You are not logged in.

#1 2014-09-12 06:15:52

kaqqao

Is there was way to set window position dynamically

I don't expect this is possible, but here goes... Can I somehow dynamically set window positioning in Openbox by window title or something?
Example: Someone sends me a message on Google Hangouts. Its window opens, I start typing back. A new message arrives from someone else, the new window opens exactly over my existing one. If I could at least randomize the positioning, it would solve my issue, but actual smart calculation would be better... Is there a way to achieve anything like this? If not in OB, can any another WM handle this?

#2 2014-09-12 09:22:41

dragonauta
Website

Re: Is there was way to set window position dynamically

Hi kaqqao.
I think moving windows could be done with "xprop" command, BUT
Are Google Hangouts "independant" windows?
I mean, do you have a new browser window with every conversation?
Or G.H. are embeded windows inside the browser?

me
"Politicians and diapers need to be changed often ... and for the same reasons."

#3 2014-09-12 10:27:35

xtremyst

There's a package called tile-windows that might do what you're asking, I haven't used it myself so I can only hope it will suit you.
Also i found a thread on Arch forum where someone made a script for tiling windows on openbox. You can see more info here: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=119020
Last but not least there's the poor man's tiling window manager which, according to it's maker, is "Basically a simple python script which does tiling on any windowmanager (Perfectly on pekwm and openbox. Partly on compiz due to the fact that compiz says it has a single desktop even if there are 4 virtual desktops, which means all the windows you have will be tiled). "
I hope one of these will work for you.

#4 2014-09-12 10:30:01

xtremyst

I just read dragonauta's post and he's right, it's important if the windows are indipendent.

#5 2014-09-15 04:13:29

kaqqao

Well, with the plugin installed, Hangouts window will remain even if Chrome main window is closed, so it is independent in that regard... but Chrome process is still running to make this happen, and it does share the name with the main window but has a different class... not sure if that is enough or not, but at least tile-windows seems capable of selecting by class. Will experiment.
And thanks a bunch for the cool clues! Even if I end up doing nothing, I'm sure I'll have fun experimenting smile

Last edited by kaqqao (2014-09-15 04:21:49)

Board footer