You are not logged in.

#1 2017-04-23 04:15:53

Mr Green
Administrator

ArchBang OpenRC Rc iso

https://sourceforge.net/projects/archba … ng-OpenRC/

sha256sum archbang-artix-rc-190817.iso 
97d66f318029021298cb17728ac47adf8aa6c0dfc17597d578e155818bfd716b  archbang-artix-rc-190817.iso

Fixed locales issue, midori browser, conky now working.....

Last edited by Mr Green (2017-05-20 23:54:04)

Comments, suggestions please feel free to contact me mrgreen(at)archbang(dot)org

#2 2017-04-24 06:24:13

seventh

Re: ArchBang OpenRC Rc iso

ok i tried to install to bare metal for this release but in error.

I am multi booting, so i have not used live boot options and installed archbang to sda4 without bootloader in the hope of picking it up from os-prober on sda1 with update grub(mkconfig etc).

Error screen says the following.

ERROR: device 'UUID=xxxxx' not found. Skipping fsck.
ERROR: Unable to find root device 'UUID xxxxxx'.
You are being dropped to a recovery shell

Last edited by seventh (2017-04-24 06:35:53)

#3 2017-04-24 07:14:05

seventh

Definetly some error going on, ive had the same error twice with the same UUID, both attempts had new partitions created with gparted.

The UUID i am getting from install does not correspond to the partition created. Possibly an fstab error i dont know, i will try this on VB and see.

#4 2017-04-24 08:49:57

seventh

VB failed with xorg, will play around with this tomorrow. So far cant start any session from basic installl on bare metal or VB, im pretty sure i am following needed commands.

#5 2017-04-24 12:07:38

Mr Green
Administrator

Try latest beta installer is close to working, think timezone was the only issue (something I am working on). Also with a VM you will need to load virtualbox-guest-utils-openrc for x to work.

Please bear in mind that Openrc version is very much beta wink

Comments, suggestions please feel free to contact me mrgreen(at)archbang(dot)org

#6 2017-04-25 06:50:55

seventh

Got it to work in VB, think i will leave bare metal alone for now, something i did messed up the uuid's, cant figure that out, /etc/fstab had the correct uuid for the partition but upon boot was complaining of an unrecognised uuid and the unrecognised uuid was not in fstab, anyhow will tinker around in VB for now. Thanks Mr Green.

#7 2017-04-25 12:30:13

Mr Green
Administrator

Update removed hardware clock from installer, you only really have two options UTC or local [Default is UTC]. To change to local you simply edit /etc/conf.d/hwclock

clock="UTC" # simply change to local

Service 'hwclock' added ...

Timezone should now be fixed (have to test)

Do have an issue with syslinux but I know Grub is working fine, looking to get uefi working in the near future.

#8 2017-05-09 13:31:26

Mr Green
Administrator

See first post have uploaded a new rc version, now includes firefox and tint2 launchers. Next couple of weeks will start on Summer release, OpenRC only!

#9 2017-05-10 12:48:13

pablokal
Administrator
Website

I'm curious about how this will work out on downloads.
I think it is a brave step to take and lets see where it leads us.
The only necessary thing is to communicate it very clearly to (new) users AB  will be openrc only.

Getting your questions answered here at ArchBang Forums
Please! Always give hardware info, if there is a chance that 's relevant: #lspci -vnn
On Arch(bang) and Openbox: http://stillstup.blogspot.com/

#10 2017-05-10 14:48:14

Mr Green
Administrator

For summer release I will of course make sure that users are aware of us going systemd free. Certainly on source forge here on forums. To be honest there has not been interest on forums lately. Think they have all gone over to ubuntu know that it uses gnome instead on unity. Read that Apricity has stopped being developed that just leaves the likes of manjaro...

Our battle may soon be over.

#11 2017-06-27 04:37:52

Dan
Website

Are you switching OpenRC because of a lack of demand for the regular version Of AB? Just curious as to why?

#12 2017-06-27 05:14:00

Mr Green
Administrator

It was more to reduce workload and to go systemd free. You can simply load up systemd again if you want a more pure arch experience. I do keep an eye on downloads and they have been quite high recently. In the real world I have less time to work on AB.... will update ISO soon

#13 2017-06-28 08:20:18

Mr Green
Administrator

Everything up! updated packages, updated iso, updated wallpaper.. wink

#14 2017-06-28 16:56:53

ArchVortex
Retired

Just installed today's upload. Glorious as ever, Mr G. The new wallpaper is a view from your neck of the woods? Time to tweak and have some tea and biscuits. Great job!!

You have the capacity to learn from mistakes. You'll learn a lot today.
FP:E5F8 7DBA 8128 9ACB 75F7 7279 BE34 AB66 76D9 16DE
KEY ID:76D916DE
Currently running ArchBang / LFS / OpenSUSE Tumbleweed

#15 2017-06-29 04:51:34

Mr Green
Administrator

Hi wink,

Am using my own photos to get around any possible copyright issues.... Most things should work out of the box, but just watch those bigger desktops (that you like!).

Welcome back

#16 2017-07-12 04:03:51

pablokal
Administrator
Website

1080 Downloads last week, seems a bit less than  usual. We are most popular in Brazil!! We must be swinging...

Getting your questions answered here at ArchBang Forums
Please! Always give hardware info, if there is a chance that 's relevant: #lspci -vnn
On Arch(bang) and Openbox: http://stillstup.blogspot.com/

#17 2017-07-12 11:04:04

Mr Green
Administrator

Could be OpenRC, users might be looking for pure Arch. There are a lot of arch based distros now to chose from. ArchBang started many of them off. People have built on the formula and added extra applications and gui this and that. Looked at ArchBox, Arch + openbox ..... 2.6Gigs!!!!

We have lost 32bit version and systemd maybe it is just too far for some.

#18 2017-07-17 13:03:24

tilt

Just to be sure, the 'rc' stands for release candidate, can you confirm?

archbang-rc-280617.iso

This is an archbang openrc Release Candidate, isn't it?

Tilt

#19 2017-07-19 13:50:00

agush22

Mr Green wrote:

Could be OpenRC, users might be looking for pure Arch. There are a lot of arch based distros now to chose from. ArchBang started many of them off. People have built on the formula and added extra applications and gui this and that. Looked at ArchBox, Arch + openbox ..... 2.6Gigs!!!!

We have lost 32bit version and systemd maybe it is just too far for some.

Losing systemd is too far from me, came back to ArchBang after not using it for quite a while (for work related reasons I was using OSX) and I recently reinstalled thinking RC stood for realease candidate
I found that sound on my laptop wasn't working, and after digging around realized that documentation and support for openRC is not that good.

I understand that not a lot of people like systemd, but for me it's a deal breaker to go away from the agreed upon standard Arch is going.

For me Arch Bang was a "just works" Arch + openbox nimble install, that had the benefit of saving yourself the whole Arch configuration process, but if I install ArchBang and have to still configure a bunch of things to follow the current standard, there isn't any time saving or real benefit for me.

Anyways probably some people that don't like systemd will find ArchBang useful as a Arch+Openbox+systemdfree install, so thanks for your hard work Mr Green.

Is there a someone that can point me to the last systemd ISO? I can't find it

#20 2017-07-19 14:21:12

Mr Green
Administrator

You could simply install ArchBang and convert back to systemd for the full archlinux experience. It is not that difficult to do, provided you are prepared to go into a terminal. There are plenty of full fat systemd arch based isos out there, should you decide otherwise wink

#21 2017-07-20 04:57:47

conky

Hi there. just downloaded the archbang. openrc thing. I am an arch user but it's just too silly with most of the kids who 'run' arch tbh. Anyway, have used archbang for years but when you got a bit slowed down when systemd cam about, then those lolz peeps 'manjaro' which trying once and was so poor it was useless, tried to combine with you and ran you over, despite you having a clue and they not, was about the time I just did mainly my own customisations and kinda forgot about archbang. With that said, I am doing some lfs and I also rewrote pacman a bit to my own needs.. most of the time when you were having issues with stuff, I felt I could have helped you somewhat easily but ok.. I kinda don't wanna get mixed up with dong stuff or not and so on.
So.. it had some issues, the installer yes, but as an arch user it obviously only took a moment to fix. The X server does indeed seem to still crash in vbox, can see if I can figure it out as I don't know openRC yet [I intend(ed) to try various inits before choosing one].
But, your installer atm seems to failt to install the kernel in /boot, which would explain why he coul;dn't boot possibly .. I had to do some more installation stuff (just rebooted the live and chrooted): namely, pacman-key {--init,--populate archlinux, -r, --lsign) etc.. it then downloaded an update to linux (after uncommenting some archmirror) and voila, I could then mkinitcpio -p linux + grub-mkconfig -o /boot..... you know the story.
I think that was mainly it to get it going, now the X says in vbox, can't run or start form fraembuffer i think,, might just be some vbox drivers missing. I kinda have to say, at the time, when you kept true to the old installer of arch, and they moved on to the current , few one liners in term; their method is hands down superior. But ok, I understand you wish to have a certain interactive installer for the novices to linux/arch/bang. Anyway, will try to fix the X and let me know if you need some patches for issues.
And I have always loved your work as has so many, I can't actually believe, I forgot about archbang this long yikes

^- posted in wrong topic, one from 2013 tongue Anyway.. ye.. so I hadn't used vbox for a while, updated it, and installed linux-headers virtualbox-guest-dkms [dkms]

add modules="vboxguest vboxvideo vboxsf" and one should be good to go.

edit: I do type too fast for my keyboard sometimes, but the bus it's on is also a bit sketchy, and has some signalling issues, making it even worse.

Last edited by conky (2017-07-20 05:44:44)

#22 2017-07-20 05:42:33

conky

It is very nice as a base live iso. How does openrc come across to you (plural: mr. Green/ others) ? smile

#23 2017-07-22 01:52:39

Mr Green
Administrator

Openrc is light, fast and easy to use. Issue with virtualbox is more likely intel/vesa driver, had to remove one or other to get it working.

Not sure about /boot problem, normally only test with one partition.

#24 2017-07-23 11:15:54

conky

no worries. I sorted it out. It seemed as the arch_chroot should be arch-chroot possibly in the abinstall.. but either way. rsynced manually , and did the usual manu installation a la arch. Since 2010, I have basically configured my boxes based on your AB spins and scripts smile I now boot it from an image file so vbox was just a quick test. (I usually install most of my Gnu/linux distros in image files and just boot any of them from a partition).

ya.. I forked pacman a while ago and improved some stuff, and am testing a lfs build with it, and epoch/runit atm, since I could not find the sources for the *-openrc packages we install from the openrc repository. Then I can make a judgement call on what to use of the 3 in the end, (if not something else). smile

Last edited by conky (2017-07-23 11:16:13)

Board footer