You are not logged in.

#1 2016-02-14 15:13:46

folatt

Do I want AB for a developer's environment of an Arch flavor?

The questions:

- Which setup is best?
- Is ArchBang useful for this type of project?

So I'm a fan of the small Arch flavor called ArkOS, a self-hosting server OS based on Arch Linux and I want to create an environment where I can co-develop this OS.

Now my problem is "How should my developer's environment look like?". Because I have several scenario's, but I'll start with the one I abandoned:

1) Use my home computer, fire up vagrant/Virtualbox. Write a vagrant script that installs the whole shebang, giving potential other developers a clean developer's environment.

This worked perfectly. I loved the fact that I could use a configuration script to build a whole image.
There was just one thing: My computer could not handle both watching/listening to youtube video's and playing webgames, while simultaneously program on eclipse. :-(. Eclipse was especially slow with scrolling.

-------

So I thought: 'I need two computers, one for leisure stuff and one for hobby development.' The solution I came up with and I'm still working on, but am questioning myself on at the moment is this:

2) A bare-metal hypervisor with

- A Dom0 (OS: Arch Linux) that does nothing but host my ArkOS
- A DomU (OS: Arch Linux + ArkOS repo = ArkOS) with a graphical environment to run eclipse on, where I can develop, test and debug ArkOS' code locally. And I'm thinking since ArchBang can do the graphical stuff, then perhaps it's best to combine the three instead of just two and wondering whether I should go for LXDE or XFCE for a DE.

Current problem is that I have no idea how the DomU . I've only recently been able to set up a VNC connection to the DomU, but all it does is take me to the console. Typing startx gives me the error of screen not found.

------

Now I've talked about this with someone in the tiny ArkOS community and he came up with a different vision:

3) Use a bare-metal hypervisor with

- A Dom0 that's graphical (Arch + AB), that has eclipse running on it
- A DomU that runs ArkOS non-graphically

This means that I would be "remotely programming?" (does that even exist?) or just debug remotely. I never have set up anything like that, but then again, I never set up a hypervisor and it's kind of working already.

------

But I've come to ask myself, why use a hypervisor at all? It takes up memory and RAM and CPU. Thus:

4) Just have the Arch+ArkOS(+AB) OS and if all crashes, simply rebuild the whole thing from scratch. Follow the Arch tutorial + an own written one.
No need to test the installation of the OS, as long as the apps run well it's good enough.

Or perhaps do have an installer script project that's written locally on a pendrive.

#2 2016-02-14 18:11:02

oliver
Administrator

Re: Do I want AB for a developer's environment of an Arch flavor?

folatt wrote:

There was just one thing: My computer could not handle both watching/listening to youtube video's and playing webgames, while simultaneously program on eclipse. :-(. Eclipse was especially slow with scrolling.

Your questions are beyond my skill set but I would start here.  What was the constraint?  CPU, RAM, disk I/O?

#3 2016-02-15 10:19:08

Mr Green
Administrator

Sounds like a cloud based virtual system, either something along the lines of buildbot or docker (images could be tested and run). Not sure I can be much help I just build isos and then test under Virtualbox.... Nor heard of ArkOS so would need to check it out wink

Comments, suggestions please feel free to contact me mrgreen(at)archbang(dot)org

#4 2016-02-15 12:24:53

folatt

Your questions are beyond my skill set but I would start here.  What was the constraint?  CPU, RAM, disk I/O?

I don't know how I could monitor my disk I/O speed and it's the first time. I thought it was RAM at first, due to having lots of browser tabs open and it being near full, but looking back at it, my CPU cores were at 70+% and I think one core was going up to a 100% from time to time.
And I have weak CPU's. The one I used had a passmark rate of around 5k at http://www.cpubenchmark.net/.
But I want to go from passive cooling to low wattage no cooling CPU's, so the ones I have now, have a passmark rate of ~2500 and ~1850.

#5 2016-02-15 12:45:16

folatt

Mr Green wrote:

Sounds like a cloud based virtual system, either something along the lines of buildbot or docker (images could be tested and run). Not sure I can be much help I just build isos and then test under Virtualbox.... Nor heard of ArkOS so would need to check it out wink

Thank you very much! So that means I can choose for option 4 and then install buildbot and/or docker and try both of them out.

#6 2016-02-16 07:44:23

oliver
Administrator

folatt wrote:

I don't know how I could monitor my disk I/O speed and it's the first time.

If you ever want to, you can use sar/iostat/iotop

Personally, my favourite is sar but each tool has it's merits

Board footer