You are not logged in.

#1 2014-12-21 14:38:20

Mr Green
Administrator

Ignite your ArchBang install

https://github.com/chneukirchen/ignite

I have been messing about with runit for a while now and am starting to love it. Today for fun I installed void-runit under arch and while it boots it soon started to fail.

To make things easier for myself I have forked ignite

https://github.com/mrgreen3/ignite

Changes include rc.conf, 1 (init script) [for now]

To install runit you will need runit-musl ignite-git ( to ease the process install base-devel and an aur helper such as packer )

You will need to add an rc.conf config file, ignite does not install one ( /usr/share/doc/ignite-git/ )

Found it easier to add an init line too syslinux

... init=/usr/bin/runit-init....

At least this way you can edit it out or add a new entry should you wish to return to systemd

Speaking of systemd we are not running it but simply using systemd-udev ( if anyone can run mdev or eudev then I would like to know?)

At some point I will flesh out this post and maybe add it too our wiki....

Comments, suggestions, donations please feel free to contact me mrgreen(at)archbang(dot)org

#2 2014-12-22 04:30:34

pablokal
Administrator
Website

Re: Ignite your ArchBang install

Yes, runit is for me the ingredient that makes me like Void so much..success with your explorations

Getting your questions answered here at ArchBang Forums
Please! Always give hardware info, if there is a chance that 's relevant: #lspci -vnn
On Arch(bang) and Openbox: http://stillstup.blogspot.com/

#3 2014-12-22 13:55:42

Mr Green
Administrator

Do not tell anyone but I am working on an runit version of archbang, more on that in the new year wink

Comments, suggestions, donations please feel free to contact me mrgreen(at)archbang(dot)org

#4 2014-12-26 02:24:55

Mr Green
Administrator

I have made quite a bit of progress, can get a working ArchBang using only systemd-udevd. Eudev would be my preferred option but it would mean rebuilding most of the packages Arch now ships with (as they depend on systemd). Looking into Mdev but already found that hotplug is needed and of course Arch no longer ships kernel with it.

It is not my goal to remove systemd from ArchBang it is part of Archlinux all I want to do is give alternatives. Maybe at some point we can have a dual init system to give users the best of both worlds.

#5 2014-12-26 03:58:17

Mr Green
Administrator

Well no luck with eudev yet

==> Finished making: eudev 2.1.1-3 (Fri 26 Dec 09:45:50 UTC 2014)
loading packages...
resolving dependencies...
looking for inter-conflicts...
:: eudev and libsystemd are in conflict (libgudev-1.0.so). Remove libsystemd? [y/N] y
:: eudev and systemd are in conflict (udev). Remove systemd? [y/N] y
error: failed to prepare transaction (could not satisfy dependencies)
:: device-mapper: requires systemd
:: libusb: requires systemd
:: lvm2: requires systemd
:: mesa: requires systemd
:: mkinitcpio: requires systemd
:: netctl: requires systemd
:: pcmciautils: requires systemd
:: polkit: requires systemd
:: procps-ng: requires systemd
:: spacefm: requires systemd
:: systemd-sysvcompat: requires systemd
:: util-linux: requires libsystemd
:: xf86-input-evdev: requires systemd
:: xf86-video-ati: requires systemd
:: xf86-video-modesetting: requires systemd
:: xf86-video-nouveau: requires systemd
:: xf86-video-openchrome: requires systemd
Dependencies for `eudev-systemdcompat' are not met, not building...

#6 2014-12-26 09:01:50

Mr Green
Administrator

Some progress post install then switched too eudev and eudev-systemdcompat

2014_12_26_1419592368_1920x1080_scrot.jpg

#7 2014-12-27 03:51:56

pablokal
Administrator
Website

Very interesting!

Getting your questions answered here at ArchBang Forums
Please! Always give hardware info, if there is a chance that 's relevant: #lspci -vnn
On Arch(bang) and Openbox: http://stillstup.blogspot.com/

#8 2014-12-28 06:17:49

Mr Green
Administrator

It would make perfect sense to me too switch ArchBang to runit scripts (ala Void) and simply keep systemd (for udev or even as a backup init). Still have work too do to make scripts more in line with current Arch and our own configs. Leave that too the team to decide if it is a viable project.

#9 2014-12-28 08:44:56

Mr Green
Administrator

Uploading x86_64 test version, rough at the moment.... installer should work but please treat as testing. So under a Virtual Machine please....

https://sourceforge.net/projects/archba … ang_runit/

#10 2014-12-28 15:47:06

replabrobin

Works fine for me. I notice this uses systemd for udev, but your previous shows eudev. Is it just too difficult to get rid of systemd? That is exactly one of the issues the systemd haters mention; systemd is too tightly coupled.

#11 2014-12-29 03:39:45

Mr Green
Administrator

Eudev does take quite a bit of work too install (will get around too writing a howto at some point). Arch is based on systemd so removing it is very difficult. ArchBang-Runit simply uses systemd-udev (and a couple of required libraries via eudev-systemdcompat). Rest could be removed post install. Thing is when packages that require systemd or need it then it may very well may break system.

Should have put a note on my screenshot, it of course post install and at that point I removed systemd. (done)

#12 2014-12-29 09:30:39

joji

After a couple of hours of working/playing with this iso (frugal install) no big problems.Everything works as expected.
Except for wireless. Is wireless available? How to enable?

So only one word : thank you very much.

#13 2014-12-29 10:14:23

Mr Green
Administrator

connman is included and should connect wired read arch wiki regarding setting up wireless

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Connman

If you want to add a gui way of controlling connections then I suggest cmst (in Aur)

Network Manager works (wired) not tested wireless yet

#14 2014-12-29 10:33:02

Mr Green
Administrator

Two problems I need too address:

1) Currently ttys are linked too agetty-generic
2) A way of creating pacman-keys at boot time, using rc.local at the moment...

#15 2014-12-29 12:26:04

joji

Mr Green wrote:

connman is included and should connect wired read arch wiki regarding setting up wireless

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Connman

If you want to add a gui way of controlling connections then I suggest cmst (in Aur)

Network Manager works (wired) not tested wireless yet

Thank you for prompt reaction and good advice.

connmanctl> scan wifi
Error /net/connman/technology/wifi: No  carrier

Any comment?

Have no problem with 'bin/wifiwrap' in previous RC isos.

Thank you for kind attention.

#16 2014-12-29 13:43:37

Mr Green
Administrator

I may need to fire up live ISO to test then I can respond,,,

#17 2014-12-30 05:56:16

Mr Green
Administrator

Looks like you were right connections via wireless do not work and have noticed power options are failing. Might need something to replace polkit or something else. Will have to do more testing and see if I can resolve the problem. It may well be that halt,shutdown,reboot etc in ignite are not up to date.

If I can install busybox maybe that would be an easier way to go.....

#18 2014-12-30 11:54:29

Mr Green
Administrator

Am a little disappointed at ignite, under a vm power options work if a little slow. Do like rc.conf as it gave me an easy way to add services at boot (would like to keep that feature).....Might try running runit-init (Neale version) it uses busybox which comes with runit. Going to need time to get it set up and working then I will try building another iso.

Consider my version unstable....

Keep you posted... ;-)

#19 2015-01-01 05:13:40

Mr Green
Administrator

Runit-init works up too starting X then I have no keyboard or mouse, this was the same issue I had last time I tried. A problem related to scripts installing too /sbin i managed to fix and now I do have power options. At this point I am looking to write my own init script, blending both runit-init and ignite.

Busybox does have one advantage it already comes with an init built in (runit) meaning that I do not need that extra aur package. If I could get ignite stage scripts working with it would be cool.

At this point I do not need or want to remove systemd, simply use udev. Eudev does work but takes quite a bit of effort to set up, still as yet got mdev working....

Board footer