You are not logged in.

#1 2015-09-09 12:28:29

m1chou

Yeeeeeeellow (Im a noob & will probs be here a lot)

I used to use arch way long ago, but then my computer broke so I just survived with a mobile phone for a couple of years. I didn't know what I was doing then and I don't know what I'm doing now, but fucking things up is the best way to learn, right? Trail By Fire.

But I didnt realize just how much I'd forgotten. (Everything, basically. I'm like an infant again. I USED TO SORT OF KNOW THINGS, I SWEAR!)

I kinda wish I'd just gone regular flavor arch, because the install is such a bitch I would've at least crash-coursed my way to a slightly better understanding of what the hell I'm doing.

The wiki is nice and all but also it reads like gibberish to someone who doesn't know much. It isn't very helpful, basically, to someone who doesn't have a baseline level of knoweledge. (EX: "edit (file) in pacman & add this line:" -- I def forgot how to edit shit via pacman.)

But I need a slim distro because Im running this shit on a refurbished dell latitude D620 I got on ebay, so. Also the openbox setup here is p sweet.

Anyway, I have literally no idea how to even download an application. Like I untar this tarball and then what? IDEK. I run -Syu and get a bunch of failed to connect errors. I just really need to upgrade flashplayer and have no fuckin clue where to begin. Like I untar this tarball annnd ... then what? So that's basically where I am right now.

See Yall Around

#2 2015-09-10 07:00:50

xtremyst

Re: Yeeeeeeellow (Im a noob & will probs be here a lot)

Ηi m1chou and wellcome to Archbang!
Pacman is an easy to use and flexible package manager. You should start by refreshing the mirror's package list with:

sudo pacman -Syy

and upgrade your system:

sudo pacman -Syu

It's a common issue for people who are new to archbang, from this point you can start using pacman to download the applications you need.
Please spent some time to read the Archbang wiki. For any other difficulties don't hesitate to ask other users in this forum to help you.
Best regards

#3 2015-09-10 11:48:01

pablokal
Administrator
Website

Why don't you try a somewhat easier distro? I seems  you have to edit your mirrorlist. https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Mirrors

Getting your questions answered here at ArchBang Forums
Please! Always give hardware info, if there is a chance that 's relevant: #lspci -vnn
On Arch(bang) and Openbox: http://stillstup.blogspot.com/

#4 2015-09-10 18:38:42

m1chou

pablokal wrote:

Why don't you try a somewhat easier distro? I seems  you have to edit your mirrorlist. https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Mirrors

I did the thing on the sticky for editing mirrors (the sticky in these forums) (the deleting "arch" after "os/$" and putting whatever you're running

No dice

pacman - Syy = quite a few 404 errors

Also if  I wanted to use a Somewhat Easier Distro, I would be using a somewhat easier Distro. 

I wanna LEARN and it's just gonna take a while. I'm not hopeless. 

Anyway I felt like maybe the install was wonky (it felt wonky at the time), so I was like "meh I'll just redo" (no harm hahaha
HA)

But now after partitioning hard-drives the install script skips over the part where I choose root etc etc etc

It's like "oh you're done? Nifty let us install" Mais non that is not how this works

IDK man IDK

The Struggle Continues

#5 2015-09-10 18:49:38

m1chou

Never had these problems with Regular Flavor Arch so I think I'm just gonna Switch Back and try to configure openbox to be as shiny as y'all got it running myself

#6 2015-09-11 07:09:29

oliver
Administrator

m1chou wrote:

But now after partitioning hard-drives the install script skips over the part where I choose root etc etc etc

It's like "oh you're done? Nifty let us install" Mais non that is not how this works

You can always manually move around the install menu and select whatever section you want to complete (i.e. re-do previous entries or complete a skipped option)

#7 2015-09-11 08:55:09

m1chou

YOOOOOOOOO I FIGURED IT OUT lol itscooooool hahaha that was stupid easy

#8 2015-09-11 08:57:47

m1chou

I just forgot like every single basic bash command but I dicked around in puppy Linux last night Just for Fun and found my footing

Mirrors Good To Go

Just gotta figure out AUR shit and whether HAL is better than freshplayer etc etc

Flash installed but still not, you know, fully functional

God I Hate Flashplayer

#9 2015-09-11 11:05:54

oliver
Administrator

If you're using Chromium, you'll need chome-pepper-flash.

For AUR, you will need to do this:

$ sudo pacman -S --needed base-devel

Then go to aur.archlinux.org and find the pkg you want - then click on the 'download snapshot' link - this will give you a tar.gz file

The basic method is:

$ tar zxvf <pkg>.tar.gz
$ cd <pkg>
$ makepkg -is

It may error out if you're missing dependencies that are also in the AUR.

There are helpers ('packer' for example) that automate all of this but it's always good to know what it's doing

#10 2015-09-12 04:12:40

Mr Green
Administrator

Not sure if packer has been updated too aur4, using Olivers method is the way to go....learn more about your system in the process

Welcome too ArchBang

Comments, suggestions, donations please feel free to contact me mrgreen(at)archbang(dot)org

#11 2015-09-13 10:53:58

replabrobin

fairly sure packer has been updated, but if not my version packer-combined certainly has.

#12 2015-09-14 13:06:45

m1chou

UPDATE:

after my second install, things got Super Wonky. Like, it seemed as though everything was fixed, but it turns out something whent wrong with the harddrives. I think cfdsk wasn't fully deleting the old partitions, so things were getting all messed up. It only worked when I deleted them via the second harddrive editiong option (starts with a g), then went back into cfdsk, and I had to repeat the process about four times for it to let me choose a root, and then on reboot I got a LOT of error messages before the login screen. Then I started getting errors from pacman about, like, PG ... something signatures.

ANYWAY, as beautiful as the archbang openbox setup is, I have decided to work my way back up to regular Arch linux via Manjaro, because their install can auto-partition harddrives. I did the net-install so I could sidestep the bloatware. SO I'll be heading off to their forums momentarily.

Agreed in regards to avoiding packer and yaourt. Yaourt is the default in manjaro and everything happened very fast when I downloaded Hal (I use firefox), so I'm not sure where anything went / what exactly HAPPENED. Flash works, but yaourt feels messy. Annoyingly, wifi isn't working, but hopefully that'll get fixed soon.

My struggles with both Archbang and Manjaro are, I guess, that in making things a bit easier, they're also a little bit harder. Like, because I didn't manually copy xinitrc to /etc/ during a graphical boot up or whatever, I don't know where that directory is. So I get linked back to the Arch wiki, which is fabulous albeit overwhelming, and it's like I've been given the wrong map. Like, just a slightly wrong map.

So, counterintuitively, I think regular flavor arch is better for noobs, because at least then you know exactly what is happening where.

#13 2015-09-14 23:50:18

Mr Green
Administrator

@replabrobin I went with a patch for packer, not checked since if it had been fixed. Still messing with Alpine wink

Comments, suggestions, donations please feel free to contact me mrgreen(at)archbang(dot)org

Board footer