You are not logged in.

#1 2016-04-07 07:40:33

REX01

HIII iam New to Linux Please Help.

Hi Iam a windows from XP to 10 and now i want to move into new world,a world full of surprise and i have never use Linux and i want to start from ARCH Linux  people say iam crazy but iam asking to you is it realy heard as a begainer to use ARCH LINUX.

I am waiting For your rply

#2 2016-04-07 10:33:44

Mr Green
Administrator

Re: HIII iam New to Linux Please Help.

You may need to read up on linux before trying Arch. Running ArchBang live will allow you to try out Archlinux. Linux is not difficult but then I have used it for quite some time. But it is quite different from windows and you will have to learn how to use a terminal.

Comments, suggestions, donations please feel free to contact me mrgreen(at)archbang(dot)org

#3 2016-04-07 16:32:26

pablokal
Administrator
Website

Try Manjaro for the most easy entry into Archlinux or Linux Mint as most easy Linux if you are coming from Windows.
Openbox  is  quite a different window manager and although very user friendly not the first choice for someone coming from windows.

Getting your questions answered here at ArchBang Forums
Please! Always give hardware info, if there is a chance that 's relevant: #lspci -vnn
On Arch(bang) and Openbox: http://stillstup.blogspot.com/

#4 2016-04-08 03:41:06

rabbit

REX01, I can set out the challenge to inspire you (or scare you!!).  You will have to (independantly) install Archbang, and update the SW packages. Firefox is already included in ArchBang "iso".  You must use Firefox to access the Web thru LAN or WLAN. Then install a new package eg. Thunderbird for email and use it after configuration.  To achieve above you must read "ArchWiki" on the net. Upon success, you will have learned the "basics" of Arch Linux.  Archwiki documentation is excellent but cryptic to the un-initiated.

There is really no good way for someone else to help you learn Arch. It will be easier to initially try a different "flavour" of Linux, others have suggested Manjaro or Mint and you might find it easier to get help on those flavours from their respective websites; because those flavours are intended for "newbies".  Then again you may want this Arch Challenge to motivate you.

If you succeed here, you will feel much self-satisfaction and achievement (as I did). Linux is really much better than "Windows" but it takes huge initial effort to set it up.

#5 2016-04-08 03:55:59

eric
Website

Well, i talk about my experience : my first distro was archlinux smile.i switched to linux with it. i learned all my skill under it from the beginning. If you really want to learn linux is the best distro because you are obliged to learn, no choice.
Certainly it is very complicated at the beginning but if you can install and maintain Arch you can make what do you want with other distro (in general, may be funtoo or gentoo is a little more complicated). My advice: be crazy and begin with archlinux. Archbang is perfect to understand and learn how to work a linux system and avoids to begin from the scratch, but step by step you can do it smile. You must be motived, if you just want using a linux distro as windows take Manjaro or ubuntu. If you want to learn linux, take Arch, it's up to you smile

Last edited by eric (2016-04-08 04:26:04)

Obarun : free to control your system

#6 2016-04-08 11:11:34

Mr Green
Administrator

What I should have done at the time when starting Archlinux was usse a virtual machine, today it is very easy to set a system, mess around with it before touching anything on a real drive. I agree with eric if you want to learn then try archlinux. We are willing to answer any questions you may have.

Comments, suggestions, donations please feel free to contact me mrgreen(at)archbang(dot)org

#7 2016-04-09 00:30:03

REX01

Thank You all i am willing to try arch hay and thanks for your advise,can u tell me do i need UEFI or bios,What is system requirement for arch bang and any book or video link to learn about ARCH

#8 2016-04-09 19:23:13

rabbit

UEFI depends on whether your hardware (laptop,desktop) demands it. Check your hw spec. Many Linux users have older hw before the time of UEFI or can disable UEFI. There is no need for latest CPU to get good performance; Windows seems to need "faster" CPU hardware. Graphics hw like ATI, nVidia, Intel require drivers which you have to verify against ArchWiki. Likewise some WLAN drivers eg. Broadcom require special drivers. 

I use laptops and desktops, HW over 5 yrs old (DDR2-800) with AMD Turion and Intel Core2Duo CPU, 1 with Broadcom WLAN.

This is where you have to cross-reference the hw against ArchWiki. Only you know what hw you possess and therefore what driver "compatibility" you require. Sometimes there is trial&error evaluation of drivers and such. This is an example of the challenges that awaits you.

Last edited by rabbit (2016-04-09 19:35:22)

#9 2016-04-10 03:37:42

REX01

Well currently Downloading some video about ARCHBANG and yes ian going to buy a new laptop instead of install archbang at my old pC with core 2duo but my new lap will get a lot and good processor like i3,i5 and yes iam glad that i coose to be here and can u tell how can create bootable disk for arch bang since u guys are expart and iam counting on u

Board footer