You are not logged in.

#1 2016-04-18 14:11:46

Treqzi

Issues Installing ArchBang from USB

I have never installed arch before so I'm quite confused as to whats going wrong. I have tried installing through the abinstaller but after the restart i dont have a os installed. I'm not 100% sure as to what went wrong and i could really use some help because i dont have another way to install another os at this time.

#2 2016-04-18 17:33:21

oliver
Administrator

Re: Issues Installing ArchBang from USB

What happens when you reboot?

#3 2016-04-18 19:08:53

Treqzi

oliver wrote:

What happens when you reboot?

It says boot device not found. Please install and operating system. I'd really love to get this up and running because i enjoy a difficult learning curve and this has me stumped.

Last edited by Treqzi (2016-04-18 20:18:55)

#4 2016-04-18 23:25:01

Mr Green
Administrator

Start archbang via USB live then try mounting your internal hard drive, then check if system files are present. Missing operating system sounds like you have either mounted the wrong device or installed to USB drive.

If a bootloader was present you would at the very least get a prompt or a different error.

Comments, suggestions please feel free to contact me mrgreen(at)archbang(dot)org

#5 2016-04-19 10:06:01

Treqzi

Mr Green wrote:

Start archbang via USB live then try mounting your internal hard drive, then check if system files are present. Missing operating system sounds like you have either mounted the wrong device or installed to USB drive.

If a bootloader was present you would at the very least get a prompt or a different error.

Thats where im having an issue, im only able to mount singular partitions of my drive not the entire drive itself. When i try to mount /dev/sda i get "mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sda missing codepage or helper program, or other error."

#6 2016-04-19 23:06:09

oliver
Administrator

Treqzi wrote:
Mr Green wrote:

Thats where im having an issue, im only able to mount singular partitions of my drive not the entire drive itself. When i try to mount /dev/sda i get "mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sda missing codepage or helper program, or other error."

That's not an issue :-)  It's to be expected that you cannot mount the whole disk and only the individual partitions.

I agree with Mr Green - it sounds like a bootloader didn't get installed for whatever reason or possibly that you said to install to a partition and didn't set the partition as bootable in fdisk

What was your partition layout (fdisk -l /dev/sdX)?
What bootloader did you want to install?
Did you install it to the MBR or a partition?

#7 2016-04-20 00:09:44

Treqzi

oliver wrote:

That's not an issue :-)  It's to be expected that you cannot mount the whole disk and only the individual partitions.

I agree with Mr Green - it sounds like a bootloader didn't get installed for whatever reason or possibly that you said to install to a partition and didn't set the partition as bootable in fdisk

What was your partition layout (fdisk -l /dev/sdX)?
What bootloader did you want to install?
Did you install it to the MBR or a partition?

So here is what i get doing fdisk -l:
/dev/sda1 30G ext4
/dev/sda2 11G swap
/dev/sda3 512M FAT32
/dev/sda4 554.7G ext4

I installed syslinux bootloader to the MBR.

Like in my OP this is my first attempt at installing arch on a system.

#8 2016-04-20 09:13:24

oliver
Administrator

The 512MB FAT32 partition makes me think you have a UEFI/GPT setup.   If so (and /dev/sda1 is / ) you could possibly try something like this (but there are assumptions so don't take it as a precise guide)

boot off a live image
live$ sudo bash
# mount /dev/sda1 /mnt
# mount /dev/sda3 /mnt/boot
# arch-chroot /mnt /bin/bash

At this point you'll be 'in' your installation and you should be seeing the usual /usr, /var /etc structure and you can pick up the Arch install guide at https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Be … oot_loader

When done, exit out from the chroot with 'exit' and reboot

I don't have UEFI/GPT so it's a little bit of guesswork on my part.  Hopefully someone else can offer a more conclusive solution

#9 2016-04-20 15:14:51

Treqzi

oliver wrote:

The 512MB FAT32 partition makes me think you have a UEFI/GPT setup.   If so (and /dev/sda1 is / ) you could possibly try something like this (but there are assumptions so don't take it as a precise guide)

boot off a live image
live$ sudo bash
# mount /dev/sda1 /mnt
# mount /dev/sda3 /mnt/boot
# arch-chroot /mnt /bin/bash

At this point you'll be 'in' your installation and you should be seeing the usual /usr, /var /etc structure and you can pick up the Arch install guide at https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Be … oot_loader

When done, exit out from the chroot with 'exit' and reboot

I don't have UEFI/GPT so it's a little bit of guesswork on my part.  Hopefully someone else can offer a more conclusive solution

Alright, I installed systemd but I dont understand how to add an entry to the boot config. I was guessing a text editor or something to add it into the .conf file but idk which to use hmm

Board footer