You are not logged in.

#1 2013-04-04 15:52:34

snowkeld

Manage Users (gtk) application for any lightweight desktop.

I have been working on a debian spinoff for a couple years, recently i have been learning gtkdialog to fill in some missing software.

live-installer-gtk, installation-setup-gtk, window-manager-editor-gtk, manage-users-gtk (maybe more)

i have completed a stable version of manage-users-gtk and was directed that it could be of use here as well.

download link may change. i will be packaging source packages and debian packages in the near future.

---------

manage-users-gtk depends on gksu, gtkdialog, and usermode

on my system usermode does not work very well, if anyone could help with gtkdialog frontend for changing passwords i can update to not depend on usermode.

the script here is self installing. download and execute with dependencies installed, it will ask you if you would like to install.

script is copied to /usr/bin

a desktop entry (for your menu) is written to /usr/share/applications

if you would like to package this program include a desktop entry.

currently i use:
/usr/share/applications/manage-users-gtk.desktop

[Desktop Entry]
Version=1.0
Name=Manage Users
Exec=manage-users-gtk
Icon=config-users
Terminal=false
Type=Application
Categories=GTK;Settings;System;
StartupNotify=true

Download

Last edited by snowkeld (2013-04-04 15:54:40)

#2 2013-04-05 02:25:35

pablokal
Administrator
Website

Re: Manage Users (gtk) application for any lightweight desktop.

Thanks. Have you offered this to Manjaro Linux too (as they use frontends a lot)?

Getting your questions answered here at ArchBang Forums
Please! Always give hardware info, if there is a chance that 's relevant: #lspci -vnn
On Arch(bang) and Openbox: http://stillstup.blogspot.com/

#3 2013-04-05 03:40:30

snowkeld

nope, still working on it.

actually i made more progress today.

usermode no longer a dependency

does not require gksu, now looks for gksu kdesu and if none are available it will launch from a terminal using sudo if available, su otherwise.

#4 2013-04-07 07:13:46

snowkeld

old link is no good.

here is a new download.

requires gtkdialog, basic tools. and i guess adduser is an issue with some distros so that is removed but deluser is still used...

anyone know of a good command to remove a user from a group? (that is used on "any" linux system)

DOWNLOAD

#5 2013-04-07 07:41:35

Mr Green
Administrator

Comments, suggestions please feel free to contact me mrgreen(at)archbang(dot)org

#6 2013-04-08 02:08:32

snowkeld

i was looking at usermod once before but the process seemed a bit much. looking again now i devised a one line command that works perfectly.

groups_keep=`groups $user | sed -e "s/ $rem_group//g" -e "s/ : /:/g" -e "s/ :/:/g" -e "s/ /,/g" | cut -d: -f2`; usermod -G $groups_keep $user

i am now spending most of my time on a live installer. this will be very basic. partition choices, swap options, grub options, create a user
will be writing a separate setup for further options but it will be more feature rich and may not work on other distros. hence separating it from the installer.

if any of this could be of use let me know.

Board footer