You are not logged in.

#1 2014-08-17 08:10:23

dragonauta
Website

Linux Sucks

Just wanted to share this video from Bryan Lunduke.
Enjoyed all 45 minutes... I mostly agree whit him.

http://youtu.be/5pOxlazS3zs

me
"Politicians and diapers need to be changed often ... and for the same reasons."

#2 2014-08-23 15:25:24

pablokal
Administrator
Website

Re: Linux Sucks

Nice, thanks for sharing; indeed the fact that we or better some of us  are open to (self)criticism, is the most hopeful aspect of the Linux community.
I would have made a quite different list about what I don't like about Linux though...what he did mention what quite predictable or for me not relevant/important.

Getting your questions answered here at ArchBang Forums
Please! Always give hardware info, if there is a chance that 's relevant: #lspci -vnn
On Arch(bang) and Openbox: http://stillstup.blogspot.com/

#3 2014-08-24 10:44:59

scjet

thanks for this, but

I tried to skim through it, but as of yet, I noticed he didn't even mention the part where "systemd" has been basicaslly "forced" upon ALL Linux user's, and their distro's now. ?
...or sorry, maybe I missed it?

But I do agree, that Linux, sadly, does have the lion's share of ego"testical" programmers, and developers,...

[Update]: ...near the end of the video, where he shows the timeline of Arch's popularity going down, approx a year or 2 ago, that's the same time that systemD'uh came in.  -and that part i totally agree with.

It's fairly obvious that Debian will always remain "King" of the Linux Distro's.

Last edited by scjet (2014-08-24 23:04:27)

#4 2014-08-24 22:55:38

scjet

ok, finally was able to watch the whole thing from beginning to end, I must admit I mostly agree wit him, but I would have included a couple other more-or-less, "bad" forks, namely when Debian/Ubuntu forked ffmpeg a couple years ago. Not only did that NOT work out well, but the original ffmpeg is even more stable and uptodate than ever before.
and now, there's talk within Debian of bringing back "ffmeg" - which is basically Debian admitting they were wrong.
Then again, maybe the fork became a rallying cry for the original ffmeg developer(s).?

...it all comes out in the wash cycle... wink

#5 2014-08-25 06:42:16

kaqqao

I never liked these "forking is evil" type of talks... Isn't one point of open source to *not* have to be in line with anyone if you don't want to? I mean, how and why would Mint guys have to align their user-centric efforts with Gnome's user-hostile philosophy? Half of Mint team's efforts were in *undoing* what the Gnome team did! So what, if not fork, where they supposed to do? For me, it's uniformity that's evil, not forking... even when overdone.

Last edited by kaqqao (2014-08-25 06:43:13)

#6 2014-08-25 16:06:40

scjet

.... it depends on the type of forking.
Linux software-app coding/forking at the more or less higher/harmless level, is one thing,
but we also can not have every motherboard manuf,... running around with thousands of different hardware/frimware forks, 'cause if that happened the Desktop, Laptop, ..., in fact ALL, would become dead overnight.
Some honourable "standards" therefore, do indeed, need to be kept in place, especially, "enforced"-somewhat too, at these lower-levels, which also helps to make it a level playing field.  -can't build a house without a foundation.

"UEFI" implementations across manufacturers is a perfect example of kaos, at times. -Instead, UEFI should've been an eezzy-peezy install, standardized,  just like legacy/MBR has been for well over 30 years.  M$ obviously tried to throw a wrench in it with SecureBoot, but we'll see.
anyway, UEFI across mainboards is slowly getting more stable/even though.

Another example is "forced" forks/implementations, like systemd, and no, we don't really have an easy "choice" now do we? . It's not that systemd is bad at all, it's the fact that they basically "closed" the doors on any other init's,..,?   and there are many other examples, but,

everbody "fork's",  Linux was built on it (aka GNU ?), , but some, make it a better User-experience than others', and some "forks" are more (hiddenly)evil than others'.
wink

Last edited by scjet (2014-08-25 16:53:59)

#7 2014-08-26 09:43:50

kaqqao

Well, yeah, but this dude only talked about stuff like Gnome and WebKit, and Gnome is a prime example of something that should have been forked. If he was talking about low-level subjects, I'd very likely agree with him.

Board footer