3     Debian     1908<
4     Mageia     1587>
5     Fedora     1415>
6     openSUSE     1351>
7     PCLinuxOS     1094=
8     Manjaro     979<
9     Arch  961>

over the last  6 month period.
Archbang is number 58; I can't remember us being so low ranked.

Getting your questions answered here at ArchBang Forums
Please! Always give hardware info, if there is a chance that 's relevant: #lspci -vnn
On Arch(bang) and Openbox: http://stillstup.blogspot.com/

#2 2014-02-05 22:02:44

Mr Green
Administrator

Re: Manjaro beats Arch at Distrowatch ranking

You have to remember these distros above have much bigger teams working on them. Am surprised how hight Manjaro is, but then you get a graphical interface out of the box.

Comments, suggestions please feel free to contact me mrgreen(at)archbang(dot)org

#3 2014-02-06 04:04:45

pablokal
Administrator
Website

I think there is another explanation; distrowatch distro exploration will be used mostly used by people discovering the world of Linux. Archbang is mostly used by more experienced Linux and even Arch users, who want to quickly fix a new Arch install and like openbox.

Please! Always give hardware info, if there is a chance that 's relevant: #lspci -vnn

#4 2014-02-06 05:56:39

handy

Its even more complicated than that.

People use scripts to push their favoured distro, which causes DW, when they notice it, to zero that distros count each day, which causes that particular distros rank to plummet.

People who don't like a distro, use scripts to push their disliked distro to cause DW to zero the distros count each day, which does the same thing = plummet.

A lot of shit happens at DW, hopefully the DW admins will sort out a way around this stuff.

Last edited by handy (2014-02-06 05:58:19)

#5 2014-02-06 09:49:38

MALsPa

Kinda weird, but take a look at the page hit rankings over the 30-day data span. In that one, I see Manjaro way down at #74.

I don't take those rankings seriously, though. It is what it is.

#6 2014-02-06 17:09:56

pablokal
Administrator
Website

Thanks, Handy for letting us know.
Shocking to hear there is so much envy and bad tricks going round.

#7 2014-02-06 18:39:11

handy

That strange numbers with Manjaro are due to an enemy who has been using a script on Manjaro to push up the numbers so that the DW guy(s) would zero Manjaro's count each day. It dropped Manjaro way down the list for a while. We've been communicating with DW admin to come up with a system that prevents this from happening. I don't know just exactly what they are doing over there at this stage. But it is certainly an improvement.

Last edited by handy (2014-02-06 18:41:37)

#8 2014-02-07 11:08:50

scjet

...it's the same as Ubuntu/Mint and Debian, aka DistroWatches popularity contests. I always thought Manjaro was gonna be the "ubumtu" of arch -so to speak, and it is.
Finally, Arch-upstream has a new purpose to try to be "nice" again. -right back at them -good !

Manjaro is a great arch distro, most especially for ppl new to linux, when Manj works, it works really well.
Unfortunately,  Manjaro's "forums", on the other hand, can be a roller-coaster ride from He__, somewhere between ubuntu and arch, if you get gang-banged in the wrong arguement ?

Archbang, is still the best "Forum", in regards to being helpful, courteous, patient, and understanding.   Trust me, I should've been booted outta here a long time ago.
wink

Last edited by scjet (2014-02-07 11:27:44)

#9 2014-02-07 16:00:22

handy

The Manjaro wiki & forum are meant to be helpful for users that are new to GNU/Linux. Neither are perfect & never will be, as more new users are attracted talent comes that helps to fill in the gaps, as there is only so much that the dedicated volunteers that exist can do.

Case in point, we not too long ago had a user volunteer to do the documentation, he has prior experience in this area & takes no shortcuts. At the time of his arrival we REALLY needed him, as it takes a big load of others that don't really want to do that job & have other things that they'd much rather be doing.

As far as "gang banged in an argument" goes scjet. We try to keep the place welcoming, friendly to all, especially new to GNU/Linux users (meaning we expect to hear the same old questions over & over again from people that haven't learned how to search for themselves yet - or are just too lazy to).

The Off Topic section of the forum is the most likely place (doesn't happen that often) for things to perhaps start to get personal, & when it does someone from the support team or a moderator will usually step in to settle that stuff down or close the thread if need be.

It is a relatively new, friendly, comfortable technical support forum, the Off Topic stuff is there as a bonus for the community, it is not there to cause the team to have to be watching it like hawks & then having to gentle emotionally reactive people back into seeing the world through a more objective set of lenses. Though that stuff is done too. smile

Board footer