You are not logged in.

#1 2014-06-29 04:23:24

Mr Green
Administrator

Vs

Comments, suggestions please feel free to contact me mrgreen(at)archbang(dot)org

#2 2014-06-29 08:54:43

moravec
Website

Re: Vs

Interesting.  They talk about archbang dying, but I guess I don't see that.  It seems that the activity on the forum is maybe a little less but pretty constant.  I notice that it has dropped quite a bit in rankings at distrowatch but that can probably be attributed to no announcements when new releases come out.  I think that it would be a good thing to start announcing new releases again just to let people know that archbang is still active.

ex Distro Junkie, Archbang addict

#3 2014-06-29 09:52:05

Mr Green
Administrator

We are a small team and distro, when we have something more stable and qt version has settled down a bit then yes maybe we should announce it. For now I have a lot of work to do ;-)

Comments, suggestions please feel free to contact me mrgreen(at)archbang(dot)org

#4 2014-06-29 13:01:14

pjhalsli

I also tried to clarify some things for the gang at #. But I'm the first to admit that I thought so myself a couple of weeks ago when the "slight disagreement" with artoo was happening. I'm over at manjaro all the time. If you guys never been there manjaro forum is almost like google and personally I like the whole vibe over there. But there's been probs there too, but now it's all good again. Anywas I just wanted to say something. I love Archbang, true love, so I reallly really hope that everything is as good as you guys are saying. And in these times when Arch is becoming more and more popular we need a distro like Archbang. Okay Antergos is also a good alternative. But the pure speed of AB is mindblowing and there's no other distro that can match it so....

Keep up the good work and thank you so much for the time and effort you put into this little tease smile

Too old to know better
Still too young to care

#5 2014-06-29 13:20:20

Mr Green
Administrator

Would like to make ArchBang even faster and lighter, would mean stripping out the heavy apps but live you only really need a terminal and a browser. File managers are ok but live they do not really make much sense. Pacman is a very powerful tool so anything that is missing can easily be loaded. Have not added any tool for aur simply as it would mean shipping with base-devel.

#6 2014-06-29 15:29:26

pjhalsli

Terminal and a light browser lol Sounds real good to me smile

Too old to know better
Still too young to care

#7 2014-06-30 04:18:46

xtremyst

A month ago, I was thinking about the "push" that this distro would get if it went systemd-free.
Archbang is a great distro, not only for people who want to try Arch and learn more about it
but also for Arch users who don't have enough time to reinstall their Arch piece-by-piece.
There are also a lot of people in Arch who want to go systemd-free and I truly believe that
they would be very very happy to have an ISO that would bring all the needed pieces together and
set up such a system in no time. I really hope that one day we'll have that, unfortunately i don't have enough experience
to help as much as I'd like to hmm...

#8 2014-06-30 07:09:59

MALsPa

In my case, I might not have ever tried ArchBang if I knew that it was "systemd-free" because at the time I was wanting something that was as close to Arch as possible, but with a quicker, easier installation.

Pretty good comments in the thread over there at the CrunchBang forums. I don't see why it has to be "ArchBang or CrunchBang" in the first place; both are great, and both have come in handy here. I'd rather take advantage of what's out there and use what's best for a particular situation instead of getting into whether one distro is "better" than another.

#9 2014-06-30 08:48:18

pjhalsli

@ MALsPa
Right?

But there will always be fanboys! " I am a smart one and because I'm using this distro it means it's the best one" wink It's just plain stupidity.
There's a reason why people leaves Windows. In Linux you have many choices. You are free to do what you want. Some people like the mother and other prefer the daughter. lol

I've noticed as I got older I want a lighter and lighter system. I don't use all the stuff that's preinstalled anyway. I'm into the idea with just a terminal and a browser. If you choose to install it then you also have the time to install a fm and a couple of programs smile
PEACE!

Too old to know better
Still too young to care

Board footer