You are not logged in.

#1 2015-01-29 02:26:43

AnonKS

LSD GNU/Linux rebranded. Entropy GNU/Linux

Hey everyone. Some of you should remember smil3y and the Less systemd project. Well a few of you actually contributed even smile.
I figured you may be interested to know that we've undergone a rebranding. The distro is now known as Entropy GNU/Linux.
In September of last year, our hosting plan was up for renewal. We were not satisfied with the service and decided to take the opportunity to switch providers. At the same time, we weren't sure if we wanted to hold on to our domain or not. Since every hosting plan offers a free domain name, we decided to rebrand.
We figured that LSD GNU/Linux could be misconstrued as being related to drug use. While this was a funny thought, at the beginning, we decided that it's perhaps not so smart in the long term. After much discussion we decided on Entropy.
Due to my work schedule and personal life, at the moment, I'm unable to contribute as much as I'd like to lately, and am just handling our hosting. Smil3y is however still hard at work. If any of you are interested, you can visit the new site at www.entropy-linux.com.
The new site still has a lot of work to be done but everything is there that needs to be. And feel free to drop smil3y a message. I'm sure he'll be happy to hear from you. smile
If anyone has any questions, I'll be lurking this board for most of the day.

#2 2015-01-29 07:25:54

pablokal
Administrator
Website

Re: LSD GNU/Linux rebranded. Entropy GNU/Linux

Read about development choices here: http://www.entropy-linux.com/wiki/doku.php?id=about

Getting your questions answered here at ArchBang Forums
Please! Always give hardware info, if there is a chance that 's relevant: #lspci -vnn
On Arch(bang) and Openbox: http://stillstup.blogspot.com/

#3 2015-01-29 07:44:26

oliver
Administrator

AnonKS wrote:

We figured that LSD GNU/Linux could be misconstrued as being related to drug use.

That was the best part about the name... I do see where you're coming from though

#4 2015-01-29 07:46:38

AnonKS

Hey pablokal. Long time no see. I'm happy to see you're still active here. smile

Although there's the big warning there, it's really very stable. I'm starting to get worried though as it's becoming increasingly difficult to work around systemd. It's listed as a dependency on almost everything, nowadays,  it seems. Super annoying.

#5 2015-01-29 09:22:13

Mr Green
Administrator

I am trying really hard to get runit working with arch. Most packages in arch depend on systemd so I am really struggling. Think rebranding is a really good idea.

Keep up the good work

Comments, suggestions, donations please feel free to contact me mrgreen(at)archbang(dot)org

#6 2015-01-30 00:30:25

AnonKS

Thanks Mr green. Cool to see you again, after so long. smile

Oliver,  my apologies,  we seem to have posted at the same time yesterday,  or something. The name LSD Linux was funny to us, too. Especially with our psychedelic blue rabbit with red eyes logo. We just figured that it would probably push away a lot of potential users. The distro is already quite specialized as it is. smile.

I'm trying to free up some time to work on it. If I could find the time to handle some ports and maintain some packages, we'd be much better off. Smil3y works a lot on it.

#7 2015-01-30 09:18:06

Mr Green
Administrator

Is entropy a new distro from ground up? Is it based in Arch? How does it stack up against Void?

Comments, suggestions, donations please feel free to contact me mrgreen(at)archbang(dot)org

#8 2015-01-30 10:16:12

oliver
Administrator

Mr Green wrote:

Is entropy a new distro from ground up? Is it based in Arch? How does it stack up against Void?

Are you thinking of EntropyBang? (or is that a film starring  Dick Van Dyke and Sally Ann Howes?)

#9 2015-01-30 10:24:38

Mr Green
Administrator

Want something I can build on, still like the idea of busybox/runit. Entropy already has an ISO so not really much point in creating one.

If I can keep the structure of arch but give users an alternative init then I would be happy.

#10 2015-01-30 12:34:03

AnonKS

Entropy is custom built from the ground up. It's its own distro. Can be used as a base if you want to tinker. I don't know much about void so I can't comment on that. Definitely give our package manager a spin. Smil3y made it himself and it's simply brilliant

As you may remember, LSD started out as a systemd free fork of arch. But after arch became overrun with systemd,  smil3y decided to build LSD from scratch. After almost 2 years of work, porting, tweaking and maintaining,  you have entropy.

I have to say, I'm theoretically a dev for Entropy, but I've only done small projects. Smil3y is really, really good at what he does though. I have massive respect for the guy. He's been working on it non-stop since its inception.

Last edited by AnonKS (2015-01-30 12:40:29)

Board footer