You are not logged in.

#1 2017-08-11 06:01:04

VVedran

systemd and eudev-systemd conflict

Hello everyone, did not update system some time, and when I did try today I run in some problems.
When I do pacman -Syyu I get this:

:: Synchronizing package databases...
 core                     124.4 KiB   512K/s 00:00 [######################] 100%
 extra                   1660.0 KiB   496K/s 00:03 [######################] 100%
 community                  4.0 MiB   478K/s 00:09 [######################] 100%
 multilib                 173.2 KiB   487K/s 00:00 [######################] 100%
 arch-openrc               98.1 KiB  92.6K/s 00:01 [######################] 100%
 arch-nosystemd            28.5 KiB  1426K/s 00:00 [######################] 100%
 arch-nosystemd.sig       566.0   B  0.00B/s 00:00 [######################] 100%
:: Starting full system upgrade...
resolving dependencies...
looking for conflicting packages...
:: systemd and eudev-systemd are in conflict (systemd-tools). Remove eudev-systemd? [y/N] 
error: unresolvable package conflicts detected
error: failed to prepare transaction (conflicting dependencies)
:: systemd and eudev-systemd are in conflict

I don't have systemd installed and don't know why is it pushing to install.
It is openrc with eudev. Maybe I installed something that needed some systemd packages and now want to replace eudev with systemd to update it.
Anyone know what could be couse of this?

Last edited by VVedran (2017-08-11 09:14:25)

#2 2017-08-13 08:48:16

Mr Green
Administrator

Re: systemd and eudev-systemd conflict

You will need to reinstall or convert to Artix repos. Currently working towards full conversion to Artix packages.. this will take sometime.

Might be worth reading this how to convert your system https://artix-linux.github.io/migrate/

At some point the repos we used to use will be deleted in favour of Artix, if you are still having problems then please feel free to email me.

Comments, suggestions, donations please feel free to contact me mrgreen(at)archbang(dot)org Artix information https://artixlinux.org/migrate.php

#3 2017-08-13 23:07:45

RedDevil

I have just got a Ryzen 1600X box working and I understand that the lts version of linux (as used by Artix) is not adequate (hung during boot).  Not using 'core' I think means I would be limited to linux-lts unless I manipulate the repos to update the kernel.  Maybe there is a simple way forward that I am not aware of so any info would be appreciated.

#4 2017-08-14 08:16:53

Mr Green
Administrator

Not tried yet but if you enable [core] then maybe you can install 'linux' kernel, it might want to install systemd....

Comments, suggestions, donations please feel free to contact me mrgreen(at)archbang(dot)org Artix information https://artixlinux.org/migrate.php

#5 2017-09-03 04:01:55

alcibiades

I am having exact same problem.  No system upgrade is possible on one machine.  Another, installed from the same iso, works fine which I don't understand at all.  On the new one, you elect to delete eudev-systemd it refuses on account of the dependencies.  If you do not it drops out of the process.

Is the conclusion that its impossible to install a functioning archbang from the iso?  i have looked at the instructions for artix, and converting is beyond my capabilities.  But I can't believe that the isos really are released in a form which leads to an unusable installation.  There must be some workaround, surely?

UPDATE

Reinstalled from scratch, this time uefi.  Same thing.  No matter which route you choose, deleting or not deleting either eudev-systemd or sytemd or neither, you end up with inability to upgrade because of dependencies.  I will try one more thing, updating the USB iso.  If that does not work, it must be that the installation iso is broken.  Will update.

UPDATE

Same thing booting from the USB.  Also cannot manually remove eudev because of all the dependencies.  Also cannot remove networkmanager-consolekit, same reason.  Also cannot remove networkmanager because it cannot find it.  Cannot remove systemd because it cannot find it.

I think something must be broken with the iso.

Would be grateful for any suggestions as I have reached the end of my ideas and if I can't get some way to get to a usable, upgradeable, installation, I am going to have to give up on archbang.

UPDATE

Wondering why on earth I keep trying this, I got the artix version and had another go.  It went in OK, including grub, and the udev issue seems to have gone now, but on the second boot something appears amiss with grub, throws back to the shell, and its impossible to boot.  Or if its possible I cannot figure out how.

I have installed many distros over many years.  One or two hardware incompatibilities, but never, ever, this thicket of impossibilities on the way in and after the install.

Last edited by alcibiades (2017-09-05 02:01:24)

Board footer