE
KEY ID:76D916DE
Currently running ArchBang / LFS / OpenSUSE Tumbleweed

#2 2011-10-30 13:07:48

archy

Re: Why I use Arch + LXDE

Why do not to use ARCHBANG? don't get it,don't follow u!...

#3 2011-10-30 13:26:07

ArchVortex
Retired

If you read closely, I have ArchBang on two laptops. I'm writing this from ArchBang. roll

#4 2011-10-30 13:56:29

pablokal
Administrator
Website

I think it is all a matter of taste and habits.
What AV is saying LXDE is a great lightweight gnome2 replacement and what is wrong with that?
We should discuss the range of choice and the more there is information on it, the better everybody can choose what fits him or her best for this moment and/or at specific moments.

I hate dogmatism in one way or the other; I am convinced a lot of people work with openbox or awesome because it has a certain coolness  to use it but don't really feel at home at it. I think that is really a pity and unnecessary.
We should try to leave all trends and fashions behind us and discover what really fits us as user.

Linux is all about choice, but lots of people are influenced by the crowd there are in and following the leaders or trend- setters. Individuality brings creativity and diversity; that it was we all should strive for.

I wrote it before that when I saw RiscOS in 1995 it was for me the best OS there was.
I bought  windows 95 because I needed it for adaptive software that was only available in Windows (I have a severely disabled daughter) and regretted it many a times.
Anyway the mouse paradigm wasn't intuitive for me and only bothersome; I felt as with hands tied; using the keyboard like I do now feels like I finally are as quick and versatile as I want to be.  I understand that for people working with vim it works even more so. As I'm not into programming this level of keyboard finesse doesn't appeal to me. It doesn't fit the way I use the pc.

What I would like to see is a real openness in discussing these personal tastes and flavours.

Getting your questions answered here at ArchBang Forums
Please! Always give hardware info, if there is a chance that 's relevant: #lspci -vnn
On Arch(bang) and Openbox: http://stillstup.blogspot.com/

#5 2011-10-30 14:37:29

Mr Green
Administrator

Its odd because when Shy added LXDE to Archbang I was against it.... have been using LXDE recently and am getting used to it

Really do not like Gnome shell or Unity style desktops they are just cluttered and slow.

Do you think Will would consider adding LXDE to Archbang,

Must admit I do have a soft spot for Openbox

Comments, suggestions please feel free to contact me mrgreen(at)archbang(dot)org

#6 2011-10-30 16:11:10

willxtreme
The Cook

Nope I wouldn't put LXDE back but since ArchBang is flexible, I could easily replace Openbox if it ever gets beaten one day tongue (which is possible since Openbox itself is a fork of Blackbox)

#7 2011-10-30 16:35:56

pablokal
Administrator
Website

Do you think Will would consider adding LXDE to Archbang,

Happily the cook says no; I agree.
But what I would like for this  forum and the wiki, is:
Some good recipes how you quickly and easy install lxde for example and how you can use it as a session or as a different user (also a neat solution if you want to use two set ups).

Like this what Archvortex wrote elsewhere about adding lxde, but then with precise terminal commands and where to find what to edit:
Adding LXDE to AB requires adding about 7MB of packages. You then add lxdm to the inittab and comment out SLiM, add lxdm to the DAEMON line in /etc/rc.conf, add lxde to the .xinitrc and comment out openbox-session, then reboot and login. Pretty simple. Only three steps. I would add lxadmin-git and lxmed (needs jre) from the AUR also if running LXDE.

Please! Always give hardware info, if there is a chance that 's relevant: #lspci -vnn

#8 2011-10-30 17:46:08

archy

nice to have a distro called : archLXDE! :emoidea:

#9 2011-10-30 20:27:11

mike4ca
Happy (Arch|Manjaro)[B,b]ang User

ArchVortex wrote:

And as much as I love being able to click anywhere on the background and have OB menu pop up in ArchBang, my natural inclination is still to go to the left corner.

I have to laugh at myself.  After using AB for only a couple weeks I am finding myself trying to right click on a non-OpenBox desktops hoping for a menu to appear!

Free Software Foundation member 10865

#10 2011-10-30 22:37:41

ArchVortex
Retired

@ mike4ca

I do the same thing too! When using LXDE I sometimes click for a menu and when using ArchBang I look for a menu on the tint2 panel. big_smile

I would NOT like to see ArchBang include LXDE. ArchBang is Arch + Openbox and is awesome that way!! How does that song go.... I love you just the way you are. lol

As we have seen in a few posts already in the Forums, people are using ArchBang to install Arch easily and then changing desktops from Openbox to something else. I was discussing with the moderators in a private forum that an Arch install by an experienced Arch user (such as myself)+ update + add user to Group + visudo + Alsa + Xorg + network manager/wicd + LXDE/Openbox doesn't take all that much longer than an ArchBang install. It takes me about 40 minutes with a new releng .iso and I have time to make a quick coffee and sandwiches while Xorg is installing. One hour has LibreOffice, Chromium, Mutt, Exaile, SMPlayer, Evince, Shotwell and so on installed.

Is ArchBang a short cut? Yes. Does it save a lot of time? Not that much if you're an experienced Arch user. Can you use AB to install Arch + another desktop. Absolutely. It takes less than 5 minutes to add LXDE to ArchBang so you have dual desktops with ArchBang. Just as pablokal mentioned that I had previously said, if you do this:

# pacman -S gamin lxde 

then add lxdm to /etc/inittab and uncomment it and comment out SLiM:

# Example lines for starting a login manager
#x:5:respawn:/bin/su archvortex -l -c "/bin/bash --login -c /usr/bin/startx >/dev/null 2>&1"
#x:5:respawn:/usr/sbin/gdm -nodaemon
#x:5:respawn:/usr/bin/kdm -nodaemon
#x:5:respawn:/usr/bin/slim >& /dev/null
x:5:respawn:/usr/sbin/lxdm >/dev/null 2>&1

then add lxdm to the DAEMON line in /etc/rc.conf:

DAEMONS=(dbus networkmanager !network !dhcdbd lxdm syslog-ng @alsa)

and then add lxde to your .xinitrc and comment out openbox:

#!/bin/bash
#exec ck-launch-session dbus-launch openbox-session
exec ck-launch-session startlxde

reboot and login with the LXDM and you're using LXDE with ArchBang smile

Disclaimer: If you follow the above instructions and your computer blows up, you grow a third nipple, Barney the Dinosaur comes for a visit or Culture Club starts blaring out of your speakers, I am not responsible. Use at your own risk!! tongue

#11 2011-10-31 00:30:59

Mr Green
Administrator

willxtreme wrote:

Nope I wouldn't put LXDE back but since ArchBang is flexible, I could easily replace Openbox if it ever gets beaten one day tongue (which is possible since Openbox itself is a fork of Blackbox)

That makes me happy..... wink

Comments, suggestions please feel free to contact me mrgreen(at)archbang(dot)org

#12 2011-10-31 03:26:43

pablokal
Administrator
Website

@ AV; please put LXDE install in the wiki and here in the faq, tips section?! Thanks!

#13 2011-10-31 04:33:34

ArchVortex
Retired

@pablokal,

No problem. I'll do it later tonight.

I just created and Arch + LXDE .iso just for fun and it works on virtualbox. Have Xorg, xf86-video (including nouveau), mesa, chromium, exaile, gstreamer, mplayer, network manager and xarchiver included. Maybe I'll play around and start customizing it. I also just made a plain vanilla arch netinstall .iso. Here is the output

[root@ArchVortex releng]# ./build.sh build single netinstall

[mkarchiso] INFO: Configuration settings
[mkarchiso] INFO:                   Command:   create
[mkarchiso] INFO:              Architecture:   i686
[mkarchiso] INFO:         Working directory:   work/i686
[mkarchiso] INFO:    Installation directory:   arch
[mkarchiso] INFO:        Pacman config file:   /etc/pacman.conf
[mkarchiso] INFO:                  Packages:   base

[mkarchiso] INFO: These packages are already installed, skipping.

[mkarchiso] INFO:                  Packages:   memtest86+ syslinux mkinitcpio-nfs-utils nbd

[mkarchiso] INFO: These packages are already installed, skipping.

[mkarchiso] INFO:                  Packages:   aif b43-fwcutter btrfs-progs-unstable crda curl ddrescue dhclient dialog dmraid dnsmasq dnsutils dosfstools elinks gnu-netcat gptfdisk hdparm inetutils ipw2100-fw ipw2200-fw irssi lftp lilo linux-atm mtools netcfg nfs-utils nilfs-utils nmap ntfs-3g ntfsprogs ntp openconnect openssh openvpn parted pptpclient rp-pppoe rsync smartmontools speedtouch tcpdump vpnc wireless_tools wpa_actiond zd1211-firmware

[mkarchiso] INFO: Installing packages to 'work/i686/root-image/'...
[mkarchiso] INFO: Packages installed successfully!
--2011-10-31 10:16:43--  http://www.archlinux.org/mirrorlist/all/
Resolving www.archlinux.org... 66.211.214.131
Connecting to www.archlinux.org|66.211.214.131|:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
Length: 13248 (13K) [text/plain]
Saving to: `work/i686/root-image/etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist'

100%[=====================================================>] 13,248      --.-K/s   in 0.09s   

2011-10-31 10:16:44 (148 KB/s) - `work/i686/root-image/etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist' saved [13248/13248]

Generating locales...
  en_US.UTF-8... done
Generation complete.
==> Starting build: 3.0-ARCH
  -> Parsing hook: [base]
  -> Parsing hook: [udev]
  -> Parsing hook: [memdisk]
  -> Parsing hook: [archiso_shutdown]
  -> Parsing hook: [archiso]
  -> Parsing hook: [archiso_pxe_nbd]
  -> Parsing hook: [archiso_loop_mnt]
  -> Parsing hook: [pata]
  -> Parsing hook: [scsi]
  -> Parsing hook: [sata]
  -> Parsing hook: [usb]
  -> Parsing hook: [fw]
  -> Parsing hook: [pcmcia]
  -> Parsing hook: [filesystems]
  -> Parsing hook: [usbinput]
==> Generating module dependencies
==> Creating xz initcpio image: work/i686/iso/arch/boot/i686/archiso.img
==> Image generation successful
--2011-10-31 10:17:20--  http://pciids.sourceforge.net/v2.2/pci.ids
Resolving pciids.sourceforge.net... 216.34.181.96
Connecting to pciids.sourceforge.net|216.34.181.96|:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
Length: 720281 (703K) [text/plain]
Saving to: `STDOUT'

100%[=====================================================>] 720,281     14.1K/s   in 50s     

2011-10-31 10:18:11 (14.1 KB/s) - written to stdout [720281/720281]

[mkarchiso] INFO:                   Command:   prepare

[mkarchiso] INFO: Cleaning up what we can on root-image
[mkarchiso] INFO: Target 'work/i686/iso/arch/i686/root-image.fs.sfs' does not exist, making it from 'work/i686/root-image'
[mkarchiso] INFO: Creating ext4 image of 585 MiB
[mkarchiso] INFO: Mounting 'work/i686/root-image.fs' on 'work/i686/mnt/root-image'
[mkarchiso] INFO: Total: 576 MiB (100%) | Used: 1 MiB (1%) | Avail: 576 MiB (99%)
[mkarchiso] INFO: Copying 'work/i686/root-image/' to 'work/i686/mnt/root-image/'
[mkarchiso] INFO: Total: 576 MiB (100%) | Used: 268 MiB (47%) | Avail: 309 MiB (53%)
[mkarchiso] INFO: Unmounting 'work/i686/mnt/root-image'
[mkarchiso] INFO: Creating SquashFS image for 'work/i686/root-image.fs', This may take some time...
[mkarchiso] INFO: Image creation done in 01:42 minutes
[mkarchiso] INFO: Target 'work/i686/iso/arch/i686/lib-modules.fs.sfs' does not exist, making it from 'work/i686/lib-modules'
[mkarchiso] INFO: Creating ext4 image of 96 MiB
[mkarchiso] INFO: Mounting 'work/i686/lib-modules.fs' on 'work/i686/mnt/lib-modules'
[mkarchiso] INFO: Total: 93 MiB (100%) | Used: 2 MiB (2%) | Avail: 92 MiB (98%)
[mkarchiso] INFO: Copying 'work/i686/lib-modules/' to 'work/i686/mnt/lib-modules/'
[mkarchiso] INFO: Total: 93 MiB (100%) | Used: 43 MiB (46%) | Avail: 51 MiB (54%)
[mkarchiso] INFO: Unmounting 'work/i686/mnt/lib-modules'
[mkarchiso] INFO: Creating SquashFS image for 'work/i686/lib-modules.fs', This may take some time...
[mkarchiso] INFO: Image creation done in 00:12 minutes
[mkarchiso] INFO: Target 'work/i686/iso/arch/any/usr-share.fs.sfs' does not exist, making it from 'work/i686/usr-share'
[mkarchiso] INFO: Creating ext4 image of 448 MiB
[mkarchiso] INFO: Mounting 'work/i686/usr-share.fs' on 'work/i686/mnt/usr-share'
[mkarchiso] INFO: Total: 434 MiB (100%) | Used: 3 MiB (1%) | Avail: 432 MiB (99%)
[mkarchiso] INFO: Copying 'work/i686/usr-share/' to 'work/i686/mnt/usr-share/'
[mkarchiso] INFO: Total: 434 MiB (100%) | Used: 170 MiB (39%) | Avail: 265 MiB (61%)
[mkarchiso] INFO: Unmounting 'work/i686/mnt/usr-share'
[mkarchiso] INFO: Creating SquashFS image for 'work/i686/usr-share.fs', This may take some time...
[mkarchiso] INFO: Image creation done in 01:03 minutes

[mkarchiso] INFO:                   Command:   checksum

[mkarchiso] INFO: Target 'work/i686/iso/arch/checksum.md5' does not exist, making it from 'work/i686/iso/arch'
[mkarchiso] INFO: Creating checksum file for self-test
[mkarchiso] INFO: Done!

[mkarchiso] INFO:                   Command:   iso
[mkarchiso] INFO:                Image name:   archlinux-2011.10.31-netinstall-i686.iso
[mkarchiso] INFO:                Disk label:   ARCH_201110
[mkarchiso] INFO:            Disk publisher:   Arch Linux <http://www.archlinux.org>
[mkarchiso] INFO:          Disk application:   Arch Linux Live/Rescue CD

[mkarchiso] INFO: Target 'out/archlinux-2011.10.31-netinstall-i686.iso' does not exist, making it from 'work/i686/iso'
[mkarchiso] INFO: Creating ISO image...
xorriso 1.1.6 : RockRidge filesystem manipulator, libburnia project.

[mkarchiso] INFO: Done! | 189M out/archlinux-2011.10.31-netinstall-i686.iso

and the result is a 198.2MB netinstall .iso. Going to test that now.

#14 2011-10-31 06:45:47

pablokal
Administrator
Website

Nice. If you would like others to test it on different hardware, upload it and I'm sure some people including me will try it out.

#15 2011-11-10 01:58:32

ArchVortex
Retired

Waiting for an .iso to finishing cooking. I will continue playing around with LXDE and Arch. It looks like it will work. Only added:

lxde
gamin
leafpad
file-roller
obconf
networkmanager
network-manager-applet
modemmanager
usb_modeswitch
mobile-broadband-provider-info
midori
xorg
xorg-server-utils
xorg-utils
xorg-xinit
xorg-xkill
mesa 

The end result is an .iso of  597.7 MB. Then I'll test it and add some packages. Thinking about:

Chromium instead of Midori
pcmanfm-mod as the default file manager (thanks pablokal)
gnome-mplayer
epdfview
audacious
xfburn (I'm using it now and loving it. Way faster than Nero. thanks pablokal)
packer
flashplugin
geeqie
scrot
lxmed
ttf-ms-fonts

and then add some wallpaper, themes and stuff. Maybe by this weekend. Think I'll borrow the ArchBang build.sh also. smile

Working name for this more for just fun project is either KhristOS (play on the Greek word khristos for Christ) or KhristArch. Those who know me as Rev. Dr. will understand why I chose the name/s.

#16 2011-11-10 02:00:48

Mr Green
Administrator

Does this mean Archbang project has been forked already?

#17 2011-11-10 02:12:07

ArchVortex
Retired

Hahahaha!! Maybe thinking of adding openbox to have a dual desktop option. Of course this all just for fun. I don't have time to do anything serious for an OS

#18 2011-11-10 02:47:18

Mr Green
Administrator

Lxdm job done...

#19 2011-11-10 03:03:27

ArchVortex
Retired

Yep!! And I'll use Allan's lxdm theme.  wink

#20 2011-11-10 04:24:51

pablokal
Administrator
Website

Working name for this more for just fun project is either KhristOS (play on the Greek word khristos for Christ) or KhristArch.

Being raised religious, I felt my eyebrows rise and I wondered: isn't a bit unmodest to use the name etcetera?
Unless you want to give it a strong Christian theming, which I would regret.

I would propose Larix, the latin word for Larch= LXDE + Arch

#21 2011-11-10 04:56:40

ArchVortex
Retired

Actually I have a bible version of Puppy Linux in Indonesian that I created that I use to revive old computers here for churches, Christian schools and charities that I kind of already nicknamed KhristOS. I was thinking I could call it Lxarch and confuse people on how to pronounce it. big_smile

#22 2011-11-10 11:09:36

Mr Green
Administrator

Can you configure lxpanel in a similar way to tint2? The first post image panel does look very like Slickness_Black theme which I love

Lxde mint does look very good much better than Lubuntu [which I have running on my other halfs laptop]

Might need a little more convincing ...

#23 2011-11-10 12:06:59

ArchVortex
Retired

I was having trouble adding in stuff and turning it into a livecd with Arch so I've changed plans. I'm in the process of making an ArchBang .iso slightly pimped and if it's successful then I'll make a fully loaded Pimp My ArchBang for fun and for me for installations. I'm thinking:

Chromium
Qt
VLC
Exaile or maybe Clementine
LibreOffice (with only calc,impress and writer)
Gimp
Mutt
Archey (my slightly modified version for ArchBang that I use)
Package Browser
Evince
Lxterminal because I don't like urxvt
Seahorse
and maybe a few other things.

I already have network manager dialed in for mobile broadband modems.

Wondering what the tally in MB will be for the one cooking now and the pimped one will be. Not worried about .iso size.

I think this needs to start it's own thread. lol

#24 2011-11-10 12:40:43

Mr Green
Administrator

Gimp! live dvd comes to mind....

Do like Exaile

Who needs Libreoffice use Google docs,spread stuff...

#25 2011-11-10 17:01:09

Zwopper

I use Openbox and ADeskbar as my panel - works great!
I've loved ADeskbar ever since I first run in to a really early release of it while I was using ChrunchBang.
tYjd3Mw

My artwork at deviantART   |    My Tweet   | My G+

ASUS Eee PC 1000 HE | 2GB | 120GB OCZ Agility 2 - SSD |

#26 2011-11-10 17:10:46

pablokal
Administrator
Website

Yes, adeskbar, it's great; funny thing is you use it in a totally different way as I do, what proves to me how flexible and multi-purpose it is. It was a blue Monday in AB, but pearls before swine.. sorry folks, but the truth has to be told.
Yeah, I still miss that period when ADComp had regularly nice surprises for us.

#27 2011-11-10 17:24:08

Zwopper

I used to use it as a traditional launcher dock, but it's got so much fun stuff in it as of late. smile

My artwork at deviantART   |    My Tweet   | My G+

ASUS Eee PC 1000 HE | 2GB | 120GB OCZ Agility 2 - SSD |

#28 2011-11-10 21:10:45

mike4ca

The video about adeskbar as seen at http://adeskbar.tuxfamily.org/ is cool as well.  This is where I have a hard time.  I see the cool stuff and can't resist.  Need to remember KISS.

#29 2011-11-11 01:47:11

Mr Green
Administrator

Zwopper wrote:

I've loved ADeskbar ever since I first run in to a really early release of it while I was using ChrunchBang.

That is one sweet looking panel smile

#30 2011-11-11 05:01:07

pablokal
Administrator
Website

Need to remember KISS.

Adeskbar needs python and has some dependencies OK, but for what is brings it is very lightweight on resources.
I think conky uses a lot more. But you are right: you can very well do without.

#31 2011-11-12 03:58:44

ArchVortex
Retired

The end result of my Pimp ArchBang was a 757.1 MB .iso that works!! The changes I made to the LiveCD part worked except I messed up the Conky image a bit (should have given an extra blank line under the image) but everything else worked out fine. I learned a lot about creating a livecd and understand the fine tuning The Cook has to go through to get the little things right on an ArchBang release.

I added LXDE, LibreOffice, Chromium (replacing FF-Aurora), VLC, Gimp, Exaile (replacing deadbeef), completed Network Manager for 3G modems, Evince, Deluge (replacing transmission-gtk), Skype, File-Roller (replacing xarchiver), ttf-ms-fonts, lxterminal, xchat, seahorse (pgp keys), mutt, archey, package browser were added to the updated 2011.11 release (3.1.0-4 kernel). Also added more themes and icon sets. I had to adjust some of Will's instructions to my liking and get the source files archiso folder into custompkgs so I could work on the iso part and also on the livecd in the generated work folder. It was a bit of a pain getting all the AUR packages into custompkgs so I could build a custom directory. Anyways, I can sympathize with Will now about what he goes through making a custom livecd.

#32 2011-11-12 14:55:05

pablokal
Administrator
Website

And the nagging starts: like throw some things out so it stays beneath the 700mb border.
Like Libre Office  and evince...

#33 2011-11-12 15:02:22

Mr Green
Administrator

You would have to throw everything out to get anywhere near

http://www.slitaz.org/

#34 2011-11-12 19:40:43

ArchVortex
Retired

If I were to do it I wouldn't care about the "700 MB" cut off level. Most pc/laptops can handle DVD or USB installs. If you look at the major players in the Linux world, most have abandoned the CD for DVD. Even 'bumtu' will be released as a DVD next year.

#35 2011-11-13 02:13:46

Mr Green
Administrator

This is true. I use usb installs all the time.

#36 2011-11-23 12:59:31

Mr Green
Administrator

Would you mind sharing your themes and settings for screenshot, have installed LXDE and would like a dark desktop similar to yours. Also where can I get arch logo?

#37 2011-11-23 21:19:16

ArchVortex
Retired

Go to ftp://ftp.archlinux.org/other/artwork/ for Arch logos, icons, wallpaper.

I generally use Crux for a light theme or QDarkStudio4 from DeviantArt for my dark theme. My black wallpapers are made in Gimp layering Arch stuff and I use the Arch font "ttf-k karatdemo-normal from AUR.

#38 2011-11-24 00:37:48

Mr Green
Administrator

I like QDarkStudio4 smile it was the logo I was interested in, I have loads of other questions as I start to set it up but am afraid to ask sad

It is quite easy to configure panel so soon figured out how to change menu button....

Thing is all Archbang keyboard shortcuts have gone, wondered if I should just move rc.xml to lxde one or edit it?

Found this background

http://img87.imageshack.us/img87/3063/m … 80x800.png

#39 2011-11-24 01:51:27

ArchVortex
Retired

Ask away!! I would defintely add lxadmin-git from AUR as it gives you the LXDE Control Center.

You might like this one:

tYmZkdg

Link is here http://ompldr.org/vYmZkdg/470719-1280x8 … -CHILL.jpg

#40 2011-11-24 02:04:20

ArchVortex
Retired

My wife is running ArchBang with the lxpanel instead of tint2. I'm trying it right now and like it. Here's my desktop at the moment on my work laptop

screenshot-01.png

#41 2011-11-24 02:27:44

Mr Green
Administrator

That is sweet smile

Would you mind posting you lxdm.conf? I set up paths the gtk and background does not seem to work, mint lxde just has names of files

Archbang with lxpanel what have we got to do to convince Will smile

#42 2011-11-24 03:04:36

ArchVortex
Retired

You'll need to add

@conky

to  /etc/xdg/lxsession/LXDE/autostart to get conky to start at startup.

I use nitrogen to handle backgrounds. Edit your ~/.xinitrc file so it looks like the following

( sleep 3 && nitrogen --restore /usr/share/lxde/wallpapers ) &
exec ck-launch-session startlxde

and then nitrogen will handle the backgrounds and not pcmanfm which just reverts you back to /usr/share/lxde/wallpapers/blue.jpg on start up.

#43 2011-11-24 03:07:30

ArchVortex
Retired

The only problem I've experienced so far using lxpanel is you can't logout/exit from the menu and have to use the OB Menu.

#44 2011-11-24 03:08:54

Mr Green
Administrator

So you do not use a log in manager...I was just messing around with lxdm.conf

Will try again later ....

Assume you can add conky to lxdes own autostart? in ~/.config

Still want to sort out keyboard shortcuts miss Super + T smile

#45 2011-11-24 04:33:37

pablokal
Administrator
Website

Archbang with lxpanel what have we got to do to convince Will smile

I like the transparent film thin like tint panel much more.
It oozes transparency and simplicity as it should.
Why should a OB environment look like Gnome?

#46 2011-11-24 04:58:52

ArchVortex
Retired

Although I've tried, I've never really liked tint2. I'm happy now with the lxpanel. I wouldn't want to see ArchBang change. Panel changes should be LTTU.

#47 2011-11-24 10:27:15

Mr Green
Administrator

Lxpanel would give Archbang more of a desktop feeling.

Was just trying out LXDE and it does give me that feeling of Gnome2

As a rule I do not use a panel at all useless clutter smile

Pure OB is where its at

Disclaimer Mr Green reserves the right to use a panel during periods of laziness

#48 2011-11-24 14:21:01

scjet

Arch is, by default,  KISS.
Arch + Openbox is, by default, KISS with a KISS DE/WM gui.
and thats definitely fine by me.
Oh, and if I want more (or less ?), I just pacman -S <whatever>, as you guys mentioned, ..., 'dats it.

Last edited by scjet (2011-11-24 14:23:16)

#49 2011-11-24 15:00:14

pablokal
Administrator
Website

Disclaimer Mr Green reserves the right to use a panel during periods of laziness

OK, OK, but not more than two hours a day!!

#50 2011-11-24 16:00:41

Mr Green
Administrator

Running pure Openbox is the way to go, does not take long to get used to not having a panel.

And no Dock or launchers!!!!

#51 2011-11-24 16:20:15

pablokal
Administrator
Website

Yes, Sirr!!

#52 2011-11-24 19:38:56

ArchVortex
Retired

Will play around with adeskbar (autohide) and no panel later tonight. I want to change my Conky to a single line across the top too.

#53 2011-11-25 00:39:04

Mr Green
Administrator

Used to run conky, adesklets and Pypanel... so much clutter

Want some Gnome3 Shell Unity action then take a look menu://applications in Pcmanfm smile

#54 2011-11-25 06:01:35

ArchVortex
Retired

Here's my panel-less desktop. It is easy to get used to but not practical if you need to minimize something and then maximize it again. Autohide tint2 panel will do the job nicely and stay out of the way.

2011-11-25--1322222015_1280x800_scrot.png

#55 2011-11-25 06:20:20

oliver
Administrator

ArchVortex wrote:

Here's my panel-less desktop. It is easy to get used to but not practical if you need to minimize something and then maximize it again.

I consider myself somewhat of a desktop minimalist (no icons, no conky etc) but I draw the line at losing a panel for the reason you just mentioned.

However, one alternative would be to open obconf, go to the 'appearance | windows titles' section and add S to the button order.  You'll then have the option to 'roll up' the app rather than minimize it (and you could, of course, remove the minimize option)

#56 2011-11-25 09:16:10

Mr Green
Administrator

Shade is an option but why not use Alt-Tab to see where you are at... sure there are other options too

http://urukrama.wordpress.com/category/openbox/

I am not telling anyone what they can or cannot use far from it smile

#57 2011-11-27 22:14:25

mike4ca

oliver wrote:
ArchVortex wrote:

Here's my panel-less desktop. It is easy to get used to but not practical if you need to minimize something and then maximize it again.

I consider myself somewhat of a desktop minimalist (no icons, no conky etc) but I draw the line at losing a panel for the reason you just mentioned.

However, one alternative would be to open obconf, go to the 'appearance | windows titles' section and add S to the button order.  You'll then have the option to 'roll up' the app rather than minimize it (and you could, of course, remove the minimize option)

This inspired me to add the shade button.  I had seen that with other XFCE desktops.  Actually I replaced the minimize button with the rollup shade button.  Then I got rid of tint2.  And I got curious while writing this post.  I went back and removed the shade button.  But I can still rollup by rolling the middle mouse wheel while over the title bar.  I better put the button back though, sometimes I use the touchpad. Scratch that, I don't need the shade button as the scroll on the right side of the touch pad works just like the mouse wheel.  I also forgo icons in my menu a while back.

I laugh at myself.  When I first started Linux I would stumble upon a distro with only Fluxbox (or similar) and would move on because I thought it to be too "primative".  Settling instead for the eye candy of floating cubes and fancy effects.  Then ran into some stability issues.  Now I am back to very simple desktop, yet configured exactly how I want and in my eyes, elegant.

P.S. I also mixed Peptide and Elegant_Brit themes.  I am slowly merging the colors and making them blend with the emanate wallpaper that came with the version of archbang I started with.  Will post under artwork sometime once I get done.

Last edited by mike4ca (2011-11-27 22:17:43)

#58 2011-11-28 13:54:00

pablokal
Administrator
Website

But I can still rollup by rolling the middle mouse wheel while over the title bar.

I don't use rollups ever but I had completely forgotten about this option; thanks for reminding me.

#59 2011-12-11 16:07:56

albatroz

Zwopper wrote:

http://ompldr.org/tYjd3Mw

Hello!

I discovered Adeskbar and it's really very simple to install and very fast & easy to use with ArchBang!

I like very much "your" graphical adeskbar version and I would like to ask you how to install it (I'm ready to remove totally the standard bar if it's easy to do): if you have time for that, thanks a lot in advance!

Best regards,

wink

P.S. : For the time being, I use also Zenwalk 7, SalineOS 1.5 & LiquidLemur on other PCs.

Last edited by albatroz (2011-12-11 16:08:44)

#60 2011-12-11 16:26:05

pablokal
Administrator
Website

You don't have to reinstall Adeskbar or so, just right click on Adeskbar, pref., and select fixed mode aka panel mode.

#61 2011-12-11 16:53:35

albatroz

pablokal wrote:

You don't have to reinstall Adeskbar or so, just right click on Adeskbar, pref., and select fixed mode aka panel mode.

OK Pablocal, but my English is not as good as my French, my Portuguese and even my Spanish...

Let me try to explain: I know how to handle the Adeskbar stuff (v0.5.0, but I don't know how to obtain the graphical icons from "Zwopper" who seems to be a long time Adeskbar user...

I don't find the "aqua panel" mode, I have only the "Mode Panel" box to check without other choice (styles are "edgy" or "floaty")...

And I would like to remove the "standard" bar, if it's possible...

Thanks ins advance for your advise!

wink

#62 2011-12-11 22:25:31

mike4ca

albatroz wrote:

And I would like to remove the "standard" bar, if it's possible...

You can uninstall tint2 ("standard" panel for ArchBang) with pacman or you can simply remove it from the openbox autostart.  From the OpenBox menu find Openbox Config - Edit autostart and either remove the tint2 line or comment it out by putting the # sign in front of tint2.

#63 2011-12-12 03:43:28

albatroz

mike4ca wrote:

You can uninstall tint2 ("standard" panel for ArchBang) with pacman or you can simply remove it from the openbox autostart.  From the OpenBox menu find Openbox Config - Edit autostart and either remove the tint2 line or comment it out by putting the # sign in front of tint2.

Thanks a lot!

Sorry for the time to answer: I was struggling with an old G5 Macintosh to update (ie. hardware limitation)...

I don't understand why I don't have the "aqua" option (the icons set seems more sexy): may be it's possible to trick a config file?

Or maybe this is not the icons set used by "Zwopper" (http://ompldr.org/vYjd3Mw)? Do you know where to find them?

Thanks again!

wink

#64 2011-12-12 12:29:36

mike4ca

Aqua is probably a theme.  Hopefully someone will be able to point you specifically where to find it. 

In general, I have looked at art.gnome.org and deviantart for gtk themes.  If you download a theme it can be stored in your home folder or /usr/share/themes.

#65 2011-12-12 16:10:51

pablokal
Administrator
Website

ask zwopper here or on deviant art: http://zwopper.deviantart.com/gallery/

#66 2011-12-13 14:19:33

segfault

Hi, just wanted to add my two cents about panels. I use fbpanel with Openbox on my Arch desktop. I too am attached to having a menu button on my taskbar. I especially like how easily customizable it is. On my laptop, where I'm running Archbang, I use xdotool to hack a "menu" onto tint2.

#67 2011-12-13 14:34:19

pablokal
Administrator
Website

@ segfault: did you know that adeskbar is another way of adding a panel with a menu?

#68 2011-12-14 21:32:46

mike4ca

segfault wrote:

Hi, just wanted to add my two cents about panels.

My two cents?  I am familiar with that phrase, but we have very diverse community here from around the world.  For many english is a second (or lower) language.  I have tried to refrain from using that expression myself.  I was going to explain it in case there were some who did not know.  However, I checked wikipedia first.  Of course there is an entry for the expression.  See here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/My_two_cents_%28idiom%29.

1 cent = 1/100th of a US Dollar.

Board footer