You are not logged in.

#1 2014-05-09 10:51:53

systmkor

ArchBang/Distro Development Tools & Process

I was wondering what tools are used for developing the archbang OS from arch. In addition to this what is the general process of constructing the Distro from arch? I ask because I am curious if there is a possible way of stream lining distro development.

#2 2014-05-09 11:15:14

Mr Green
Administrator

Re: ArchBang/Distro Development Tools & Process

We use archiso package which contains scripts for building isos. Have a github repo for source files you can look at.

https://github.com/mrgreen3/archbang

If you have any other questions then feel free to ask

Comments, suggestions please feel free to contact me mrgreen(at)archbang(dot)org

#3 2014-05-10 12:52:20

systmkor

Thanks. I'll go check that out.

However to get to the heart of what I am curious about is an overview of distro development. I am curious if there is a way to develop distro's in chunks/ as a 'pipeline' of distro development. A friend of mine and I are thinking about creating hardened Arch similar to hardened Gentoo. Hopefully this would be like pre-set up 'middleware' distro that has specified a file system that is full disk encrypted, has PaX and grsecurity already working, etc. This way possibly distros like ArchBang could focus on more of the user experience rather than core system features.

#4 2014-05-10 16:42:35

scjet

The "User" experience in Linux is already too invisible, (opinionated at worst), but alternative, and optional security is always welcome, for all concerned.
Archbang = Arch+Openbox, nothing more, nothing less.
You already have what you need, to develop arch-wise,  for your "middleware" security thingy, -help yourself, as you may have already freely found out about ?

(btw) Does any of this pay($) anything ?, just checkin', there is a time limit.
thanks.
wink

Last edited by scjet (2014-05-10 16:53:15)

#5 2014-05-10 17:27:27

systmkor

Agreed that Linux is very opinionated. I would have to disagree with you that Linux is already too invisible [note: that isn't to say that I think only a few should know about programming/computers, personally I feel that it should be apart of any educational curriculum at least in some limited manner]. For example, I don't think engineers in the car industry feel that cars are being held back because currently cars are making the thermodynamics and mechanics of the combustion engine hidden from the end user.

From my naive perspective it seems that Distributions of Linux (e.g. like ArchBang) are doing a lot of duplicated effort at least at a systems level of a Linux Distro. It apears that all modern Distros are trying to do everything themselves. Not only concerned with all of the inner workings of Linux OS (e.g. filesystems, proper core configurations, full disk encryption, proper security, etc.) but working on a comprehensive user experience.

Generally people who are strong in one area aren't in the other. For example let's say there are a tens of spinoff Distros based on arch. Instead of each trying to get the core system of their Distro correct and maintaining it. It would seem that it would be advantageous for these Distros to pull from a "middle distro". This "middleware" would build off of Arch, adding a robust (emphasis on security) and well configured bases for others to build upon. This would allow for others to build off of it and focus on user experience

scjet wrote:

(btw) Does any of this pay($) anything ?, just checkin', there is a time limit.
thanks.

I have no idea what the quote above is supposed to mean.

#6 2014-05-11 01:01:38

Mr Green
Administrator

Spinoffs are based off archiso scripts that were designed for building arch install media. Spin offs have different ideas on what the user experience should be. Archbang was based off crunchbang. We try hard to keep iso light (not that it needs to be).

Middleware is an interesting idea, one I would like to know your thoughts on. Generally we are a small fish in a large pond.

We do lack encryption and uefi support, maybe in the near future that will change.

Comments, suggestions please feel free to contact me mrgreen(at)archbang(dot)org

#7 2014-05-11 05:03:08

pablokal
Administrator
Website

From my naive perspective it seems that Distributions of Linux (e.g. like ArchBang) are doing a lot of duplicated effort at least at a systems level of a Linux Distro. It apears that all modern Distros are trying to do everything themselves.

The good thing is that many people know a  lot of the build of the system, also of the core and when there are developments that are debatable like the sudden inclusion and spread of systemd  all over that core and even applications, more people have doubts and will try to find alternatives or replacements.
So I think that 'ecologically' speaking this diversity and double work on Linux core system will make Linux more resistant against failures or dead ends that maybe only become more evident in the long run. So for reasons of strength this pluralism is important.
That said your plan may also be or become part of that pluralism. But I think your aim should be an enhancement not an replacement of certain efforts.

Getting your questions answered here at ArchBang Forums
Please! Always give hardware info, if there is a chance that 's relevant: #lspci -vnn
On Arch(bang) and Openbox: http://stillstup.blogspot.com/

#8 2014-05-11 05:32:38

artoo
Website

From my naive perspective it seems that Distributions of Linux (e.g. like ArchBang) are doing a lot of duplicated effort at least at a systems level of a Linux Distro. It apears that all modern Distros are trying to do everything themselves.

This is in some respect right.
But it is politics behind the drive of reinventing the wheel.

Take ubuntu and their mir project. Its derivative kubuntu didn't go along with mir, and canonical cancelled kubuntu support. A new sponsor stepped in, in this case the son of a sausage king, and recruited lots of kde devs.

As for Arch, arch went systemd, and in this respect you are right, the other spin offs adopted systemd too. And alternative projects, which would run on any arch based distro, are fractured. There is no joint effort.

Take gentoo, since sabayon went systemd, you can't simply do emerge anymore safely on sabayon system.

The octupus claimed to have reinvented the wheel, and other wheel manufacturers don't joint efforts to push back the octupus.

It is very good linux can start with many different inits, but the octupus won't stop speading its tentacles.

Board footer