You are not logged in.

#1 2015-02-24 02:43:51

tuxic

Newcomer refugee from Debian Sid

This is my first attempt to Arch coming from Debian- specially Sid/Siduction.  I have to learn a lot, so please be kind and patient with me. Also my main language is Spanish so I'll do my best.

"Many people live and die... and all they do is process groceries."  H. Peavey

#2 2015-02-24 03:39:23

pablokal
Administrator
Website

Re: Newcomer refugee from Debian Sid

Welcome. Use the Arch wiki and you will be fine.

Getting your questions answered here at ArchBang Forums
Please! Always give hardware info, if there is a chance that 's relevant: #lspci -vnn
On Arch(bang) and Openbox: http://stillstup.blogspot.com/

#3 2015-02-24 04:54:13

Lineaxe

Re: Newcomer refugee from Debian Sid

Have you installed it yet?
If you've gotten through the installation process, set your mirrors, and ran "pacman -Syy", all you need to do is to start installing your favorite packages.

I suggest you use Tilda, or Guake, to have a drop-down terminal, to work comfortably in the terminal. At least for downloading packages, to begin with.
I also suggest moving the pacman cache to a different partition, especially if you are going to install a DE, and other big packages. Or perhaps you are willing to have 20GB partition for the root file-system.
But if you are having the root partition as close to the first partition of the disk as possible, you get faster read-write speeds, and if your partition is smaller, it takes less time for the drive to go from file-to-file.

And for the best performance, especially in Linux, use at least four separate partitions, as you don't have a disk defragmentation program to really optimize the placement of files, just e4defrag for ext4 partitions.
And if you have a large disk, it would be good to have even more partitions. As I'm not so sure about how efficiently the kernel and file-system kernel modules places files on the disk. All I know is that the ntfs module scatters and fragments files crazily (which can be observed by a Windows defragmentation program).
So there are always ways to get around these problems that Windows solves. But much more efficiently, as well. As ext file-systems don't cause fragmentation to begin with (unless you have a full disk, or files grow in size, like log-files).

Well, not really what someone new to Arch will require, but it's a piece to the puzzle at least, and I wanted to write about this ^^

Welcome! And good luck!

Oh, and I hope you are equally patient with the community smile As I noticed I use some long sentences, which must be read in a more patient mind-state, to not have to re-read them to understand what they mean.

Last edited by Lineaxe (2015-02-24 04:59:09)

Board footer