You are not logged in.

#1 2017-07-27 03:38:47

heavygear

Short Lockup after Openbox Loads

Greetings,

I've very recently installed Archbang and I am trying to troubleshoot what appears to be a short 5-10 second system lockup that occurs shortly after the Openbox session begins. I've attempted to track down the various autostart locations in order to narrow down the offender, and I have come up short. I'll detail my observations and steps taken, and I hope you can guide me further:

Chiefly, I've observed what seems to be a system lockup shortly after openbox loads. On tests, my panel (tint2) and wallpaper (set by feh) would load, as well as nm-applet and volume control before the lockup occured. The clock in tint2, with seconds included in the reported format, would not update until the lockup resolved itself several seconds later. I have since uninstalled conky, so I can only dismiss its influence.

The lockup is simple; my mouse cursor does not move, nor does it appear that running items update. Openbox does not open the rootmenu when the mouse or keyboard hotkeys are pressed, nor do applications that are run during autostart (like top/htop in a lxterminal window) appear to update. I have not yet tried to run a 'heartbeat' like script to echo frequent minders to a file, but that is a next step. I also have not yet tried a REISUB/I cycle, but I doubt that would be informative.

Curiously, there is a period of normal functioning before the lockup, which allows a few of the quicker autostart items to resolve (such as tint2). The openbox rootmenu can even be opened at this time.

I've emptied the /etc/xdm/autostart folder of all files. Likewise, I've opted to comment out all of the options in my ~/.config/open box/autostart file. The issue persists.

As to the install itself, I installed using archbang-rc-280617.iso (released July 28, 2017), which I ran from a USB key. System was upgraded after installation.

The host machine is an older, but still functioning Inspiron laptop with 2GB of RAM and a modest 2GHz core 2 duo. The only storage drive is a Samsung Evo 840 (128 Gb) SSD, which is partitioned with a single ext4 partition. I elected to use a swap file.

I installed archbang using the install script provided in the live distro. I've installed Pamac and lxsession, the former I include in my user-specific openbox autostart file.

---

With all that In mind, I imagine it would be helpful to be able to assemble logs of runtimes for processes that run parallel to, and spawned from openbox. Unfortunately, I'm not certain of how to do that, or even if it is possible.

Likewise, it would be handy to have a list of all the automatic startup items and their locations. I understand that Archbang now relies on OpenRC as it's in it manager. This will be an item that I will research over the next little while.

Noting that arch now canonically uses systemd for many items, and that archbang is designed with a nosystemd slant, much of the normally comprehensive arch-wiki documentation does not seem to apply to this scenario. I am tempted to install some systemd components in order to use the included analysis features, but I an apprehensive about replacing the currently working system with something completely different.

---

I'll be tucking in for the next few hours, but I'm willing to provide more information later should you need it.

#2 2017-07-27 05:00:15

seventh

Re: Short Lockup after Openbox Loads

Just a guess here but maybe lxsession you installed has something to do with this, possibly clashing with openbox rc.xml .

#3 2017-07-27 10:57:07

heavygear

seventh wrote:

lxsession

A worthwhile angle, but it does not appear to be the problem. I've both removed lxsession from any autostart locations and uninstalled it to no noticeable effect, at least as far as the lockups are concerned.

---

That said, I do have some metrics to present. I've managed to asses that the lockups are consistently around 12 seconds long, and they appear to be particularly sensitive to matters relating to the display -- either Xorg, or perhaps something locking the frame buffer.

I added a 'heartbeat' script to my ~/.config/openbox/autostart file that opens a lxterminal (for live viewing) and repeatedly reports the date (and time), waiting a half-second each time, until user input cancels the process. The date is also logged to a output file.

First test using this script brought up lxterminal and displayed one or two lines without skipping a beat, then a long pause, then a sudden fill in of lines and continuing on as usual. These lines were all a half-second apart, and this was matched with reports from the output log.

I next added a scrot call to the script. Like before, the script ran one or two lines successfully without pausing, then the system locked up. After the resumption, the script continued, but did not fill in several lines. Instead, it reported a delayed line -- 12 seconds late. The screenshot linked below demonstrates this.

For further inspection, I also added a ps -A call to the script to report running processes to the output file. There isn't much that's obviously different between the different runs, other than the 12 second delay.

Consider:
scrot result from heartbeat script: http://i.imgur.com/hK9Cyy7.png
output log from heartbeat script: https://pastebin.com/1Z2E5Hap
heartbeat script: https://pastebin.com/vU47Snh9
~/.config/openbox/autostart: https://pastebin.com/J8Tda1rj

Pay particular attention to the last two lines/blocks:
Thu 27 Jul 2017 12:04:01 PM EDT - 868116603
Thu 27 Jul 2017 12:04:13 PM EDT - 047095229

My likely next step will be to pick through video drivers and Xorg config files.

#4 2017-07-28 03:07:45

seventh

edited....

Last edited by seventh (2017-07-28 03:09:08)

#5 2017-07-29 22:43:00

heavygear

I should follow up: I've trimmed unnecessary video drivers and picked through the Xorg log files. Unfortunately, I couldn't find anything indicative.

Understanding that this is a bit of a hard-to-troubleshoot problem, and one that is largely cosmetic, I think I will head into a holding pattern and hope that the issue is resolved in the future from a patch or new archbang release. I might stumble on a solution, and I'll be sure to post any findings here.

I will note that this is a bit odd. I had installed archbang about two years before and had experienced nothing but sleek performance, but I botched a system upgrade and elected to start over from scratch.

Thanks anyways.

Board footer