You are not logged in.

#1 2014-05-31 07:42:21

scjet

What's your hope for a future Linux OS, ... ?

First, the gorey part:
http://www.macleans.ca/news/former-micr … ap-source/

yes, I know, it's called 'Capitalism", but sheesh.
The greed and power of these M$ CEO's, like Steve Ballmer,  is shameful, be it Microsodt, Apple, IBM,..., they're all the same, they buy "toys" like this (see link above),
with money that some countries don't even have as a GDP, and then they go on TV,..., and say: "...yes, WE should all do more to feed the hungry,..., in the world"
They steal so much from the Linux's, BSD's, ..., and never, not once do they, or would they ever contribute anything back.

No wonder Linux is tempted to become a "Windows" -although we all know that'll never happen, 'cause the Microsofts, and the Google's,..., will simply take the cream of the Linux devs, programmers, and simply throw-away the rest, keeping what's left of the Linux communities, as a "seeding ground" for their corporate monopolies only.
-it's happened to FreeBSD's once already, -whether that is agreeable or not to many.

Ok, now
My view of a future Linux:
My aspirations of Linux was one of a great, and world-widely used OS for the masses, in direct-competition against the "Corporate"-OS'es, -to the eventual point of stamping them out completely, because we simply will not need them, We will have instead, never-ending choices with the various "Free" flavours of Linux, BSD, ...
Yes, we'd obviously still pay for hardware, and any specialized Apps, and specialized support,  but the OS (Linux, BSD) would ALWAYS remain Free, and unencumbered.
(The futire hardware-manufacturers, would work directly with the (Free) Linux's, and/or (Free) BSD OS'es), to ensure best possible Quality.
The purchase of the hardware, shared amongst those manufacturers would help offset the continual cost of OS develpments, and ensure "change", and "choice", are forever available.
(For example, ...very similar to the Raspberry Pi approach).
There's a lot of cleaning up to do to get there, but ...
Nobody will ever make $Billions, like that fool Ballmer-(see link above), but instead, we'll have many, many more jobs with everyone making quite decent money, all around.
smile

Last edited by scjet (2014-05-31 08:03:08)

#2 2014-05-31 11:15:24

pablokal
Administrator
Website

Re: What's your hope for a future Linux OS, ... ?

I like you being so optimistic. But I have a hard time believing that this is still possible.
Again in IG's post on Julian Assange is a video link
It is FreeBSD developer Poul-Heening Kamp’s  talk at the FOSDEM BSD conference in 2014
about how NSA people would be thinking about compromising security and how useful the whole FOSS world would be fitting in this scheme.
His final conclusion is that a lot of FOSS people have thought that through providing good technical solutions they could and would provide an concrete alternative for digital empowerment. He has lost his faith in that and suggests that we should think much more political and share our worries  with the big public, reliable politicians and raise consciousness etc.
His line of reasoning is very strong -watch the video- but having been political active lots of years and seeing where we are now, I'm not optimistic about going this political route.
All the young people I know, young students, (but also older people that have some political consciousness, for example regarding climate change) are as ignorant and  indifferent for their digital enslavement as can be. Their gadget fascination is their prime incentive and status symbol. You are your phone as  our generations status often was determined by what car you owned. You are lucky if you can get their attention. But most of all will think you're a little paranoid and blame this on your political point of view when you are getting somewhat deeper into the matter.
I think what is most important that we have/are some people connected who share the same worries and are trying to find some way out.
I'm not proposing we should drop everything out of our hands. But we should talk more and investigate together what is the best horse  to bet on , the best way to go, how to fight for and regain our digital freedoms.

A small side note: He acknowledges that the situation in the *BSD world is not essentially better or more trustworthy than in Linux.

Getting your questions answered here at ArchBang Forums
Please! Always give hardware info, if there is a chance that 's relevant: #lspci -vnn
On Arch(bang) and Openbox: http://stillstup.blogspot.com/

#3 2014-05-31 12:24:39

scjet

Yes, "Kamp" was crushingly honest admitting to, as you quoted "the situation in the *BSD world is not essentially better or more trustworthy than in Linux."

There was a similar confrontation with OpenBSD founder, Theo, and the DARPA/Bush Administration, back in '03, because Bush & Co, approached OpenBSD with some very lucrative $$$ security/"contract" deals for them, if you know what i mean.
http://archive.arstechnica.com/news/pos … 93906.html

Anyway, nobody really knows why, but Theo, didn't get the answers to his questions that he wanted, so he went "public", to the "Globe & Mail", a major (Toronto)canadian newspaper.
Well, right after that, as you might have known,  DARPA/NSA/Bush/whoever magically CUT all funding to the OpenBSD community, asking for their money back?,  and then advised, our Gov't, to do the same....
It had (initially) financially crippled OpenBSD, but luckily they had relied on generous "donations" from their User/Community, various ppl's, companies, support, ... around the world, and they had done so, long before "Bush" showed up, so, they are thankfully, still around.

Nevertheless, OpenBSD is now a smaller community than it used to be.
But you're right, this clandestine way of dealing with honest citizens, and their organizations, is not new around here.

As our ex PM of Canada (Pierre Trudeau) was once quoted, back in the 70's/80's, regarding living beside America, as your neighbour: "...It is like sleeping in bed with an elephant, YOU feel their every move, you never know if they might roll over and crush you?" -but other than that, we're kissing cousins.
wink

I'm not sure why I brought all that up, 'casue a lot has changed since then.
But, personally, imho, Theo de Raadt had a lot of "balls" doing what he did, even though it meant losing major-"funding" for OpenBSD.

Linux, today, needs to make a "decisive" stand here too, at least for their Community's/Supporter's sake, juist like Openbsd tried to do, and their's is much BIGGER than OpenBSD.
and if they don't soon,
then they may also be slowly crushed/morphed themselves, under the weight of gigantic multi-national Corporate-Gov't and/or, (worse) Interests. ?

Last edited by scjet (2014-05-31 13:25:25)

#4 2015-02-24 07:06:53

Lineaxe

I don't think much of this greater hope/despair bussiness...
But if you do buy into that, you will most likely just be depressed, in the end.
Think instead of what you can do, and enjoy it to the fullest.

All I know is that it's all software, people and projects! And once the greater FOSS community understands this, we can really start integrating and creating superior software, for one unified OS.
It's just distractions and not being able to see this real potential that stands in our way.

If we think about the many open source projects out there, and the many Windows and Mac developers (potential converts), we have won the big game already. Windows is just becoming worse, while Linux is always growing and improving. Though there are distractions, like Systemd, and politics (again look to Systemd, hehe).

Far too often people bring up Windows compatibility, and needing Windows software. But it's just software... and most sane developers don't want to work on office applications smile

So if we could integrate the office software in a bigger framework, more developers would give it their time.

So what needs to happen first is the creation of a truly intuitive interface for everything, and based on a lighter GUI framework, like FLTK (but obviously better), where developers can easily write plugins for it.
This is something I've been working on, but distractions come in my way, like having to *deal* with FLTK. It should be based on XCB, and have low-level access, and just basic elements like an easily configurable editor, buttons, lists, menus and so on. Extra elements should be in a separate library, or just classes that you can download and use in your project.

With this, we will conquer the mobile space with pure Linux, and have a far superior desktop. At least for the companies in the Linaro group.
Once the GUI is unified and perfected, more developers can start focusing on improving the kernel, and creating a rejuventating effort to optimizing the various software layers, and drivers.
And with open source VR software, and HMD's, we might be able to conquer this exponentially rising medium. Or rather violently boiling stew... with companies rising and falling. And open source rising to the top, with patient software development efforts, and integration of all the best ideas.

And I was a game developer to begin with, so to conquer the world of gaming, well we need to fix drivers issues of course, but we also need a superior engine, to create and run any kind of game in.

This has been an aspiration. But I'm now aiming for something more practical: an intra-engine game engine -- a layer for writing all high-level game-specific code in, and the other stuff handled by the graphics- or simple game- engine (simple game engine: like Urho3D or Irrlicht).
An intra-engine layer for creating characters, animating them, scripting expressions on their faces, simulating the game world, and an extendible world-editor, integrated in it. And other tools for high-level things, like rigging models, and generating ragdolls, world generator, built upon it, with classes.
And my own, very simple media-layer (graphics, sound...), and physics with efficient spatial partitioning, for making graphically simple games with this layer.
It's still a lot of work, but at least I don't have to write a modern graphics engine.

And of course an integrated community, with a superior community software. Which is also something I'm working on. Which is the first thing I will be releasing for the FOSS community. Or perhaps I will get the WM done faster, if I can easily simplify uWM, and add my features to it.
Then the rest will go smoother.

So, unification is what's required. And a superior, modular distro, to unify the community.
And if we don't revolutionize these layers, progress will be slow.

This is my view, and what I'm working on.
But it's far too brief, I should really write a book about this perspective, to get more converts to FOSS. smile
But I rather put all of my time into development, and get it out there...

Last edited by Lineaxe (2015-02-24 07:12:08)

#5 2015-02-24 09:02:05

pablokal
Administrator
Website

Great visions lead to great results. Hope you will realize at least some of your goals. Lots of success.
It would be great if you could gather a team around you of experienced developers.

Getting your questions answered here at ArchBang Forums
Please! Always give hardware info, if there is a chance that 's relevant: #lspci -vnn
On Arch(bang) and Openbox: http://stillstup.blogspot.com/

#6 2015-02-24 09:18:07

Lineaxe

Yes, a team, that's what I would like. A core team, later company, for these projects and more, earning money by game development. And perhaps selling advanced modules in the GUI integration framework.
And a greater FOSS community around it, greatly accelerated by my wiki and community system.
That's the plan smile
And thank you for the encouragement!

It sounds like a lot, and perhaps a bit crazy, but I've worked on simpler projects and ideas for years, and these are the ideas I've come up with to integrate it all. And I couldn't possibly work on something less, when I've come up with these things ^^

Board footer