You are not logged in.

#1 2013-04-14 00:32:27

Mr Green
Administrator

Next Installment of the installers....

One of the biggest problems with ArchBang was that although abinstall allows installation of ArchBang, it quickly gets out of date and might cause problems post update. However it is preferred as you do not need a network connection to install ArchBang. Wanted for some time to create a net installer, it would mean that system is as up to date as possible out of the box. Have starting working on a net based installer for Armchair Linux, do not want to ship it with iso merely wanted to try to see if it is possible and then anything learnt could transfer to ArchBang.

To make the script I am using arch-install-scripts to do all the hard work, difficult part was adding in aur packages but may have resolved that. To make testing easier I am installing to a usb drive (usb-key) and booting on my laptop.

Configuration I hear you cry! Well you are going to have to open a terminal and do some work. All you have to do is look in root-image folder and there you will find all the files that Armchair adds/modifies , edit those to your own needs. You could even add applications you want to packages file or simply install them post install your choice.

Want to take a look

https://github.com/mrgreen3/armchair

Comments, suggestions please feel free to contact me mrgreen(at)archbang(dot)org

#2 2013-04-14 11:19:27

scjet

Re: Next Installment of the installers....

nice work Mr. G, keep it up.

...It looks very promising indeed, and since the old "automated netinstall backbone" , ( called "AIF" of Arch) is now long gone, in favour to a more manually configured "AIS", I'm just very glad someone is picking up the gammet to make a potential true ArchBang (automated) "netinstall" a reality, especially because of things like "systemd", ..., that need to be easily setup for ppl to not worry about...
It's gonna be a "beaaatch", but it will be well worth it, in the long run.
It makes perfect sense anyway, since, imho, Arch already lends itself to being the most bleeding-edge of ALL Linux distro's.
...k, I'll shutup now. wink

Kudos bud.

Last edited by scjet (2013-04-14 11:34:47)

#3 2013-04-14 11:34:45

Mr Green
Administrator

Run the script and you get a usb drive version of armchair ready to go. Aur packages are still causing a problem but hope to solve that soon. Configuration can be done by editing root-image files, or left to post install. Not going to ask users for input, will leave that to the gui girls to figure that out.

The next stage will be in getting script to run from a live iso (more as a host), as script stands it will only run from an Arch based system. Might even be possible to run it from arch installation media.

Focusing my efforts on usb drives for the being, just easier for me to test.

As an added bonus you get firefox, openssh and screen installed all at no extra cost....

Comments, suggestions please feel free to contact me mrgreen(at)archbang(dot)org

#4 2013-04-14 11:37:00

scjet

you gotta build AUR (packer) from scratch, along/during(pre/post) with any Arch - Netinstall - , that's the best way to ensure an all-around up-to-date complete system,
every time.
at some point, depending on your automation levels, you may/or may not have to deal with a "post-install" script, especially these days, with an Archbang-Live-Netinstall ?
But, you did specify "armchair", so maybe this doesn't apply ?
...it doesn't matter whether we talk about armchair, archbang, or whetever, 'cause at some point you'll have to offer a separate Archbang/armchair "LIVE", and/or an Archbang/armchair "Netinstall" separate iso/download. - sort-of.

oops, I guess I didn't "shutup" now.
wink

Last edited by scjet (2013-04-14 12:01:48)

#5 2013-04-14 11:56:38

Mr Green
Administrator

If a user wants packer then they can add it (making sure the required deps are included in package list). Post install well there is a lot less to do being as we are very up to date. One service file I can think of that may need to be removed is pacman-init, it allowed keys to be created during a live iso session. Also network configuration might have to be added, would prefer to use new netctl but again you are free to use network-manager...

Options are endless

#6 2013-04-14 12:06:30

scjet

yes, "armchair"-wise, you're on the right track, and a "live" netinstalled=latest version of armchair -the way you envision it - is a possibility for sure.?
even though I'm not quite sure.

#7 2013-04-14 12:20:34

Mr Green
Administrator

Well I am using armchair as it is simpler, smaller and takes less time to create. No reason why it should not work with ArchBang (with some minor adjustments).

Been wanting/trying to create a net installer for sometime, thought you had beaten me to it smile

As with any project it is still early days.

Could this be the end of live isos?

#8 2013-04-14 14:17:31

pablokal
Administrator
Website

Mr Green and the gui girls

sounds like a new wave band in the eighties.
First revival of machismo after the second feminist wave...

Getting your questions answered here at ArchBang Forums
Please! Always give hardware info, if there is a chance that 's relevant: #lspci -vnn
On Arch(bang) and Openbox: http://stillstup.blogspot.com/

#9 2013-04-14 14:21:15

Mr Green
Administrator

They know who they are wink

#10 2013-04-15 00:41:34

Mr Green
Administrator

Have fixed aur packages install, not over happy with solution but for now it works. Added some extra options to pacstrap to use local pacman cache (reduces time spend downloading) and default mirrorlist. Now have to figure out reducing number of files in root-image directory.

#11 2013-04-16 03:24:16

Mr Green
Administrator

Removed some of the root-image files, /etc/fonts/local.conf, /etc/mkinitcpio.conf [use default], locale.gen [use default]. If someone does need a custom mkinitcpio.conf then just simply add it too root-image/etc.

To change username and password example all you do is edit /root-image/root/customize_root_image.sh

new_user="live" # replace 'live' to your choice
# put your password into double quotes below e.g. -p "gui4girls"
useradd -m -p "" -g users -G "adm,storage,optical,audio,video,network,wheel,power,lp,log" -s /bin/bash ${new_user}

We are now creating a fully installed system so recommend a usb drive of at least 2Gbs

Board footer