You are not logged in.

#1 2017-05-18 16:24:46

equi

Former diehard CrunchBang enthusiast giving the Arch world a whirl!

I haven't used Linux since my last laptop kicked the bucket back at the beginning of 2014 (?!), and recently have wanted to make a forray back into things.

I scored a free laptop (old Acer Aspire with a 1.83 GHz Core 2 Duo, 100 GB HDD, 512 MB of RAM, and a super sweet DVD-ROM drive!) recently that has a super old installation of WinXP which is running painfully slowly.  Laptop was slated to be donated to a thrift shop, and I managed to swoop in and scoop it before it was sent off!  I was going to install CrunchBang Waldorf using an old USB stick and when it got to the log in screen I was greeted by the ArchBang live USB that I'd made about five years ago!  I'm thanking past me for the fun gift smile

There's definitely a bit of a learning curve, but it's been interesting so far... now if only I could get pacman to work so I could install irssi and mocp I'd be doing much better, hah!  For some reason "pacman -S irssi" and "pacman -S mocp" won't work, it says "error: target not found: irssi" or the same only for mocp.

#2 2017-05-19 04:21:49

seventh

Re: Former diehard CrunchBang enthusiast giving the Arch world a whirl!

Hey equi, welcome.

Are you using a new current iso or the 5 year old one on the stick?

I recently scored an all in one toshiba computer from my work but alas it is officially dead with no diagnosis. They were throwing it out so thought i would see if i could nix it. Has a really bad tick and wont even boot to bios so i took the 1 TB hdd and 8 gigs of ram out and sent it to the recycler.

#3 2017-05-20 01:11:34

Mr Green
Administrator

@equi its more than likely system is very out of date...

Maybe try

sudo pacman -Syyu

irssi is available, could not find mocp

Comments, suggestions please feel free to contact me mrgreen(at)archbang(dot)org

#4 2017-05-23 12:39:23

equi

Used "sudo pacman -Syyu" and got an error about core.db not being found; I suspect I'll just have to do a fresh install with the latest image, no biggie there!

Bummer about mocp, I'll hafta do some googling on how to set it up such that I can get it. Basically I'm using the test box before doing a partition on my Lenovo X250 because I miss running it basically full time.

Board footer