You are not logged in.

#1 2013-06-03 06:40:35

andrekp

Warning! Binaries move to /usr/bin requiring update intervention

Please use this thread to discuss any issues relating too https://www.archlinux.org/news/binaries … ervention/

referring to the arch move of  binaries to /usr/bin requiring update intervention (see http://bbs.archbang.org/viewtopic.php?id=4439 )

When I run the first command, nothing happens.  The system runs something, but nothing appears to be happening.  A few minutes later, the command promt returns.  There is no screen output, and the prompt is left in an unusable state.   OK....

The second command errors with a syntax error.

The third commend simply produces no output.

I suspect this is not right.

(I am assuming that SINCE I DO have binaries in the /bin /sbin and /usr/sbin directories, that these will be part of the move, and that these should have come up in one of the above searches.  Do I even get what's going on here?  What should I expect from the three commands and what is actually to be done here?)

Edit by Mr Green

Last edited by andrekp (2013-06-03 06:41:41)

#2 2013-06-03 06:53:11

oliver
Administrator

Re: Warning! Binaries move to /usr/bin requiring update intervention

By 'the first command' you mean this one?

pacman -Qqo /bin /sbin /usr/sbin | pacman -Qm -

No output is what you want - it means you have nothing installed in /bin /sbin or /usr/sbin that was installed by something other than pacman

Can you expand upon 'the prompt is left in an unusable state'?  You should have the prompt returned back as usual

Ideally, if you could cut-n-paste the output that would be best

#3 2013-06-03 07:16:32

andrekp

Thanks Oliver.

What happens is that my prompt returns, but no inputted text is seen on LXTerminal.  It looks normal, but if I type in a command, none of my typing appears on screen.  So I just blindly exited out and restarted the LXTerminal.  A second attempt gave the same result.  It's like it tweaks some environmental variable or something.  No actual harm seems to be done, it's just odd.

Haven't tried it on a TTY, so I don't know if it would be different there.

Regarding the syntax error on the second command...Doh.  I presume it's just because I didn't put in an unofficial repo.  Assuming AUR isn't an "unofficial repo" I probably don't need to even run that because I've not installed anything from outside of Arch's repos.

And the third command returning nothing is as expected as well, I imagine?

So getting nothing on the first and third commands is normal, and not running the second one because I've never installed anything odd is OK...

Well then, I'm still confused about the point of all this.  I have lots of stuff in those directories that apparently is unaffected by this change...  What exactly is going on in this change?

#4 2013-06-03 07:30:51

oliver
Administrator

What is going on is you (not necessarily you) have binaries in /bin,  /sbin,  /usr/sbin and /usr/bin.  The Arch dev team want to simplify this so everything goes in /usr/bin.  In order to accomplish this, they're moving all the binaries that were in /usr/sbin, /bin and /sbin to /usr/bin and removing the directories.  For backwards compatibility though, there will be symbolic links in place from /bin to /usr/bin and so on.

One one hand it's fixing something that wasn't really "broken" but on the other hand it's a throwback that is not really needed anymore.

I have no idea what could cause your issues... are you able to run each half of that first command?
pacman -Qqo /bin /sbin /usr/sbin
pacman -Qm
(you do need to drop the dash from the end of "pacman -Qm -" if it's not piped)

#5 2013-06-03 07:32:58

dragonauta
Website

third  command:

paclist <repo> | awk ' { print $1 } ' | pacman -Ql - | grep ' /s\?bin/\| /usr/sbin/'

you should run if you have unofficial repos, like archlinuxfr for installing yaourt
Also, command has some extra spaces that produces no output.

This is correct

paclist <your-unofficial-repo> | awk '{ print $1 }' | pacman -Ql - | grep '/s\?bin/\|/usr/sbin/'

What we have to do with NetworkManager, in example?
It has no update and is still inside and /usr/sbin

me
"Politicians and diapers need to be changed often ... and for the same reasons."

#6 2013-06-03 07:38:50

andrekp

Yes.  First part of command gives

bash
coreutils
fuse
inetutils
net-tools
sed
shadow
sysvinit-tools
tar
util-linux
dhclient
dhcpcd
e2fsprogs
fuse
glibc
iproute2
kmod
net-tools
shadow
systemd
systemd-sysvcompat
sysvinit-tools
util-linux
cryptsetup
device-mapper
dhclient
dhcpcd
e2fsprogs
filesystem
gconf
glibc
iproute2
libatasmart
libsasl
lsof
lvm2
modemmanager
networkmanager
pm-utils
ppp
rtmpdump
shadow
udisks2
usbmuxd
util-linux
v4l-utils
wpa_supplicant
zvbi

Second part gives:

broadcom-wl 5.100.82.112-9
cacheclean 2.1-5
convertall 0.5.2-2
dmenu-xft 4.5-1
fbxkb 0.6-2
gnomish-dark-theme 20130502-2
hsqldb-java 1:1.8.0.10-2
obkey-git 20121201-1
obmenu-generator 0.54-1
openbox-madpablo-theme 20100528-1
openbox-menu 0.3.6.8-1
packer 20121023-1
perl-linux-desktopfiles 0.07-1
sgfxi 4.10.72-10
tint2-svn 652-1
ttf-ms-fonts 2.0-10
ttf-vista-fonts 1-6
xcompmgr-dana 20091025-4

Piped together, they yield no output.  Not sure if that's expected or not.

What's confusing to me is that I know that what you explained is the goal here.  But my command runs yield no output, yet the deprecated directories are full of programs.  ???

What I would have expected is the commands to give a list of programs found in those directories that I could then use to manually do "mv /bin/[program] /usr/bin/[program].

But I take it that none of the programs found in the above commands, run separately, are affected by this change, or...?

Last edited by andrekp (2013-06-03 07:44:25)

#7 2013-06-03 07:43:33

pablokal
Administrator
Website

@Mr Green: Update warnings is a moderators only segment of the forums.

Getting your questions answered here at ArchBang Forums
Please! Always give hardware info, if there is a chance that 's relevant: #lspci -vnn
On Arch(bang) and Openbox: http://stillstup.blogspot.com/

#8 2013-06-03 07:53:32

oliver
Administrator

andrekp wrote:

It's not unexpected :-)  If you look at the output of the second part of the first command, it's all stuff from AUR that pacman has no control over.  So, to simplify things, the first command (in full) is looking for AUR apps that have placed binaries in bin directories other than /usr/bin and telling you you need to fix it.

If there's no output, it's good but if your terminal does not respond as expected afterwards I'd be concerned that the results are not accurate.  For me, there was one result and I chose to uninstall it rather than deal with the issue

Don't worry that those dirs are full of stuff - pacman will take care of it if it was installed from the official Arch repos (not AUR)

#9 2013-06-03 08:44:36

dragonauta
Website

Ok, I don't know if this should be under "update warning".

I updated all packages, ran instructions as per this entry: https://www.archlinux.org/news/binaries … ervention/
rebooted and got error /sbin/init could not be loaded (don't remember exact message)

Started with AB iso, chrooted into my disk and edited /usr/lib/initcpio/init (it's an ash script),
changed line:

init=/sbin/init

to

init=/usr/bin/init

then I ran

mkinitcpio -p linux

rebooted and got it working.

Last edited by dragonauta (2013-06-03 08:45:32)

me
"Politicians and diapers need to be changed often ... and for the same reasons."

#10 2013-06-03 10:50:37

Mr Green
Administrator

@pablokal really defeats the point of having an update warnings section if no one can see it.

Comments, suggestions please feel free to contact me mrgreen(at)archbang(dot)org

#11 2013-06-03 10:56:36

dragonauta
Website

@MrGreen, anyone can see Update Warnings section...
Common users can't post into it.
I can cause I'm newest mod (maybe I shouldn't post my problems on that section, feel free to remove them)

me

#12 2013-06-03 10:58:12

Mr Green
Administrator

which NetworkManager
/usr/bin/NetworkManager

Aur packages that we ship with might cause a problem but not found an issue yet. Do not forget /bin /sbin are symlinked to /usr/{bin|sbin} during update.

Edit just uploaded updated isos to reflect recent changes.... do not really want to make a habit of doing emergency builds but it would have caused problems further down the line.

Just do not tell scjet smile

Comments, suggestions please feel free to contact me mrgreen(at)archbang(dot)org

#13 2013-06-03 11:33:33

andrekp

oliver wrote:
andrekp wrote:

It's not unexpected :-)  If you look at the output of the second part of the first command, it's all stuff from AUR that pacman has no control over.  So, to simplify things, the first command (in full) is looking for AUR apps that have placed binaries in bin directories other than /usr/bin and telling you you need to fix it.

If there's no output, it's good but if your terminal does not respond as expected afterwards I'd be concerned that the results are not accurate.  For me, there was one result and I chose to uninstall it rather than deal with the issue

Don't worry that those dirs are full of stuff - pacman will take care of it if it was installed from the official Arch repos (not AUR)

Ahhhh.  So the changes are actually made DURING the update.  In theory, if I properly ran the commands, and got not output - meaning it didn't flag any potential problems for me - then when I ran the actual update, pacman would do the work of moving (or properly symlinking) programs to /usr/bin as per the new standard.

If that's true, then OK.  I was just concerned because I have a bunch of programs still in the other directories (as listed above) that were no flagged by the commands.  I was thinking that it would output a list that WE then had to change by hand.

I'm not too concerned over the lxterminal's unresponsiveness.  I don't think it has anything to do with the command itself.  The command seems to run so far as it takes control for a while, then releases me back at the prompt.  Hmmmmm. 

I just ran the commands on another box with an identical setup on lxterminal from the root account.  No output and lxterminal behaved itself.  I'm guessing that no output is the correct output.  So that means I have nothing I need to deal with before the actual upgrade, right?

(Sorry to be a pest - I hate these seemingly complex Arch upgrades with little apparent purpose or explanation unless you are an arch dev and have been following the dev mailing list for weeks beforehand...)

#14 2013-06-03 11:50:24

Mr Green
Administrator

To clarify these changes have been talked about for quite some time. So at some point the change was put in place, first in testing. This allowed users to 'test' the procedure for update to make sure it worked before hitting main repos. Symlinks are in place to make sure that /bin/<foo> or /sbin/<foo> still work as they should. Only path changes in scripts may have problems but are easy to fix.

I love Allan very much wink

#15 2013-06-03 13:18:27

andrekp

OK... fair enough.  Updated two out of three identical systems with no apparent issues.  (thankfully, my systems are only barely more bloated than the stock install, so there was nothing to do.)

Thanks for the advice, everyone!

(FYI, I'm running the December 2012 install, with fairly minimal changes, but fully up-to-date.  No output from the Arch update commands from the archnews homepage [which caused my confusion - I expected some output!].  No issues at all came up during upgrade while following the arch instructions.)

Oh...and make sure you update your mirrors first.  I've seen that a few users have had problems due to out of date mirrors.

Last edited by andrekp (2013-06-03 13:41:29)

#16 2013-06-03 13:36:04

Mr Green
Administrator

Many users are going to have problems over next few days. One of the things that happened to me on a virtual install using testing was I ended up with a symlink to bash that looked like this

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 4 May 31 20:10 sh -> bash

Could not even chroot in to fix it

#17 2013-06-03 13:51:14

oliver
Administrator

Mr Green wrote:

Many users are going to have problems over next few days. One of the things that happened to me on a virtual install using testing was I ended up with a symlink to bash that looked like this

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 4 May 31 20:10 sh -> bash

Could not even chroot in to fix it

What was the fix?  Boot off CD and mount?

#18 2013-06-03 14:05:06

Mr Green
Administrator

You can mount partition via live cd but I did go much further, guess you could try to force links, did see pacman -r used but as a testing install I reinstalled and ran the new updated instructions.

#19 2013-06-09 00:29:11

barchi

sorry, saw this post here too late, i have posted this originally in FAQs, Tips & Tutorials. Maybe a Mod can delete it there.

Edit by Mr Green Done!

#20 2013-06-09 06:33:03

lebec

All good, I think.

After following your ammended instructions, I watched (with joy thumping in my little heart)
283 packages get upgraded!! yea!!

The message at the end was a warning which I cannot decipher:

warning: /etc/group installed as /etc/group.pacnew
warning: /etc/gshadow installed as /etc/gshadow.pacnew
warning: directory permissions differ on /root/
filesystem: 755  package: 750

Would someone be kind enough to unpick this for me?

1. what is to be done about the differing directory permissions on root?

2. why the discrepant figures: 755/750 at the end of output?

thx,

Last edited by lebec (2013-06-09 06:46:04)

"I have an ocean to drink; therefore there is an ocean."
-Sam Beckett: a pure draught of elegant pessimism.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
ArchBang with 8G Memory and Seagate Hybrid HDD

#21 2013-06-09 07:50:06

Mr Green
Administrator

On a single user system at home you can easily ignore this, but it is pretty easy to just fix it by doing the package update and then changing the permissions to 750
with:

sudo chmod -Rv 750 <filename/directory name>

Shouldn't make any difference in your usage. Just makes it more secure in case someone unauthorized gets access to your computer.

#22 2013-06-09 08:26:45

lebec

Thanks Monsieur Green : 0)

"I have an ocean to drink; therefore there is an ocean."
-Sam Beckett: a pure draught of elegant pessimism.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
ArchBang with 8G Memory and Seagate Hybrid HDD

#23 2013-06-14 12:05:35

mike4ca
Happy (Arch|Manjaro)[B,b]ang User

I upgraded my ManjaroBang today.  Not hard at all.  They created a work around that allowed a normal pacman update.  See http://manjaro.org/2013/06/11/stable-re … atesfixes/.  I know this is the Arch warning, but I wanted to let others know how Manjaro handled it.

Free Software Foundation member 10865

#24 2013-06-14 12:37:48

Mr Green
Administrator

I had the an idea that pacman should warn users of a possible upgrade issue. My thinking is if Arch devs know that a certain upgrade [of system] will cause an issue that requires extra steps. Then pacman should simply produce a warning to user to go check news page etc....

Just an idea nothing more

#25 2013-06-14 14:02:35

oliver
Administrator

Mr Green wrote:

I had the an idea that pacman should warn users of a possible upgrade issue. My thinking is if Arch devs know that a certain upgrade [of system] will cause an issue that requires extra steps. Then pacman should simply produce a warning to user to go check news page etc....

Just an idea nothing more

Isn't that what pacmatic does?

community/pacmatic 20121112-1 [installed]
    A pacman wrapper to avoid bricking your system and such other surprises.

#26 2013-06-14 14:22:19

pablokal
Administrator
Website

Yes, but that misses Mr. Greens argumentation: why should people visit a site or install another application to get notified about necessary steps; I think it is  a great idea and as obvious as can be! That is why it won't be implemented; it isn't cool/elitist enough.

Getting your questions answered here at ArchBang Forums
Please! Always give hardware info, if there is a chance that 's relevant: #lspci -vnn
On Arch(bang) and Openbox: http://stillstup.blogspot.com/

#27 2013-06-15 00:03:48

Mr Green
Administrator

@oliver Interesting it does give loads of information and warnings. Not sure it would stop a user bricking there system. Major system changes do not happen that often, minor breakages due to packages well maybe. More of a concern is things that will stop your system booting. Will run with it for a few days, any objections to adding it to AB?

#28 2013-06-15 03:42:43

Mr Green
Administrator

@oliver possibly look at pacnanny wink

#29 2013-06-15 05:47:42

oliver
Administrator

I used pacmatic for a while but gave up.  I like the name pacnanny.  Sounds like it could also be an insult too - I'll have to check it out

#30 2013-06-15 09:59:41

Mr Green
Administrator

Think its more of the same, pacmatic is bit too long winded... as an old Arch user I never read news page, wiki, or manuals....

#31 2013-06-15 13:25:06

scjet

Mr Green wrote:

as an old Arch user I never read news page, wiki, or manuals....

ahh k, so that explains it.

Gotcha.  wink

#32 2013-06-28 06:26:59

kfx

I'm updating my system after a month sad and I read this news https://www.archlinux.org/news/binaries … ervention/

First query outputs,

grub-common 2.00-1

I think I had chosen not to install any bootloader while installing ArchBang as I it was already installed on my Ubuntu 11.04 (yes, I'm dual-booting). I'm always afraid to play with bootloaders because I've only one laptop and I don't want to lose its boot abilities.

Should I proceed with this ,

[k2@archbang ~]$ sudo pacman -S grub-common
[sudo] password for k2: 
resolving dependencies...
looking for inter-conflicts...
:: grub and grub-common are in conflict. Remove grub-common? [y/N] y
:: grub and grub-bios are in conflict. Remove grub-bios? [y/N] y

Packages (3): grub-bios-2.00-1 [removal]  grub-common-2.00-1 [removal]
              grub-2.00-1

Total Installed Size:   17.35 MiB
Net Upgrade Size:       1.52 MiB

:: Proceed with installation? [Y/n] 

Or I need to do something else? I just want to make sure that I'm doing the right thing. Will it require any other change in grub config? Any input is appreciated. smile

TIA!

#33 2013-06-28 07:35:17

mastis

It was 100% safe for me. It might not be if you have some custom kernels. If you wanna be sure do it like this:
-Take a backup from your grub configs.
-Then make a bootable linux live usb.
-Proceed with installation.
-Check that configs are ok.
-boot
-if problems, boot with live usb and correct the configs. boot again, voila!

Last edited by mastis (2013-06-28 07:38:28)

#34 2013-06-29 12:41:27

kfx

mastis wrote:

It was 100% safe for me. It might not be if you have some custom kernels. If you wanna be sure do it like this:
-Take a backup from your grub configs.
-Then make a bootable linux live usb.
-Proceed with installation.
-Check that configs are ok.
-boot
-if problems, boot with live usb and correct the configs. boot again, voila!

Thanks mastis,

In addition I'll also backup my whole system smile . BTW did you too get grub-common as the output of first query?

#35 2013-07-01 07:56:01

mastis

I'm sorry, i dont remember anymore. It's few weeks when i updated.

#36 2013-07-03 03:35:14

kfx

Thanks mastis,

Update worked fine! smile

#37 2013-08-23 01:52:06

rederik
Website

Hi!

I finally managed to make an update, there were 350 pkgs to install...

i know, too much time passed, but in the last few months I didn't use my home PCs so much... roll

anyway, I followed the steps of the announce, no pkgs reported as "warning", everything ended ok...

After the reboot, I have a grub commandline with a blinking cursor! yikes

And now?
shall I do something like said by dragonauta on post #9?

thanks

In a World without walls and fences, who needs Windows and Gates? ;-)

#38 2013-08-23 04:09:37

scjet

https://www.archlinux.org/news/binaries … ervention/

I'm assuming you did the above first step-by-step, and only then update your system, as it sounds like you did.
afterwards, if you got similar errors as dragonauta, sure follow post #9, you may need an ab boot iso now though to fix up grub ?

Last edited by scjet (2013-08-23 04:10:22)

#39 2013-08-23 05:07:41

rederik
Website

scjet wrote:

https://www.archlinux.org/news/binaries … ervention/

you may need an ab boot iso now though to fix up grub ?

You're right...
after some reboots I realized that there was still grub 0.97 trying to startup, bat the last updates installed grub 2...
I chrooted to repair the grub installation following the archwiki grub article, but got stuck with the "ms-dos style MBR" error....

So I have two options: resize the first partition to leave more room after MBR, as said in the wiki, or install grub in the first partition, that's a deprecated (but faster) solution...

In a World without walls and fences, who needs Windows and Gates? ;-)

#40 2013-08-23 18:34:16

oliver
Administrator

you could try syslinux

Board footer