You are not logged in.

#1 2017-11-16 12:33:35

memvar

keeping old /home partition with new install, GRUB install failed

First post, please help. I´m on the 5 day without any success.

I´m trying to install archbang (before crunchbang plus plus), while keeping my existing /home partition. But it didn´t work out so far. various error messages from different attempts with grub or syslinux.

fdisk -l
tells me my SSD´s
Disklabel type: gpt

before I used
/dev/sda1 for root
/dev/sda2 for /home

mounting /dev/sda2 as /home seemed to work fine, no errors

I tried to install the new /root system over /dev/sda1,
or made an extra partion for /boot
/dev/sda1 /boot
/dev/sda2 /home
/dev/sda3 /

How do i need to format my SSD to make it work?
Is it even possible to do this one way or another?
Or do i need to format my whole SSD if i want to install archbang?

Thank you.
P.S.: I have a thinkpad x201 if that has something to do with it.

Last edited by memvar (2017-11-16 12:38:05)

#2 2017-11-17 11:54:19

Mr Green
Administrator

Re: keeping old /home partition with new install, GRUB install failed

You really need to read guides on Arch wiki for setting up an Ssd drive, you need to reserve a partition for boot/ bios

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/GR … structions

Without it grub is never going to work.

I would certainly backup any data you wish to keep before creating a new partition table.

Comments, suggestions please feel free to contact me mrgreen(at)archbang(dot)org

#3 2017-11-28 19:33:11

LizziAS

you need to be sure to have a 100mb partition for your gpt partition table and after you format it to anything then mark it as bios_grub.  this is easily done with gparted.  I highly recommend using gparted esp if you have multiple drives, so you can be sure and look before selecting each partition and be sure it's the right one before you select it for your partitioning scheme.

so you are using a ssd, and so i assume you are using btrfs since you are using a boot partition.  please be sure that when you install grub in step 7 that your system is reporting bios and not uefi.  if you use uefi then you will need a fat32 partition of 256 mb mounted as /boot/efi.  if you are on bios then i have 1024 mb formated as ext2 mounted as /boot

just be sure when you mount /home that you DO NOT reformat it

i've been told that ssd requires 10% unformatted space.  I dont know if that's true. 

do you intend to use f2fs?

#4 2017-11-28 19:36:05

LizziAS

see here this partitioning scheme:

it requires the folders i mounted in /home to first be mounted not in home duing install and then edited after first boot to mount in /home

#
# /etc/fstab: static file system information
#
# <file system>    <dir>    <type>    <options>    <dump>    <pass>
tmpfs    /tmp    tmpfs   nodev,nosuid   0  0
# /dev/sdd4
/dev/sdd4               /             btrfs         rw,relatime,space_cache,subvolid=5,subvol=/    0 0

# /dev/sdb4
UUID=this number    /home/user/Public       ntfs          rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,user_id=0,group_id=0,allow_other,blksize=4096    0 0

# /dev/sdb8
UUID=this number    /home/user/Downloads    ext4          rw,relatime,data=ordered    0 2

# /dev/sdb7
UUID=this number    /tmp          ext4          rw,relatime,data=ordered    0 2

# /dev/sdb6
UUID=this number    /var/tmp      ext4          rw,relatime,data=ordered    0 2

# /dev/sdd3
UUID=this number    /home         btrfs         rw,relatime,space_cache,subvolid=5,subvol=/    0 0

# /dev/sdd2 LABEL=boot
UUID=this number    /boot         ext2          rw,relatime,block_validity,barrier,user_xattr,acl    0 2

# /dev/sda4
UUID=this number    /home/user/Windows      ntfs          rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,user_id=0,group_id=0,allow_other,blksize=4096    0 0

# /dev/sdb5
UUID=this number    none          swap          defaults      0 0

tmpfs     /tmp    tmpfs   nodev,nosuid,size-6G 0  0

so in my example above on install don't use the /home/user but just use /Downloads /Public /Windows etc and before you edit fstab make sure those directories exist in /home/user/ then edit fstab and then reboot

Last edited by LizziAS (2017-11-28 19:40:55)

Board footer