You are not logged in.

#1 2013-03-27 04:12:17

pablokal
Administrator
Website

No DRM in HTML5

Hollywood is at it again. Its latest ploy to take over the Web? Use its influence at the World Wide Web Consortium (W3C) to weave Digital Restrictions Management (DRM) into HTML5 — in other words, into the very fabric of the Web. Millions of Internet users came together to defeat SOPA/PIPA, but now Big Media moguls are going through non-governmental channels to try to sneak digital restrictions into every interaction we have online. Giants like Netflix, Google, Microsoft, and the BBC are all rallying behind this disastrous proposal, which flies in the face of the W3C's mission to "lead the World Wide Web to its full potential."

We're not going to let this slip through under the radar. More than 6,000 people have already signed this petition to stop DRM in HTML5. Join them and help us build momentum to reach 50,000 signers by May 3rd, 2013, the International Day Against DRM. We'll drive the message home by delivering your signatures to the W3C (they're right down the street from us!) to make your voices heard.

hollyweb.jpeg

Sign the petition: http://www.defectivebydesign.org/no-drm-in-html5

Getting your questions answered here at ArchBang Forums
Please! Always give hardware info, if there is a chance that 's relevant: #lspci -vnn
On Arch(bang) and Openbox: http://stillstup.blogspot.com/

#2 2013-03-27 12:36:39

scjet

Re: No DRM in HTML5

.... we all know adobe's (32-bit-only Linux) flashjunkin' is just a proprietary piece of kaka,
whereas, I would think, "html5" is to the world-of-web like having a file-system that is universal to ALL OS's,... ? (aka - ZFS would have been nice).

I just don't get this greed-driven DRM stuff once again ?
I thought HTML5 is free/opensource ?!  -which means NO DRM allowed ?!  I realize that what happened to Linux/Android was great for google, but not so much for us, but wow,  not again. !

...maybe "free/opensource" doesn't really mean anything?, but then again, I am not a puppet-"Lawyer", so I guess I really don't know squat about any of this stuff anymore.
sad

Last edited by scjet (2013-03-27 12:40:03)

#3 2013-03-27 12:44:39

scjet

I'm sorry, but this stuff just drives me nutz..  <frown>

Sooo, I'm gonna pull a (depressing) Aldous Huxley / Arthur C. Clark right now.
... I honestly fear, along with all these iPads'/closed-Tablets/... (which potentially, are not a bad thing, hardware-wise -only if they were more "Open"),
that the whole "Internet" as we know it, is slowly being morphed into a giant interplanetary "sewage"-cable/TV,
and we're ALL witness's to this.

The only way out of this is to support your local "Publicly-owned" broadcasters, make our own movies, and forget all these overpaid hollywood actors,..., (aka I'm sure the (future) Bruce Willis's, and Mel Gibson's will learn to earn a lot less than $20-million per movie?! uhh huh yep.)

UN-subscrice to the HBO's,... and big "Cable/TV" corps/companies/ as well as any of their telecom affiliates. -Don't worry, they will all come crawling back to us, and this time they'll pay us, to watch them.

Even A lot of musicians' these days, don't even bother with the big Record-companies (corporate middlemen) anymore -just look/listen at "Radiohead", ...  ?!
- while we're at it, replace ALL corp/telecom/telephone with "publicly"-owned VOIP/Wireless -use the Internet for what it's really worth -namely, US (you and me) !

Uninhibited freedom-of-speech, ..., having access to the truth for ALL, is what this is all really about, without which we are nothing.

any other idea's ?
smile

Last edited by scjet (2013-03-27 13:15:30)

#4 2013-03-27 14:06:34

pablokal
Administrator
Website

Yeah, I was terribly disappointed to that W3C seems to be bought too.

Please! Always give hardware info, if there is a chance that 's relevant: #lspci -vnn

#5 2013-03-27 15:30:51

handy

Thanks for posting this pablokal. I've copied it & posted it at Spiralinear.org & the Manjaro forums too.

#6 2013-03-28 07:29:46

scjet

@Handy:  thanks for passing this on ...

mmm, It also looks like maybe the "W3C" needs to CLEAN it's own house first, and get rid of it's "poisonous" members !!!

- good ole' wiki to the rescue:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Wide_Web_Consortium

reading under the section "Criticism", near the bottom page.

The W3C has been criticized as being dominated by larger organizations and thus writing standards that represent their interests. ...

LoL, I guess we all know now how "Hollyweb" snuck in. !
The trouble will be trying to "weed" out any other corrupted members of that "consortium", who have obviously been secretly "paid-off".

Last edited by scjet (2013-03-28 07:38:03)

#7 2013-04-02 08:02:58

scjet

I have received a very good reply/explanation of all this potentially intrusive "DRM" into the W3C from the Campaigns Manager, Zak Rogoff.
Out of respect, I have asked him for permission first, before posting his explanatory quote here.

Last edited by scjet (2013-04-02 08:03:57)

#8 2013-04-03 08:21:35

scjet

So here's Zak's reply, regarding and from http://www.defectivebydesign.org/no-drm-in-html5 - with respect of my below question to them.
Please also respect that this is simply their opinion only.

anyway, basically my question was
"Why would the W3C go along with DRM,..., especially if Tim Berners-Lee is still the "Director" of the W3C. ?"

- below is Zak's reply/opinion :

Hi Richard,

We agree that it's unfortunate for the W3C to take this direction, even with Tim Berners-Lee still at the helm. I can't know exactly what's going on in the
boardrooms where these decisions are made, but here's a general explanation: many web companies (like Netflix, i.e.) that have sway in the W3C are
beholden to Hollywood and other Big Media contracts. Big Media wants DRM on the Web because it makes it easier for them to exercise power over users,
media-distributers and playback-device manufacturers. Big Media uses its influence with Web companies to pressure them to put forward proposals like
this in the W3C.

Unfortunately, Tim Berners-Lee has actually endorsed (http://boingboing.net/2013/03/10/tim-be … needs.html) the Encrypted Media
Extensions proposal that would put DRM hooks into HTML. I'm not sure why he did this, but it's pretty unfortunate. I believe that he may actually buy into
the idea that "if we don't appease Hollywood by putting in the DRM that they way, they'll pass us over and use some media-delivery system other than the
Web, so we must accomodate them." A silly argument, to say the least.

We are up against some powerful organizations, but we have good tools for this fight and we can win. If you'd like to help more, please get everyone you
know to sign the petition against DRM in HTML 5 at http://www.defectivebydesign.org/no-drm-in-html5 . The more people stand up agains this, the
harder it is for Big Media to slip this through under the radar.

Zak Rogoff
Campaigns Manager

Needless to say, I found this interesting and I hope others may as well,
so ya, lets ALL sign the above petition.
smile

Last edited by scjet (2013-04-03 08:29:05)

#9 2013-04-03 13:46:05

pablokal
Administrator
Website

Thanks for the info...

#10 2013-04-03 15:10:55

handy

I'll post links to this at Spiralinear.org & Manjaro's forums.

Thanks scjet.

#11 2013-04-06 09:17:06

andrekp

Maybe before Hollywood concerns itself with piracy in the world in general, it should do something about the FACT that these movies largely originate in pirated form from within the industry itself.  Employees at the studios are the ones putting it out there.

DRM is all about control.  Control of devices that will PLAY copyrighted content.  It's a step toward a world where you don't own anything digital and it's all controlled by others (whether government or corporations).  And since information is now mostly digital, it's control of information.  Eventually, knowledge will be what someone in power approves it to be.  Oceana has always been at war with Eastasia...

But so long as the world is mostly populated by sheep who can't be bothered to understand anything technical, and don't mind being told that they CAN'T do whatever they want on their computers/phones/etc. but must only do what Microsoft, or whomever, approves, it will not change.

#12 2013-04-06 15:14:08

pablokal
Administrator
Website

Woow and than I thought I was pessimistic...

Board footer