You are not logged in.

#1 2017-05-19 13:22:59

Calypto

Hey

I'm actually not new to ^! as I've used it briefly in 2012 as a hackjob server, but one thing stuck with me very well: it was damned fast considering how easy it was to install. Fast forward to 2017, I'm coming from the opposite end of the speed spectrum from Windows. I'm finally fed up with MS' bullshit and want something that doesn't use over 800MB RAM idling. It appears that even today's contemporary distributions use a ridiculous amount of memory, but ^! doesn't fail to deliver regarding speed given all these years.

Another thing I like about ^! is that it uses OpenRC and not its malicious Red Hat-sponsored cousin.

I don't actually have ^! installed yet due to driver issues, but I hope this can be resolved very soon as I'm eager to use it once again.

This is where my avatar comes from http://i.imgur.com/k9BoyZF.jpg (Someone redrew the picture from memory asking if they have the original).

Last edited by Calypto (2017-05-19 13:34:18)

#2 2017-05-20 04:53:05

seventh

Re: Hey

Gday mate. Lol at the apple fanboy, even dressed like the late Steve Jobs.

My mum was thinking about getting an apple laptop,  the prices made her change her mind. In Australia you would be lucky to get a new one for under $1500 new in box. That is my experience in checking out prices though, they maybe cheaper im not not sure.

#3 2017-05-20 11:17:19

Calypto

Re: Hey

Even the used Macs are very expensive because of "resale value." The Chromebook Pixel seems like a better option, it's cheap and can run your choice of GNU/Linux.

Board footer