You are not logged in.

#1 2017-08-17 03:47:45

Xaver

archbang-artix-rc-140817 – no entry for settings in the pipemenu

There is not entry for settings within arch-applications.menu
So the menu for settings must be created manually.

For comparison I have duplicated the archbang pipemenu and then replaced arch-applications.menu by lxde-applications.menu
Now there is an automated entry for settings.
Could this be the better choice?

#2 2017-08-17 11:43:26

Mr Green
Administrator

Re: archbang-artix-rc-140817 – no entry for settings in the pipemenu

Dropped archlinux-xdg-menu some time ago (forget why now), installed you are free to grab one of the many menu maker applications.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Openbox#Menus

Comments, suggestions please feel free to contact me mrgreen(at)archbang(dot)org

#3 2017-08-17 23:49:42

Xaver

You have included archlinux-xdg-menu and lxmenu-data as well:

[ablive@archbang ~]$ ls /etc/xdg/menus/
arch-applications.menu  lxde-applications.menu

Your pipemenu is defined in /home/ablive/.config/openbox/menu.xml bzy a long command line.
<menu id="applications" label="Applications" execute="xdg_menu --format openbox3-pipe --root-menu /etc/xdg/menus/arch-applications.menu" />
You could use lxde-applications.menu instead of arch-applications.menu and then get the same menus plus an extra menu with all the settings. I think this is an improvement.

#4 2017-08-19 02:57:06

Mr Green
Administrator

Have tested 'lxde' and yes you do get a settings menu, however most of the items in that menu cannot be opened. Switched back to 'arch' think its something a user can decide to change post install.

Comments, suggestions please feel free to contact me mrgreen(at)archbang(dot)org

#5 2017-08-20 15:28:34

Xaver

Strange that you get dead end menus with lxde-applications.menu. In my archbang installation all the items of the automated settings menu do work except 'desktop preferences'. That menu is '$ pcmanfm --desktop-pref' and cannot work, because PCManFM is not set to manage desktop and background.

By the way – I have discovered, what in compton causes openbox to hang at startup: the option -b (Daemonize process. Fork to background after initialization). When I erase '-b' openbox starts normally and transparency effects with plank work too.

Board footer