You are not logged in.

#1 2017-09-12 18:20:37

lopaka

Some troubles with artix

After a couple days of trying to install artix on a Dell precision 490, I was finally successful. The designations of the hard drives kept changing after the install and would not boot.

So I have been using AB for about 4 years and was comfortable with system.d,  but I understand everything changes. I am all for learning something new. I don't post very often because I like to search and find the answers for myself. It helps my memory in my old age. What I can't find is how to activate a service after I port it down. I was able to start lxdm with a simple change in /etc/config.d but how do I go about starting services like cupsd and rpcbind and ntfs. Van someone provide a link showing the steps to start new services.

i look forwad to having a lot of fun once I get the hang of it.

Thanks in advance.

#2 2017-09-13 08:13:24

lopaka

Re: Some troubles with artix

I just stumbled on the "rc-service" command. I believe this is what I have been looking for.

#3 2017-09-13 08:20:00

Xaver

@ lopaka
Have you checked Chapter 2 in 'OpenRC, an alternative to systemd' ?
https://wiki.manjaro.org/index.php?title=Openrc

#4 2017-09-13 08:50:41

Mr Green
Administrator

I am aware of some issues with Artix, namely packages are not up to date with Arch. know that they are working hard on getting things running and this of course takes time.

gentoo wiki is also a good source for Openrc.

Comments, suggestions, donations please feel free to contact me mrgreen(at)archbang(dot)org Artix information https://artix-linux.github.io/migrate/

#5 2017-09-13 14:05:13

lopaka

First I want to thank you for responding.

I was able to use the "rc-service" command to start cups and all works well there. Iwas also able to start rpcbind but not NFS. I tried to download nfs-openrc but pacman says not found. I did download nfs-utils but there does not seam to be a daemon for nfs.

Is there a list of openrc packages that are available?

Before moving to archbang, I was using FreeBSD for about ten years. The openrc is quite a bit different than the BSD rc.conf I used to use.

Thanks for the link to manjaro.

Board footer