You are not logged in.

#1 2015-02-18 09:21:34

Lineaxe

RPi2: let's get creative!

So the first thing I obviously want to do with the new Raspberry Pi is to just torrent ArchBang, which is the distro I actually use on all of my computers (exclusively, as the main OS). Though I admire Tiny Core, Puppy Linux, and dCore most of all, as they can be useful by just plugging in a flash drive, and you have your full OS up and running.
But those distros are damn small ISO's, TC and dCore aren't as popular, so they don't really need to use torrents.

It seems RPi2 is what you should google for, or having Raspberry Pi 2 in quotes, when wanting to find information about it. And without quotes you may get info for the old versions, which may be just as relevant in most cases, by the way.
Well, as long as you then add other relevant search-terms, as just typing Rpi2 gets you other stuff on Google. I wish they had made rpi2 or some other short search-term official...

So the RPi2 has a 4-core CPU, with the same GPU as before (which was sufficient, and is sufficient for my purposes), and is 2 times faster for single-threaded benchmarks, and 6 times faster or more for multi-threaded benchmarks (http://www.raspberrypi.org/raspberry-pi-2-on-sale/ in the FAQ section), with 1GB of RAM minus 64-128 of the GPU's RAM.

So, some practical things which becomes available:
*Actually running a pretty fast server, with probably around 800MB of data cached in RAM (can probably be increased by running Arch Linux).
*Finally being able to compile some bigger projects without having to run it for days. And you could have it as a pretty slow (as in patience) build-server.
*Probably playing Cube 2: Saurbraten and other not-too-intense 3D Linux games fine! (haven't gotten to test it yet, but I will start downloading and compiling it now).
And of course running the Cube 2 game server is no problem, as the old versions ran it well, at least for LAN.

So with the additional RAM, I could keep the whole ArchBang ISO in RAM. Just from switching from LXDM to JWM, I cut 30MB.
But this is obviously a too simple task for a 4-core CPU!

So it really inspires me to get on with my network programming ideas.

The main idea I have is to create a UDP-based wiki and community, which is very intuitive and easy to contribute to and discuss entries.
The GUI would be trivial with my design:
Text is the main-element, and everything is contained in blocks, which may be edited with a simple click, if you have the permissions.
And it's formatted in a vertical list, and blocks are loaded as you scroll down.

Anyways, the networking part is well on the way, and I shouldn't spoil the surprise to the Linux community, and I just post it here to see if anyone is interested in finally having a superior way of communicating ideas, sharing, cooperating, and even cooperative programming. As the wiki-text is using version control, and the same system would benefit code.
It will be open source, so you can use it for yourself, as a personal wiki for any task you can imagine.
So even if its rudimentary and limited, we will have something to build upon (self-motivation here ^^).

So what will/would you use it for?

Last edited by Lineaxe (2015-02-18 09:23:22)

#2 2015-02-18 12:38:48

scjet

Re: RPi2: let's get creative!

ya, but has rpi2 finally put a sata port on these? -nope.
I was looking at Cubieboard4 too, but they removed the sata port ?! -why I don't know.
mmm.
so for me anyway, NO local/onboard sata port?, then NO Buy.

But of course, depending on other user's needs, there are lots of uses for rpi2.  smile

Last edited by scjet (2015-02-18 12:45:18)

#3 2015-02-18 15:10:53

Lineaxe

Yes, they really should have a version with a sata port... especially as they think of it as a "mini-PC".
So you can't have a very fast file-server... though you can set up video-streaming easily by using ftpd on the Pi, and curlftps (for mounting the ftp file-system locally). And it will work perfectly on the LAN.
And that's a great use for the Pi, or any ARM dev board.

#4 2015-02-18 17:56:44

once

scjet wrote:

ya, but has rpi2 finally put a sata port on these? -nope.
I was looking at Cubieboard4 too, but they removed the sata port ?! -why I don't know.
mmm.
so for me anyway, NO local/onboard sata port?, then NO Buy.

But of course, depending on other user's needs, there are lots of uses for rpi2.  smile

there are others fruit pi ...
http://www.bananapi.com/index.php/compo … edit&id=24

#5 2015-02-19 04:58:49

Lineaxe

http://linux-sunxi.org/GPL_Violations

Though I hope there will be changes, as they joined Linaro last year: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linaro#History

So I won't go for Allwinner boards just yet.

#6 2015-02-19 08:20:08

pablokal
Administrator
Website

So it really inspires me to get on with my network programming ideas.

The main idea I have is to create a UDP-based wiki and community, which is very intuitive and easy to contribute to and discuss entries.
The GUI would be trivial with my design:
Text is the main-element, and everything is contained in blocks, which may be edited with a simple click, if you have the permissions.
And it's formatted in a vertical list, and blocks are loaded as you scroll down.

Anyways, the networking part is well on the way, and I shouldn't spoil the surprise to the Linux community, and I just post it here to see if anyone is interested in finally having a superior way of communicating ideas, sharing, cooperating, and even cooperative programming. As the wiki-text is using version control, and the same system would benefit code.
It will be open source, so you can use it for yourself, as a personal wiki for any task you can imagine.
So even if its rudimentary and limited, we will have something to build upon (self-motivation here ^^).

So what will/would you use it for?

This is very interesting. Read a bit about UDP  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_Datagram_Protocol
How about privacy and possibility to make it all safe for intrusion? This seems to be a minefield for all network software.

I think it would be very useful to have locally organized social networks instead of all the massive ones in which the big firms are mining all your data for their profit and angles for manipulation of yours truely.

Getting your questions answered here at ArchBang Forums
Please! Always give hardware info, if there is a chance that 's relevant: #lspci -vnn
On Arch(bang) and Openbox: http://stillstup.blogspot.com/

#7 2015-02-23 08:25:19

Lineaxe

Sorry forgot to respond! (getting busy, then forgetting... the usual)

Security and stability will be my main priority, as efficiency is already as high as it gets, as I have my own layer of macros for BSD sockets, then upon that inlined functions in classes for these macros.
But first I will just get it working. And backing it up through the internal version-control system.

And yes, a social network is something that it might grow to be. Especially for development teams, of any kind.

Board footer