You are not logged in.

#1 2017-02-05 11:04:43

Mr Green
Administrator

Do not enter Top Secret iso based on Alpine

I have uploaded my first Alpine Linux based iso for testing, it is very rough so do not expect too much. Would be interested in feedback based on if you think a ArchBang style iso based on Alpine Linux would be of any interest.

Key points:

Jwm window manager
Lxdm
xterm
lxterminal
Openrc init...

You will find i686 iso on our sourceforge page.

Am hoping the lovely and very wonderful Chris Cromer could give me some pointers on Openrc (autologin for one)

Comments, suggestions please feel free to contact me mrgreen(at)archbang(dot)org

#2 2017-02-07 02:57:31

neocat

Re: Do not enter Top Secret iso based on Alpine

Alpine? How interesting! I did wonder what is this Top Secret project you're working on. Any *bang without systemd is a worthy endeavour I think.

Tested in Virtualbox 5.1.14. No kidding this is still very rough. Anyway thanks for starting this Mr Green. Alpine, like Arch, is not for the casual user like myself.

#3 2017-02-07 03:04:20

seventh

ive installed a simple alpine on a vbox, not your average linux install by a long shot, they have created there own original methods with which to install the system which is pretty cool.

#4 2017-02-07 14:37:44

Mr Green
Administrator

I am finding getting a live Alpine system up and running very difficult, do not fully understand its workings (which does not help). What is interesting is the 'live' part is simply a layer.

Something like this

Base system ... which is started by initfs
Apks are then loaded from a directory
Overlay --- system files [/etc & /home]

Problem I have is although apks are 'there' they are not loaded on boot (still have no idea why). All I do know it has something to do with /etc/apk/world...

I get get system to boot, manually start X (lxdm fails) but I cannot get my jwm config to load.

Alpine is amazing just for how small and fast it is, but I do find it frustrating in setting up.

Maybe it is more suited to servers, docker and simple ssh machines...

Comments, suggestions please feel free to contact me mrgreen(at)archbang(dot)org

#5 2017-02-07 14:39:02

Chris Cromer

Mr Green wrote:

I have uploaded my first Alpine Linux based iso for testing, it is very rough so do not expect too much. Would be interested in feedback based on if you think a ArchBang style iso based on Alpine Linux would be of any interest.

Key points:

Jwm window manager
Lxdm
xterm
lxterminal
Openrc init...

You will find i686 iso on our sourceforge page.

Am hoping the lovely and very wonderful Chris Cromer could give me some pointers on Openrc (autologin for one)

It actually isn't handled by openrc at all. Auto login is acheived in SysVinit using the following in /etc/inittab

c1:12345:respawn:/sbin/agetty -a username --noclear 38400 tty1 linux

Just replace the username with the user you want logged into the tty, and change /sbin/agetty to the location of the tty program on the system.

#6 2017-02-08 01:18:00

Mr Green
Administrator

Thing is Alpine does not use agetty, busybox has getty. Found an article that allows getty to run a script that might work. If I build Alpine-desktop ISO lxdm works (although is slow). Slim could be another option but according to arch wiki project is dead.

#7 2017-02-08 12:45:21

pablokal
Administrator
Website

Can't you use someting like https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Xinit see section Autostart X at login

Getting your questions answered here at ArchBang Forums
Please! Always give hardware info, if there is a chance that 's relevant: #lspci -vnn
On Arch(bang) and Openbox: http://stillstup.blogspot.com/

#8 2017-02-09 00:21:59

Mr Green
Administrator

Have got auto login working now just need to start X. Need to get undeveloped and dubs working too. Noticed that I am still running mdev.

Still got some work to do to get anything near what ArchBang does out of the box....

#9 2017-02-28 07:20:44

mips

Mr Green wrote:

Slim could be another option but according to arch wiki project is dead.

I speak under correction but slim should be ok as long as you're not using systemd.

I like slim, the other alternative is not to have a dm at all which is also cool.

I played around with alpine the other night and liked what I saw, has a definite learning curve though, got a 'crippled' xfce system up and running but did not have the time to delve deeper.

Looking forward to your iso wink

#10 2017-02-28 13:38:39

Mr Green
Administrator

Quite a bit of work to do before I can get something out that has all the required components. Currently I have Openbox and a background. Still need to work on wifi or getting network manager.

Am hoping to get a new version of ArchBang OpenRC out at some point.

Board footer