You are not logged in.

#1 2011-05-26 03:15:43

pablokal
Administrator
Website

Where are the new Arch Linux release images?

The question is answered by Dieter who is coordinating the Arch Releases it seems.

Where are the new Arch Linux release images?
This is a question I get asked a lot recently. The latest official images are a year old. This is not inherently bad, unless you pick the wrong mirror from the outdated mirrorlist during a netinstall, or are using hardware which is not supported by the year old kernel/drivers. A core install will yield a system that needs drastic updating, which is a bit cumbersome. There are probably some other problems I'm not aware of. Many of these problems can be worked around with ('pacman -Sy mirrorlist' on the install cd for example), but it's not exactly convenient.

Over the past years (the spare time in between the band, my search for an apartment in Ghent and a bunch of other things) I've worked towards fully refactoring and overthrowing how releases are being done. Most of that is visible in the releng build environment repository. Every 3 days, the following happens automatically:

packages to build images (archiso) and some of which are included on the images (aif and libui-sh) get rebuilt. They are actually git versions, the latter two have a separate develop branch which is used. Normal packages get updated the normal way.
    the images are rebuilt, and the dual images get generated
    the images, the packages and their sources are synced to the public on http://releng.archlinux.org

Actually things are bit more involved but this is the gist of it. All of this is now run on a dedicated VPS donated by airVM.

I never really completed the aif automatic test suite, somewhere along the way I decided to focus on crowdsourcing test results. The weight of testing images (and all possible combinations of features) has always been huge, and trying to script tasks would either get way complicated or insufficient. So the new approach is largely inspired by the core and testing repositories: we automatically build testing images, people report feedback, and if there is sufficient feedback for a certain set of images (or a bunch of similar sets of images) that allows us to conclude we have some good material, we can promote the set to official media.
The latest piece of the puzzle is the new releng feedback application which Tom Willemsen contributed. (again: outsourcing FTW). It is still fairly basic, but should already be useful enough. It lists pretty much all features you can use with archiso/AIF based images and automatically updates the list of isos based on what it sees appearing online, so I think it will be a good indicator on what works and what doesn't, and that for each known set of isos.

So there. Bleeding edge images for everyone, and for those who want some quality assurance: the more you contribute, the more likely you'll see official releases.

While contributing feedback is now certainly very easy, don't think that only providing feedback is sufficient, it takes time to maintain and improve aif and archiso as well and contributions in that department are still very welcome. I don't think we'll get to the original plan of official archiso releases for each stable kernel version, that seems like a lot of work despite all the above.

source: http://dieter.plaetinck.be/where_are_th … mages.html

This is of importance for the appearance of the next version of Archbang, that, I expect, will follow a new release of Arch.

Getting your questions answered here at ArchBang Forums
Please! Always give hardware info, if there is a chance that 's relevant: #lspci -vnn
On Arch(bang) and Openbox: http://stillstup.blogspot.com/

#2 2011-05-29 05:48:39

ArchVortex
Retired AB Overlord

Re: Where are the new Arch Linux release images?

Last week I installed the May 19th core .iso to play around with E-17 and had no problems with the installation. Previously I had had problems with some of the images in Feb and March.

GUI's?? We don't need no stinkin' GUI's!!!
ArchBang-OpenRC / Slackware / Gentoo / FreeBSD / HaikuOS

#3 2011-05-29 09:13:00

ancleessen4

+1
archlinux 2011-05-19 netinstall 64bit.
No problems.

#4 2011-05-29 14:40:51

pablokal
Administrator
Website

Thanks for letting us know!!

Please! Always give hardware info, if there is a chance that 's relevant: #lspci -vnn

#5 2011-06-18 23:54:26

ArchVortex
Retired AB Overlord

Archiso is changing from using aufs2 to dm-snapshot. Aufs2 was dropped from the 2.6.39.1 kernel as its a pain to patch in each new kernel according to Tobias. The archiso wiki will change shortly to reflect the new improvements(?) Bye-bye union layer filesystem and hello device-mapper + snapshot module. It will also use bash scripts instead of Makefile. So much for using Poison-LiveCD-Creator which was an easy way to make your own flavored .iso and relied heavily on Make. This also affects Larch because it also uses aufs2. I'm not sure how ArchBang was being created but I'm guessing this will also affect the next release of ArchBang until the new documentation procedure is uploaded to the Wiki.

#6 2011-06-19 05:29:21

pablokal
Administrator
Website

Why not making an install iso with a slightly older kernel that still can use aufs?
It is no problem to downgrade a kernel.
For instance #pacman -U /var/cache/pacman/pkg/kernel26-2.6.38.3-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz
It is no problem to update/upgrade the kernel afterwards.
I think functionality goes first. When the latest isn't the greatest, you shouldn't be dogmatic andnot  go for the lesser functionality.

#7 2011-06-19 06:16:38

ArchVortex
Retired AB Overlord

Totally agree about functionality. Unfortunately, I'm not skilled enough yet in .iso making to accomplish that. I still have the 2.6.38.8 kernel in my pkg cache though. The problem is when Larch or Poison download the base packages, the packages have to be in the main repository. Aufs2 and Aufs2-util are now in AUR since the 2.6.39.1 kernel is no longer being patched for aufs2. I'm not advanced enough to work around this and am currently waiting for someone on the Arch Forum to come up with a solution. I had planned yesterday to make an ArchBang .iso with networkmanager instead of wicd because I have friends who want to try ArchBang, but like me, use a usb modem most of the time which isn't supported by wicd.

One last thing from Dieter in the Arch-Releng mail-list:

Dieter Plaetinck to Arch

On Sat, 18 Jun 2011 23:20:33 -0500
Yaro Kasear <yaro@marupa.net> wrote:

> I'm talking about the images found here: http://www.archlinux.org/download/
>
> We're long overdue for a new "snapshot"
> (...)

> The "automatic network configuration" is broken now that networking
> in Archlinux has changed how it works, for example.

reported bug? provided patch?

> So, I'm asking a simple question, with the dm-snapshot its being merged into
> the mainline releng, does this mean that we won't have to wait terribly much
> longer for a new image?

nope, nothing to do with it. in fact this is disruptive and may cause some regressions.

> Because, frankly, we could have easily soon (...blah blah)

There are way too few contributions, if things go as they are going now, we might see a new release at the end of the year,
or next year.  If more people in the community would contribute bugfixes the process could go quicker.

Dieter

That doesn't sound promising hmm

#8 2011-06-19 15:12:03

pablokal
Administrator
Website

That doesn't sound promising

I agree completely. When there is this atmosphere of rapprochements and  blaming of lack of activity, it seems a project is coming in dead waters.
Btw why you don't use an older AB. iso from last february and a usb stick with the needed networkmanager packages on it and copy it to the new installation and install it.
That's a quite workable solution.

#9 2011-06-19 19:23:36

ArchVortex
Retired AB Overlord

You're right, it is a workable solution and I used it to install ArchBang on my older laptop after you suggested to me before in another thread. Thank you for that advice! I would just like to make an iso that can be burned or copied on to a USB stick that my other friends can use and install themselves without much tinkering.

I just made an iso with CTKArch and will test later this morning with a computer at work (nobody really uses it and the IT guy lets me experiment because I got him hooked on Linux).

The one great thing about Arch is it lets you learn and get as dirty or hands off as you want to be. Right now I'm learning the hows and whys of making an iso. After this, I'll revisit file systems and build off of what I learned before.  After that, who knows. I seem to learn several new things everyday.

#10 2011-06-24 11:18:24

ArchVortex
Retired AB Overlord

DOH!!! Was just going through the ArchBang document that comes with ArchBang and saw Willextreme's instructions on how to use archiso and make your own custompkg folder with AUR packages. This solves the aufs2 problem. Add the folder to the repositories in pacman.conf and Bob's your uncle, the new kernel problem should hopefully be solved. I can add network manager here too and libreoffice, lxpanel, etc. I'll try this in the morning.

#11 2011-07-06 03:26:43

ArchVortex
Retired AB Overlord

That didn't solve the aufs2 problem. I don't really want to install the patched 2.6.39.1 by Calimera yet.  Still no releases from releng. I guess this is a bigger problem then first anticipated. No word from Dieter on any progress on the ArchLinux releng mail list :-(

Board footer