You are not logged in.

#1 2017-10-16 18:26:59

handy

Hello again & thanks, plus a GRUB error...

Hi there, long time no speak. smile

I was very happy to hear that ArchBang was supporting Artoo & friends OpenRC initiative, for all of the reasons why, as all systemd alternatives should be fostered. Another very important reason that I was happy to hear that AB was involved, is due to ArchBang having, (from my experience over the years) a really nice forum atmosphere, with clear thinking level headed management that knows how to communicate with respect & clarity.

So thanks Mr Green for the kind donation of so many hours of your life, over all of these years, since you took the reigns of AB. <deep bow to you>

Change of topic:

A few days ago I tried a few times to install the most recent AB .iso, downloaded from sourceforge. I had pre-arranged my partitions, /boot , / , /home , /swap , & formatted them ext2 & ext4 for the rest. Everything went well - I like the installer - but when it came to boot, GRUB gave me a short error (which I was too stupid to write down for you) & that was the end of the game. So I tried again without a /boot, & then again with just one partion & still no go?

By this time I decided that there may be a bug in the install script (though it may reside in my brain, with a swarm of others) & then, (reluctantly) I downloaded the Artix .iso & installed it - with no problems - beyond the miserably slow download speeds for any packages that are coming from their server.

Anyway, I just thought I'd say thanks to you, & then irritate you some (sorry about that) with a non-desriptive error that makes it hard for you to know exactly where to look...

Beyond that, I'm still in the process of creating a custom Openbox install that focusses on the very much personally customized Worker file manager as the front end of my system (the same way that I've been using Linux - or BSD - for the last decade). Just about all packages are in place, & those that came with Artix that I don't want are all but gone.

I'm about ready to clone the drive so that I have a backup to go to, & then get to ripping LXQT out of it, as I don't need its GUI stuff. I expect that I'm going to have some fun working out how this Artix system is booting, as I installed it using autologin, & I don't see ~/.xinitrc & I know that startx has no effect? That's all new to me...

I'm hoping the following link to a wiki page that I wrote for Manjaro is still applicable too?

https://wiki.manjaro.org/index.php?titl … 26_SystemD

I expect that for better & worse, you'll see a bit more of me around here in the future. wink

Last edited by handy (2017-10-16 18:49:43)

#2 2017-10-17 15:36:04

pablokal
Administrator
Website

Re: Hello again & thanks, plus a GRUB error...

Good news you're still alive and kickin'.. greets P.

Getting your questions answered here at ArchBang Forums
Please! Always give hardware info, if there is a chance that 's relevant: #lspci -vnn
On Arch(bang) and Openbox: http://stillstup.blogspot.com/

#3 2017-10-17 18:38:04

handy

Thanks pab' smile

Same goes for you... wink

Nice to see that you are still here lending your valuable support.

#4 2017-10-18 08:48:14

Mr Green
Administrator

Autologin is in .bash_profile and tty6 (/etc/conf.d).. do have guide on forum (http://bbs.archbang.org/viewtopic.php?id=5906)

Grub issue is more from installer itself, can be fixed by loading an iso live and then arch-chrooting in....

I am trying to support Artix as much as possible. Updates are slowly coming through as they set up a more robust build system. Am well aware this takes a lot of time and effort. OpenRC version will get updated soon and I will mirror repos (at least system, galaxy and world).

Comments, suggestions please feel free to contact me mrgreen(at)archbang(dot)org

#5 2017-10-19 00:16:25

handy

Thanks for the info' Mr Green.

All in all, good stuff.

Board footer