You are not logged in.

#1 2016-09-15 03:35:24

oskari.rauta

Re-mastered version of ArchBang openRC

Hi.

I re-mastered recent version of ArchBang Linux with OpenRC for a little bit different. Files are available at sourceforge.net host.
https://sites.google.com/site/customarchbang/

It is a customized version with many changes, add-ons and tweaks, mostly designed for laptop users who want a modern browser with wide support for web, that's why I chose chromium instead of FireFox, and some utility changes are included as well and also a ton of other tweaks.
Unfortunately I designed this also for a out-of-the-box experience, so as default, timezone is set to Finland and keyboard layout is also as default for Finland, but nothing you couldn't handle, right? Also some instructions to change layout are included on the link I provided.
Also it is important that browser is quickly available, so I gave some effort for fast booting, and pre-loading of chromium.
Graphical boot is there because, this is not designed for expert use only, and it's.. Well, more comfortable for some people when boot happens by spinning a circle.. So that's there then..

Packages which I used from AUR are included as pre-compiled in /root/pkg and as I made some changes to existing packages, I published the all the sources to AUR and git services ( I made a fork of tint2, added gradient background support and separator support and made changes to NetworkManager to force it to behave as default in the intended way ).

Feedback is always welcome.

shot.png?attachauth=ANoY7crzoAbTruIer6hA4tI7I5V1kUBTHLXcPk79O-lYrVNZqjYjngYnU7emeiocNjmDq9yQLse6m2ITtWP0s0rDk_WEQ6k-3SiaFP--s4dfwMcI1sH1cerPkKwRQJevCJX68fpZEyvd3jsR-mMA0gbVyxw2kqZL6tblpIog9D2ZJMGWbe3_kjElmpKZQiTZKjYUjawaBsn9EKN4BJU4J43c3JtH-GZ71A%3D%3D&attredirects=0

Some changes I made:
- Bootsplash (Plymouth)
- Chromium ( instead of Firefox )
- Flash support for browser
- PCManFM file manager instead of SpaceFM
- L3afpad instead of Geany
- Include Guake terminal for fast console access from Desktop
- Login manager with auto login support on boot ( Slim )
- Audio support ( Alsa + PulseAudio + Graphical Mixer )
- Customized version of NetworkManager applet ( Passwords are saved as default and access to AP is available as default for every user of the computer: auto-connect without modifying connection settings )
- Strongswan for VPN connections.
- Modified Strongswan support for NetWorkManager. Also, save password as default.
- Modified/custom icon theme. ( I just combined icons from various icon themes and then some extra from deviantArt)
- Nice/custom background graphic for OpenBox - found it from deviantArt as well.
- Laptop battery support ( cbatticon with custom icons from the set mentioned few lines ago )
- oblogout to provide nice session control.
- Bluetooth support available as default.
- New user skeleton in case that one wants to use multiple users.
- Various console tools ( mostly ones needed for re-mastering purposes )
- All installed our packages in /root/pkg
- Added support for Slim into xdm init script
- Custom version of Tint2 ( I created a patch which adds support for gradient backgrounds, as well as support for separators, it's pending to get my commit to mainstream as well )
- Custom Chrome extension installed as default to allow pre-loading of chromium in the background, allowing faster start up of chromium. I also made this extension.
- Sticked with OpenRC
- Customized /etc/pacman.conf
- Install as default does not need set of root or user password, or renaming of user.
- Install now supports only SysLinux.
- Install script is customized. Now installation prefers that you have 2 partitions: /boot (preferably formatted to ext3 filesystem) and / (root, I prefer ext4 filesystem), because SysLinux does not support 64 bit ext4 properly. Boot needs less than 64 megabytes, but 128mb would be a safe bet if you do modifications.
- Updated packages and kernel to versions available at 15.9.2015

Last edited by oskari.rauta (2016-09-15 05:26:39)

#2 2016-09-15 05:27:35

oskari.rauta

Re: Re-mastered version of ArchBang openRC

Tip: Right-clicking the chromium icon opens a menu where one can choose incognito mode.

#3 2016-09-15 06:17:17

oliver
Administrator

oskari.rauta wrote:

Tip: Right-clicking the chromium icon opens a menu where one can choose incognito mode.

IIRC, you can also add ' --incognito' to default to incognito

Thanks for sharing

#4 2016-09-15 07:11:32

oskari.rauta

Yeah, but I decided to put it in a right-click menu for easy/fast access..

#5 2016-09-15 09:20:11

Mr Green
Administrator

Very well presented, love the themes and icons. Carefully thought out. Pacman works out of the box. Tint2 does not look that good to me (could easily be made to blend in with overall theme. Conky needs a colour change to suit.

Guess I am out of a job wink

Comments, suggestions please feel free to contact me mrgreen(at)archbang(dot)org

#6 2016-09-15 09:55:22

oskari.rauta

No you are not.. I just made a hell of a lot of work for this, so I decided that it would be stupid not to share it, even though no one might be interested.

Tint2 colors can be changed - I made also tint2conf to support gradients. And yes, I have been on a conversation about this with tint2 developer... Pull request is pending...

And... I think colors are great, but there's just that I run this on a Lenovo Laptop, which as default on linux hits background light to the maximum, so it doesn't look that dark to me.. But well, they are just colors, and all changeable by user, like the description says, system is tuned, but ofcourse this tune that is being followed, is being played by the author..

Anyway, if there's anything you like, feel free to import it. I really love the archbang, but I don't think it suites out of the box for my spouse or my mother.. Or me, I drive a truck for living, long days, I need a system that boots fast and gets me online and browsing fast, as I don't have that much spare time wink

This is how I wanted to configure my archbang - so why not make it a own version that already holds what is perfection in my opinion wink

#7 2016-09-15 12:37:26

Mr Green
Administrator

Of course you are free to create as you wish, whole point of linux in general. My comments are not criticism. I love the stock theme... Getting a uniform dark theme is not easy when you are dealing with three toolkits.

Think clock and calendar might make it way to a future release wink

Thank you for sharing, Welcome to ArchBang

Comments, suggestions please feel free to contact me mrgreen(at)archbang(dot)org

#8 2016-09-15 12:51:54

oskari.rauta

You are welcome.

Did you try it - or just reviewed from the screenshot?

---

I would hope someone would try it. It works as archbang usually, there's no requirement for installation, it can be driven from USB drive.
But in case that someone does want to install it to test for example, the features of modified NetworkManager, it's a bit different from normal archbang:
- GRUB boot loader support is removed (actually, it's only disabled and unfinished), target audience runs this standalone, or with Windows (10), so I chose syslinux.
- Preferred install method wants 2 partitions: 1 ext3 with at least 64mb and a root partition, before install, mount root partition as /mnt, create /mnt/boot and mount boot partition there, this is because syslinux does not support 64bit ext4 which is default format for ext4 partition with ArchLinux,

Board footer