You are not logged in.

#1 2016-02-18 13:45:52

mrzwing

Computer cant find usb

Hello

i have tried everything it feels like even Experimented with PXE but as soon as i even sniffed at a partitioning program for example Gparted it just crashed.

the problem i have is that the computer i want to install on doesn't find och recognize the USB at all.

I have tried several "make live" programs and ways and several of my usb memories.

its a older computer with the old basic Bios on. i hade some luck for a short while when i was testing one of the usb's and it showed up as a hard drive instead of a external source.

i have dug through every little menu and the word legacy isn't anywhere the usb alternatives are pretty basic can only choose if i want to use 1.1 or 2.

the annoying thing is that i have installed from a usb before and now it flat denies and refuses.

anyone with a similar problem?

#2 2016-02-18 18:15:32

oliver
Administrator

Re: Computer cant find usb

I've never had any luck with 'make live' programs.  The only thing that works for me 100% of the time is dd (and do double-check the output file destination (the of= part) - it *will* happily destroy whatever you already have there with no confirmation)

# dd if=/path/to/your/iso of=/dev/sdb bs=1024k

This may not help if you're in a catch-22 situation of needing linux to run dd

Can you boot from optical disk?

#3 2016-02-18 22:48:34

mrzwing

Re: Computer cant find usb

Well i have some spare optical. i have also thought about a extra solution where i take one of the drives and put a boot image on as a emergency solution.

and if that won't work i will try and yell profanities at it until i feel better.

Board footer