You are not logged in.

#1 2013-02-28 03:48:54

Mr Green
^! Developer

Best laid plans

My attempts at reducing iso size have for the most part failed. With cairo now dragging in mesa now adds around +40Mb to iso size. Even with removing most of the minor gui applications and flashplugin still looking at +470Mb.

Simply going to aim for a base iso at around ~500Mb, put back some that have been removed and maybe add some new.

Would imagine that most users run ArchBang from a usbdrive and those who still burn we are within cdr size.

"Have done an install of archbang while on a bus"

#2 2013-02-28 06:24:41

rabbit

Re: Best laid plans

Mr Green,  I am using a very old 1GB USB stick.  In fact it is difficult to find new USB sticks under 4GB size these days.  I don't see any need to keep the iso at 500 MB but I appreciate and agree with the intention to keep it simple.  I am also using "munch" successfully.

Feedback on RC-2013.02.14-x86_64:  the "live" broadcom-wl driver did not work and I had to "packer -S broadcom-wl" (re-install into "live").

Feedback on Lite-2013.02.26-x86_64: I successfully did the "pacman -S packer" from archbang repo, with persistance.  I would rather have packer remain, to access broadcom and various utilities as the case arises.

In the "Lite" iso, when you removed packer and ob utilities from "live", did you also remove it when "lite" is installed on HDD?  I have run the "live" versions of Lite and RC, but I did not install them so I don't know if packer is missing from the installed Lite system.  I would prefer 'automatic' installation of packer and ob utilities.

Last bit of update: nouveau now works on my Compaq laptop with nvidia 6150 integrated graphics; previously I had to run "live" vesa, then install the proprietary drivers

Thank you, Archbang continues to be a very pleasant experience.

#3 2013-02-28 07:11:17

Mr Green
^! Developer

@rabbit adding packer was always going to add weight to iso and felt that it is not needed live. Can understand your problem if you cannot access AUR you cannot install packer or broadcom. The way I see it is even if you had packer shipped with ArchBang you still could not access the web to update broadcom drivers. Do not check any on AUR at any regular interval as I find building packages a real pain. I could add repo to pacman.conf to make adding packer a little easier. You are of course right most usb drives are 1gb and over, but do try to keep iso down to save time uploading. Currently on my cable connection it takes about an hour but that might change in the future.

#4 2013-02-28 20:07:04

rabbit

No worries Mr Green, if you put that Archbang repo into pacman.conf ; I will be able to install packer and broadcom on my own.

I have an RJ-45 LAN connection and also a USB-wifi dongle for the times that Broadcom fails to work, so packer & aur are the critical path.

Thank you very much.

#5 2013-02-28 21:59:35

throdon

yeah , since archlight came out, 'broadcom' wont install.

It's not a distrochanger for me, but what did you remove so that a 'packer broadcom' doesn't work anymore. If it's the AUR then sorry.

#6 2013-02-28 23:53:19

Mr Green
^! Developer

broadcom-wl is still shipped with ArchBang.

@rabbit will add repo for next release...

#7 2013-03-01 00:40:35

rabbit

I believe the broadcom-wl "issue", is that broadcom needs re-compiling after every Linux update.
It seems "packer -S broadcom-wl" must be re-compiled when using the live-iso; to get broadcom working. 

Perhaps ,,, Mr Green updated Linux to the latest [when preparing the iso]; but without subsequent re-compiling "broadcom-wl".
This is just my guess, because I run into this problem when I reboot after a Linux update ,,, if I forgot to re-compile broadcom-wl before shutdown. 

Just one of those "traps" for broadcom users.  I wonder if there is a way to auto-compile (packer) broadcom-wl after a Linux update.
I don't remember needing to re-compile broadcom-wl on Ubuntu/Mandrake in "the good old days".

#8 2013-03-01 00:57:08

Mr Green
^! Developer

Well if you had a pacman wrapper/alias to warn you/or update broadcom when a new kernel update is detected. (easier said than done!)

Does broadcom-wl not work in recent iso release? It may well be that my system was not up to date when I ran build. It can happen as build script loads from its own pacman.conf. (also when broadcom-wl was built it may not have matched later kernel)

#9 2013-03-01 04:03:23

rabbit

To clarify: [mentioned in post#2 above]

RC-2013.02.14:  broadcom-wl needs a re-compile with packer, on the live-iso.

Lite-2013.02.26:  broadcom-wl is already working in the live-iso, no need for re-compile.

Sorry for any confusion. Thanks.

#10 2013-03-01 05:33:44

Mr Green
^! Developer

Thanks smile Waiting to see if 3.8 hits repos not sure then if broadcom will work.....

#11 2013-03-01 07:35:17

oliver
Administrator

Mr Green wrote:

@rabbit adding packer was always going to add weight to iso and felt that it is not needed live. Can understand your problem if you cannot access AUR you cannot install packer or broadcom. The way I see it is even if you had packer shipped with ArchBang you still could not access the web to update broadcom drivers.

Could we add pkg files in a dir but not install them?  I realise it's adding more overhead but an unexploded pkg is way smaller than an installed one.  I'm thinking of something like /var/pkg/archbang/bonus/ (or whatever you want to call it - ideally, I'd call it 'extra' but it would be confusing) - then people could add stuff with pacman -U /var/pkg/archbang/bonus/whatever.pkg.xz

You could add packer and some of the more esoteric networking stuff.

I don't know if the those really add much weight to the ISO to begin with though

#12 2013-03-01 07:46:30

Mr Green
^! Developer

@Oliver its a chicken and egg scenario. Yes I could ship with packer package but you still need most of base-devel to be able to build anything. That said you need the net to access pacman/AUR. Same really applies to broadcom-wl. I dropped the ball on last but one build simply because package was built on an older kernel. Maybe I could ship with broadcom-wl as a package? will it install and work?

#13 2013-03-01 17:32:31

throdon

Sorry guys to many posts to qoute you all.

I don't know which version of light I used except x86_64. I installed sometime in the beggining to mid Febuary.

I generally open up every repo in pacman.conf, so I am running Linux 3.8.0-2.

I used to 'packer -Syyu' to upgrade. If I saw a Linux upgrade I would then 'packer broadcom' It would give me a list of 15-20 packages for broadcom.

when I switched to Archbanglite. I installed 'yaourt' because I knew how to install that. From there I installed 'packer'.

I sometimes lately get 'repo out of sync' errors. I work around them best I can and drive on.

I am also getting 'qt4 and qt are in conflict' errors.

Still my favorite distro. thanks.

Last edited by throdon (2013-03-01 17:38:21)

#14 2013-03-01 22:45:47

Mr Green
^! Developer

@throdon https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Mi … _not_found

Not sure about Qt, only thing I have that uses it is vlc....

#15 2013-03-02 08:35:37

oliver
Administrator

qt4 is the new name for qt because qt5 is now in the repo.  You can safely say to replace qt with qt4 but anything from AUR that relies on qt[4] will have to be rebuilt

Board footer