You are not logged in.

#1 2015-01-26 14:13:45

jmak

Please help recovering my usb stick

Hello,

I can't remove archbang iso from my usb stick!!!!
A few weeks ago I installed archbang and now, I can't recover my usb stick. It doen't matter what I do it still there. I used fdisk created new filesystem, I created new partition table, using gparted, using fdisk I tried every concivable variation including

dd count=1 bs=512 if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdc 

It doesn't matter what I do archbang is still there.
Please help!!!!!!! I don't want to throw away my usb stick.

#2 2015-01-26 17:25:55

jmak

Re: Please help recovering my usb stick

It's fixed.

#3 2015-01-26 21:29:18

ArchVortex
Retired

Please post what you did to fix your problem. Posting "It's fixed" doesn't help someone else who may have the same problem and is looking for a solution.

The command you posted removes the MBR of the USB stick and from experience, doesn't always allow the following partition table to be erased by GParted. Increasing the count from 1 to 10 will start zeroing the partition table and allow GParted to rewrite the USB stick without any problems. (hopefully  wink ) Trying the below command replacing the X in sdX with your assigned usb partition location should do the trick.

# dd count=10 bs=512 if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdX 

If you want to freshen up your usb stick, just run

# if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdX 

to write zeroes on the whole stick.

You have the capacity to learn from mistakes. You'll learn a lot today.
FP:E5F8 7DBA 8128 9ACB 75F7 7279 BE34 AB66 76D9 16DE
KEY ID:76D916DE
Currently running ArchBang / LFS / OpenSUSE Tumbleweed

#4 2015-01-27 16:57:09

jmak

ArchVortex wrote:

Please post what you did to fix your problem. Posting "It's fixed" doesn't help someone else who may have the same problem and is looking for a solution.

The command you posted removes the MBR of the USB stick and from experience, doesn't always allow the following partition table to be erased by GParted. Increasing the count from 1 to 10 will start zeroing the partition table and allow GParted to rewrite the USB stick without any problems. (hopefully  wink ) Trying the below command replacing the X in sdX with your assigned usb partition location should do the trick.

# dd count=10 bs=512 if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdX 

If you want to freshen up your usb stick, just run

# if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdX 

to write zeroes on the whole stick.

Hi ArchVortex,

I've tried several methods. Gparted didn't detect the mbr, even when I created a new partition table using gparted, the mbr remained on the usb stick, but it didn't give any error message so I thought everything was all right. I've tried fdisk, I partitioned and formatted the usb stick - the fdisk didn't give me any error message - and after reboot the arch mbr was still there. I was so upset. I spent a couple of hours trying to remove the arch distro without success. I'm not even sure what I've done to fix the stick. In retrospect, I think I didn't reboot right after formatting the stick and the old partition table stayed in memory. I'm not sure. "dd" method messing up the usb stick. "Unetbootin" has never had this problem, but unfortunately "Unetbootin" is useless with most newer distros.

Thanks for telling me how to write zeros on the stick. I tried that method and it took roughly one hour to complete (8gig usb) process.

Board footer