You are not logged in.

#1 2017-07-26 13:51:08

Xaver

How to install archbang-rc-280617 in VirtualBox

Booting the Archbang-iso in VirtualBox works fine. But all my efforts to install archbang-rc-280617 in VirtualBox failed. I faced 2 problems:
1. There seems to be a bug in the automatic grub installation. Installed archbang did not boot at all. Rescatux could not fix or reinstall grub. Finally I succeeded to repair grub with grubdoctor from a 4 years old PartedMagic iso. Obviously in my case automatic grub install did not work but it can be fixed. Should I try a manual grub install with certain settings?
2. When I finally got grub to work the boot process was interrupted because of a server error.
Does anybody have an idea how to fix this. Archbang looks very promissing to me and I appreciate, that it does avoid systemd.  I plan to switch from Lubuntu to Arch, but before I install it I would like to test and learn the system in Virtual Box.

#2 2017-07-27 02:50:24

Xaver

Re: How to install archbang-rc-280617 in VirtualBox

Now I have a clearer view of the problem:

1) grub - Manual grub install does work without problems. Just do 'grub-install --target=i386-pc /dev/sda' and archbang can boot. I thought automatic grub install would do the same, but it does not.

2) My Archbang actually boots in VirtualBox. The error message says, that xorg-server cannot run in framebuffer mode. I can login as root with no grafics. If I run 'pacman -R xf86-video-fbdev' xorg starts by itself. But then it acts strange and I have no control on login and userrights. The machine seems to run as root without any login requests.

What should I try next?

#3 2017-07-27 04:36:52

seventh

The auto grub install feature does work but i found i needed to make the partition bootable via fdisk or gparted after the install was completed. Im using bios / mbr - non uefi, so i just have a root, home and swap partitions.

Boot into live iso, check gparted for your boot partition and see if the flag is set to boot for that partition.

Try a new install in Virtualbox and see if this helps.

In regards to the login issue, i think that is due to the auto login script mr green has implented for archbang, you can change this by using a login manager like lxdm or simply modify the xinitrc and use startx. I wouldnt log in as root and i would not start the session as root either using startx, always use your user account.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Xinit

Last edited by seventh (2017-07-27 04:46:52)

#4 2017-07-27 16:55:39

Xaver

@ Seventh – Thank you for your instant reply.
Maybe auto grub is only working on real HDs. On my vBox-HDs it did not. Strange, that you had to make the HD bootable afterwards. Did it erase the boot flag?

i have succeeded now to boot Archbang in VirtualBox and start xorg. Some VirtualBox guest additions were needed. But I have got a totally open system with no password request at all – neither for login nor for sudo actions. So I should study, how Xinit is working. Thanks for this hint.

#5 2017-07-29 03:29:48

Xaver

Sorry folks, but I give up on archbang. It is too frustrating.
There are no instructions on the archbang page and the archbang wiki is totally empty.
If you want to try archbang in VirtualBox do this:

1. Create your virtual box and virtual HD (sda) for archbang
2. Boot the live-cd/iso in VirtualBox
3. Select a mirror in etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist (selection will survive installation)
4. test the mirror – # sudo pacman -Syy
5. Open Terminal, type 'sudo gparted'
    – format your VirtualBox-HD and set the boot flag
6. Open the installer and perform steps 1-7
7. At step 7 manual grub install: # grub-install --target=i386-pc /dev/sda
    – type 'exit', when this is finished, then close the installer window
8. Open the installer again and perform steps 8 and 9
9. Then type 'd', then 'n'
10. Shut down archbang, remove the CD/iso and boot again
11. login as user does not work – so log in as root (to command-line interface)
12. # pacman -Syy
13. # pacman -S virtualbox-guest-utils-openrc
      choose 2) virtualbox-guest-modules-arch
      (you would need choice 1, if you plan to install the lts-kernels or others)
14. # halt -p  or  # reboot

Now the system does boot in grafic mode.

BUT the result is very weird. There is no login request. The system logs in to the user account automatically.
It still knows username and password, but it is absolutely not interessted in them.
In the teminal you can do sudo actions without any password. That is ok for testing but scary for anything else.

I have failed to fix this. Now I am too suspicious of archbang to do a regular install.
Too bad – I am looking for such a slim and functional system and liked archbang very much, when I was checking the live-iso.

#6 2017-07-29 06:06:54

seventh

Dont give up Xaver, it is worthwhile you investigating all this and making it right, it is a great learning curve, especially when only using virtualbox.

I have re visited a virtualbox install and i have been able to successfully use the auto grub install and boot to desktop as a user albeit autologin which can be fixed.

My main OS i use everyday is bunsenlabs, im always distro hopping though.

Last edited by seventh (2017-07-29 06:15:19)

#7 2017-07-29 07:44:36

seventh

#8 2017-07-29 09:17:31

Xaver

@ Seventh
Thanks, but xorg is not the problem. As I have written archbang does autologin to grafic mode, unfortunately with unrestricted rights.
I have tried all the stuff, that would work with Debian or Ubuntu. This stupid login-script seems to block or overwrite erverything.

I did not even find this script. I guess it the problem is a polkit issue or something, that is special for openRC.
Certainly it can be fixed, but I don't have the knowledge or patience.
It is summer now. This is something for long winter nights.
But then, if it stays so complicated, I might as well try a standard arch-openrc install.

I have looked a bunsenlabs. It looks like archbang on Debian – unfortunately with systemd.
If my arch efforts fail, my plan B is quite similar: install Openbox in Antix Linux (uses SysV instead of systemd)

If i had no objections to systemd I could use Antergos, which has an Openbox version.
Antergos is easy to install and if you exchange pamac with tkpacman and kalu, it seems to be quite stable too.
If it keeps raining, I may try to exchange systemd with openRC in Antergos. There is an instruction on this subject at systed-free.org.

#9 2017-08-04 03:09:25

Xaver

There is a post of Mr. Green which solves the problem of how to get a login request:
http://bbs.archbang.org/viewtopic.php?id=5867

Now you can can login via lxdm and are asked for your password.
But then you again have root privileges as a normal user.
You still get an unsecure system.

#10 2017-08-07 00:07:04

Xaver

Unlimited user privileges seem to be an old archbang issue:
http://bbs.archbang.org/viewtopic.php?id=1167  (September 2011)
Though it is marked as solved I do not see how to apply that solution in this case.

#11 2017-08-07 11:29:08

Mr Green
Administrator

AB has had sudo rights for user for quite some time, though it is common practice with most distros it maybe a concern for a multiuser system. In that regard I would check arch wiki on sudo and maybe re-enable password for sudo.

Comments, suggestions, donations please feel free to contact me mrgreen(at)archbang(dot)org Artix information https://artix-linux.github.io/migrate/

#12 2017-08-07 13:10:25

Xaver

@ Mr. Green
Thank you for your reply. Now I am really confused. I have always thought, that sudo rights without password make an unsecure system. Now you tell me that using a password does make no difference.
Unfortunately I have no idea how to enable a sudo password in archbang. I assumed that I have enabled it, when I defined my user password during the installation.

#13 2017-08-07 13:41:05

Mr Green
Administrator

As I said Arch wiki is really the place to learn about sudo

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Su … le_entries

## Uncomment to allow members of group wheel to execute any command 
# This is for anyone in 'wheel' group password is required
# %wheel ALL=(ALL) ALL

## Same thing but you do not need a password, set as default in ArchBang
%wheel ALL=(ALL) NOPASSWD: ALL

Comments, suggestions, donations please feel free to contact me mrgreen(at)archbang(dot)org Artix information https://artix-linux.github.io/migrate/

#14 2017-08-07 14:37:27

Xaver

@ Mr. Green
Thanks again! Now I have got the desired password request for sudo.
For someone like me, who has not used Arch before, the Arch Wiki is very confusing and frustrating. Even now, as I know how to use visudo, I still would not understand, what they are writing about. Fortunately the German Arch Wiki explains it very clearly.
So I am happy with the result now.

Board footer