You are not logged in.

#1 2014-05-30 15:20:21

pablokal
Administrator
Website

Is QT a way to get away from big company Involvement?

Read what Ignorant Guru writes about it: http://igurublog.wordpress.com/2014/01/ … the-world/

Meanwhile, Linux developers are flocking to Qt. Yet it should be noted that as soon as Digia aquired Nokia’s Qt, they pledged to become Google’s bitch everlasting. Today, they’re very excited about Chromium. They are controlled by large corporations who make all the decisions and decide the directions. Where do you think that will lead? Why do you think Google didn’t buy Qt themselves? Short of cash? Why use a pawn like Digia?

To me, all of this powerful corporate drive to support ‘cross-platform’ development is merely a game to turn Linux into Windows – to make it so it doesn’t matter what you run, you’re still running a Google product. Google is the new Microsoft. It amazes me how many Linux users think Google is their friend. The Linux community has really become nothing short of stupid, absorbing corporate press releases like populations absorb propaganda. They can’t see even the most obvious attacks, and give their full support to their own demise.

Read more

Getting your questions answered here at ArchBang Forums
Please! Always give hardware info, if there is a chance that 's relevant: #lspci -vnn
On Arch(bang) and Openbox: http://stillstup.blogspot.com/

#2 2014-05-30 23:32:14

artoo
Website

Re: Is QT a way to get away from big company Involvement?

Well, nokia drives qt.
But, coming from windows devel, I can tell you from technical pov, qt framework is nice.
Someting linux was lacking for long time, a rapid development ui framework.
I would consider qt5 a good framework.

#3 2014-05-31 03:10:24

pablokal
Administrator
Website

I have not much to complain about qt applications till now seen from its technical viewpoint.
But the whole systemd discussion for me didn't only center on its technical choices and dangers that come with that but also on the direction of Linux as a commons, a shared public space in which each according to his possibilities worked together to create something, a digital infrastructure, that would be independent of big corporation interests and marketing plans.
This all now seems  an enormous self-delusion to me.
I remember that Irca form these forums went to OpenBSD. Maybe that is the way to go too? I don't know for the moment.
I'm truly stunned by the revelations done by IgnorantGuru. I find it hard to take that I did miss the bigger picture for so long.
I read" the Circle", by Dave Eggers  some time ago. And I feel like one of those naive employees of the Corporation who only want to see the positive side of things, because they want the world to be positive.

Getting your questions answered here at ArchBang Forums
Please! Always give hardware info, if there is a chance that 's relevant: #lspci -vnn
On Arch(bang) and Openbox: http://stillstup.blogspot.com/

#4 2014-05-31 05:55:00

handy

I agree with you pablokal.

What are the options that are left to us, the management of GNU/Linux upstream seems to be mostly run by corporate stooges.

When I left Arch after using it for years, due to the attitude of some of those in positions of power there (I wasn't involved in the systemd fight but left due to it). I went to PC-BSD for a while (nice place but it wasn't rolling release) then I found Manjaro which suited me as I could use it as though it was Arch & build my own system with it, even though it was fully systemd before Arch was.

I told myself I'll be broad minded & give systemd a good run & check it out. Systemd works fine in Manjaro, & though it isn't as simple & easy to work with as the BSD style init that Arch used to use, you get used to it (I killed the log files & am happy to use just the journal - which imho is the only part about systemd that I like better than the old Arch way of doing things).

Anyway, I'm not at all happy with what is happening in the IT world at the moment, nor am I happy with where it is heading at a rapid rate.

So I ask myself whether I have to go back to BSD now?

Last edited by handy (2014-05-31 05:56:59)

#5 2014-05-31 06:12:07

xtremyst

Ι've been playing with freebsd these last few months and I'm quite pleased with it. Built it the way archbang was when i first tried it a couple of years ago.
However I'm not sure if I would ever use it as my one and only OS.
Maybe i need some more time to get used to it and learn it... Anyway I find it hard to see freebsd as a replacement of gnu/linux mostly because of the hardware support issues.
So I think we're stuck here, trying to find what's going on in behind some closed doors and struggling to protect our selves and the whole free/open software idea..

Last edited by xtremyst (2014-05-31 06:13:50)

#6 2014-05-31 08:02:20

Mr Green
Administrator

Very tempted to try Salix, could live with Mint for day to day stuff but I would soon get bored.

Comments, suggestions please feel free to contact me mrgreen(at)archbang(dot)org

#7 2014-05-31 09:21:25

scjet

5 years ago, or more, I thought that the sky's the limit for Linux, in some ways i still do.
Microsoft was the only threat, back then, But now, Google and IBM/Redhat, make Microsoft look like Little Orphan Annie.
BSD has for the most part been problematic, with new hardware.
I'm into mulimedia, so I obviously depend on Linux moreso, then I do on BSD,  but I still like flip-flopping between them.

I fear for Linux, and when heavy-hitters, like "Theodore Ts’o,"-(Kernel-developer/ext4-Maintainer...) start sounding the "alarms",
then it gets harder to ignore.

Last edited by scjet (2014-05-31 09:24:21)

Board footer