You are not logged in.

#1 2013-02-28 23:30:02

handy

PC-BSD's first Rolling Release ISO's now available:

Wow! PC-BSD is working on going Rolling Release. The rolling release iso's are now available:

http://blog.pcbsd.org/2013/02/first-rol … available/

#2 2013-03-01 19:54:46

lrcaballero
Website

Re: PC-BSD's first Rolling Release ISO's now available:

Thank you very much for the heads up & sharing!

lrcabalero

Live, Enjoy and Share

#3 2013-03-01 21:08:37

handy

It is great that there is both the ArchBSD project & PC-BSD now going rolling release. If the systemd path ends up taking Linux into a place that we really don't like we will have at least PC-BSD where we can go that will be systemd free & rolling release - being the way that so many of us like to roll. smile

I left Arch & went to PC-BSD after learning enough about systemd to not like the possible futures that could come from it. The alternative builds by smil3y & such won't be around for the long run. Perhaps Gentoo & others will manage to build up the support to have a viable long term openrc init alternative system though it will only get tougher as time goes by. 

With that said, I ended up going to Manjaro (pure systemd!!!) because the one thing that I really missed in PC-BSD was the pacman rolling release system & Manjaro attracted me due to the atmosphere in their forum, its nice (like here), & I can help out a bit over there as there are a lot of newish Linux users. If they were intermediate -> advanced users I wouldn't have much to offer. I won't go back to straight Arch as they are too right wing over there for me.

I certainly won't be surprised if as time goes by & PC-BSD get their rolling release system polished up that I end up migrating. I still have PC-BSD on my 2nd machine but rarely use it these days. There is a script coming out shortly that will allow you to upgrade your PC-BSD system to the new rolling release version. I'll let them sort the bugs on that one & give it a go, I'll let you guys know how it goes.

#4 2013-03-02 10:37:05

Axl

Thank you for very interesting information.
If I could have more PC... sad

Thank you Mr. Ziggy Stardust! I've been waiting for 10 years.

#5 2013-03-03 18:33:51

lrcaballero
Website

@ handy

So, after your comment on Manjaro, I decided to pay them a visit and took their latest release with OpenBox for a spin. I must say that I am very pleased with such beauty, elegant, stable (3 hours of playing with it) and super fast distro considering the short time that they have within the Linux community! BTW I am enyoing the synapse app...this eliminates the need for a OB menu wouldn't you agree?

I think I am going to make this one my everyday distro for now....until perhaps ArchBSD / PC-BSD get more polish as far as RR is concern. I have not have any luck with PC-BSD 9.0, tried installing it several of times but there is a bug with my laptop BIOS that will not let PC-BSD boot after install. I will keep waiting. I would really like to try OpenBSD but I am afraid that I am not that experience YET!!! Time will tell.

Again...thank you for sharing and your input. BTW... I read your short intro at the Manjaro forums....I enjoyed it very much. ; )

badce0240845767.jpg

Cheers

Last edited by lrcaballero (2013-03-03 18:46:19)

Live, Enjoy and Share

#6 2013-03-03 23:52:51

handy

I don't use the Manjaro Openbox spin (or synapse).

It is very well put together, but compared to my bare bones Ob setup, Manjaro's is like a DE environment. Carl put a lot of work into it to get it there, it is particularly good for new users who are still finding out about how you can so easily customise Arch based systems. Though of course there are old hands that like what Carl has done with Ob too.

Board footer