You are not logged in.

#1 2013-02-07 06:48:05

Mr Green
Administrator

Is ArchBang a remix of Arch?

Yes and no. I am sorry but there is no clear answer we build on Arch Linux but we add configs,themes,icons that are ArchBang. We use Archiso to create isos remixed to add users, X, window manager and applications. Then there is 'abinstall' to me this is the biggest single issue with ArchBang, new users no longer install Arch the Arch way and so are not considered Arch users. If it was up to me I would remove abinstall, but it is not.

Are we a remix well again yes and no, I do not think there is any clear distinction. We are never going to be seen in any sort of regard by Arch, why should they?

Arch Linux is a linux distribution base that allows a user to build up a system of their choice, something we are taking away? Again yes and no, we do make choices for user but after install they can change anything they like.

Would I consider myself an Arch user well again yes and no. I run Arch linux [that I installed the Arch way!] but I am ArchBang.

Are we a thorn in Arch Linux side? Yes!

Comments, suggestions please feel free to contact me mrgreen(at)archbang(dot)org

#2 2013-02-07 08:08:21

oliver
Administrator

Re: Is ArchBang a remix of Arch?

In reading their docs, I do find them a little fuzzy.  I would say we are a remix in the 'spirit' of what a remix is but since we include AUR packages it means we're technically a derivative.

#3 2013-02-07 08:19:11

Mr Green
Administrator

We are neither one or the other. Is it fair to call us an Archlinux™ based Distro?

Comments, suggestions please feel free to contact me mrgreen(at)archbang(dot)org

#4 2013-02-07 08:19:23

nurr

no .. linux from first free.no there a hacked linux prohibiting any

#5 2013-02-07 09:40:39

pablokal
Administrator
Website

I find a remix  a rather grand term for a specific configuration of Arch Linux. (And the question I find utterly uninteresting)

The ab install is the automatic set up script of that configuration and just a handy tool as there are so many tools made and used together with Arch, like packer for instance.
For dogmatic Archers it is important to do the mystified do-it-yourself install. They seem quite bewildered by it given the value they put on it.

It is not important for them  to throw the much more important KISS principle out of the window with the end of using the rc.conf and systemd and..
So i find their indignation at Archbang quite superficial and nonsensical.

I just think we should ignore these negative sounds for some Archers. I would suggest that all Archers that use AB as a handy installation tool to speak out and come out of the closet and give some support back for the ease of use of Arch we provide them.

Getting your questions answered here at ArchBang Forums
Please! Always give hardware info, if there is a chance that 's relevant: #lspci -vnn
On Arch(bang) and Openbox: http://stillstup.blogspot.com/

#6 2013-02-07 09:56:30

Mr Green
Administrator

I think ArchBang users posting on Archlinux™ got right up Arch users noses. Already stated I have no control over that nor do I condone it, purely leave it to that user. We are not going too or expect to get any recognition. ArchBang and all other spinoffs/remixes show the capability of Archlinux™ in a user friendly form.

#7 2013-02-07 10:24:35

Alaska

I use Arch(bang) since a few months......linux since many years....

I first installed Arch the Arch way on 3 machines......i always preferred openbox and so on.....but installing Arch the Arch way sucks me.....i am a bit lazy - thats why i use linux ;-) - and install and configure on every machine makes me tired.....so i found archbang and my laziness was more than satisfied!!!!
Installing Arch, very pretty configured, themed, and so on.......

You all do a very very good job! It doesn´t matter what Arch puristas say, i think they should take a look behind the horizon!
Thanks for Archbang! I love it!

#8 2013-02-07 11:46:46

Axl

Recently I moved to Arch from Archbang, and then came back and moved and ...
This is because I'm testing myself whether I could make my Arch like Archbang lol

Today I feel it is better for me to modify Archbang, Tomorrow feel like trying Arch configuration from the beginning.
(Today's my system: Arch + X + i3 + dhcpcd)

Everyone has his/her own ideal Arch.
We can learn a lot of things from predecessors.
And those among predecessors, there are great distros.

Distros give us wonderful examples what we can do with basic Arch linux.
Of course, we can also learn from ordinary people, linux users.

I think if we deny other's way, we will lose our freedom.

Archbang is my home ground even when I login Arch forum.

Thank you Mr. Ziggy Stardust! I've been waiting for 10 years.

#9 2013-02-07 13:01:18

Mr Green
Administrator

Maybe we could use something like the footer on this page

http://archlinuxarm.org/platforms/armv6/raspberry-pi

#10 2013-02-07 13:35:52

CarlD

Personally, I wouldn't worry too much about how pure-Arch users perceive this or any other Arch-based distro.

As for being attacked on the Arch forums when asking for help, well, it also seems to happen to a lot of actual (and particularly new) Arch users, too!

#11 2013-02-07 13:38:45

pablokal
Administrator
Website

Thanks, Alaska and Axl for your feedback!!

About the footer, yeah, we can do it that way, but it is not to my liking.  I find it a bit businesslike and formal; something I don't recognize myself in as participant of the AB project.

Please! Always give hardware info, if there is a chance that 's relevant: #lspci -vnn

#12 2013-02-07 14:16:22

scjet

Mr Green wrote:

... we build on Arch Linux but we add configs,themes,icons that are ArchBang....

Are we a thorn in Arch Linux side? Yes!

As some of you know I built a few Arch-Netinstalls, and as above, I started with pure Arch, and simply added, along with the same packages that already exist, and the same as Arch uses (for our Archbang), added our AB configs, themes, ..... My goal was simply to make an exact replica of AB, using their Arch.

In Archbang, imho, 99% of the config modifications are solely for a more pleasant "Openbox" experience, but then again, even if I was an "Arch"-only user, I would also mopdify my Openbox configs as well from their defaults -I mean, who wouldn't ? -Lol.

To me, thats is what Archbang is, (in essence) -> Arch + Openbox + configs, ..., + it's "LIVE".

Archbang helped me learn Arch, as well as the other-way-round, ...

"abinstall" uses some extra automated tips n tricks, along with the obvious added advantage that AB is a "Live" version, whereas "netinstall" required some manual/CLI intervention.
But once, they were both installed, there WAS NO DIFFERENECE.
The biggest challenge, as Mr.G mentioned, is making "abinstall" keep up with the "Arch"-dev's changes, ...,  to everything.

In the same sense, if someone took a pure Debian-release, and made it a more automated-installation, LIVE, ... it's still Debian, "apt-get update" will result in the same things, once it's all installed...

Therefore to me, the techniques used to install Archbang/Arch-Netinstall maybe different, ...
-but the "end-product" is still the same, namely: Archbang = Arch
+ we use their exact same default "repo's".

To me, a lot of the Arch dev's/mods/... complaints are simply "... much ado about nothing..."

On the other hand, and only out of "respect", I do agree moreso now, that if a registered-user of this Archbang forum is using Archbang, then they should keep their issues, ...,  to here.

The point is, we will NEVER win any arguements with "Arch", in this issue, no matter how hard we try.
Yes, as @Allan mentioned, we could have every single config,... change posted and explained, in even more detail on our Hoempage, but at the end of the day, I have a funny-feelling, "Arch" will still say: "Hey ET, go home !".
Ya?, well guess where our "root" home is, and yep, it's right back at "Arch".
wink

Last edited by scjet (2013-02-07 14:25:27)

#13 2013-02-07 14:24:47

Mr Green
Administrator

Guess what I looked at main page and found we already have required footer in place...

@CarlD You are of course right smile I should focus on what I do best carbonara .,.,

#14 2013-02-07 14:32:58

seaelf

I like Archbang.  Right now, I don't want to mess with regular Arch.  I hate the expression, but I'm gonna use it anyway...I've been there and done that.....  I started messing with Linux around 2000 with Red Hat 7 I think.  But soon after that I started playing with "Basiclinux" based on Slackware 3.5.  Did the Debian thing (think it was Woody) recompiling the kernel for it and when I moved to Slackware 9, did the kernel thing there too.  Now I haven't messed with the kernel since those early days, I just wanted to see if I could do it.  I really enjoyed Slackware and the last distro I used was 13.  I've tried Mint, Umbuntu and a whole bunch more but always went back to Slack.  I discovered Archbang a little over a year ago I think.  I liked the way the screenshots looked when I first saw it on Distrowatch.  I'm still using Archbang but with wmfs2.  I've done the purity distro's many times but I don't need to do it all the time.  Who cares about the Arch forum.  I find the guys and gals here great.  Also enjoy the folks at BATL.  Just my two cents....for those of you who made Archbang possible, my hats off to you.  Thanks and keep up the good work.

#15 2013-02-07 14:46:10

scjet

seaelf wrote:

I like Archbang. ...  I find the guys and gals here great.  Also enjoy the folks at BATL.  Just my two cents....for those of you who made Archbang possible, my hats off to you.  Thanks and keep up the good work.

@seaelf  Hey thanks !
@Mr. G,  I don't know how many more "acolades" you need, but these are all proof-positive, that AB is a winner. !

Or,
as my old Deisel-mechanic boss once said, years ago: " ...Don't worry about it, meathead..."
Or,
my more recent IT/scrunge Boss said: "...It's ALL good, just don't fuss-up, or u're fired..."

smile

Last edited by scjet (2013-02-07 14:46:57)

#16 2013-02-07 15:00:48

Mr Green
Administrator

@scjet guess I was having a bit of a rant, something I try to avoid on forums.

#17 2013-02-07 18:17:37

nurr

I prefer archbang .. requires less time to install it., and I will not turn away from AB. continue to advance  developers AB many who  always  support you .. I always love AB

#18 2013-02-07 18:56:15

Dan
Website

scjet said:
// As some of you know I built a few Arch-Netinstalls, and as above, I started with pure Arch, and simply added, along with the same packages that already exist, and the same as Arch uses (for our Archbang), added our AB configs, themes, ..... My goal was simply to make an exact replica of AB, using their Arch//.

I thought I was the only one that did that. I loved Archbang, so I made my own version of it from Arch. I have also turned ArchBang into a plain Arch + Openbox,etc. Right now I am running my own version,(basic differences - Thunar, no slim, privs not modified with "no passwd", and some other minor changes).  I would agree that Arch and Archbang are fairly close, but with all the Arch vs. Archbang, I wonder if Arch and Archbang will eventually grow farther apart, until there are pretty big differences, (ie. Arch + KDE and Manjaro.) Or if Archbang will follow the Arch way closer, for instance, a net install with a "package", Openbox,Slim,Tint2, and some "bang" changes.In other words, it will be interesting where this ends up.

Last edited by Dan (2013-02-07 21:30:46)

#19 2013-02-07 22:18:46

throdon

I would love to see Archbang get closer to Archbox. If Archbox had/has the same installer I could do my thing without all the extra stuff that Archbang gives me.

As a start Archbang is great I love it a lot, but I like a lot of KDE apps and all the stuff that comes with Archbang gets lost when I finally get all my stuff installed.

As an example XFBurn and Gnome Mplayer. These are two (2) apps I never use but I am not really ready to remove and suffer the consequences of what happens if I remove something with 'pacman -R Gnome Mplayer' or 'pacman -R XFBurner'.

I have been with linux since U/Kbuntu 7.04 and Sabayon 3.4f (approx. Aug 2007) but I am more of an reinstall and start fresh than fix what might have been wrong.

Archbox with the installer would be a great thing.

#20 2013-02-07 23:48:33

Mr Green
Administrator

@rfk1ii & @throdon I have had so little feedback on ArchBang packages/look/configs that sometimes I feel I am inflicting iso on users. I would drop xfburn and gnome-mplayer in an instant [not too mention gparted too]. Try to make applications changes when I come across them. Problem Archbox has at the moment is X drivers and the very fact it ships with nothing, am very against the idea of an installer simply as it is not the Archlinux™ way....

#21 2013-02-08 02:04:40

Mr Green
Administrator

@throdon I did do an install to test removing gnome-mplayer

2013_02_08_1360310284_1360x768_scrot.jpg

No problems with removing them.

Did however during install and post install highlight a couple of small issues that I need to look at.

#22 2013-02-08 04:55:46

pablokal
Administrator
Website

am very against the idea of an installer simply as it is not the Archlinux™ way....

Are you serious?

So all your work on AB is really against your conviction....strange. But we are lucky that you are so contradictory..and you are not the only one:
It reminds of Archvortex who is project leader and also thinks AB is fundamentally a bad idea and even isn't using AB any more.
And of myself:
I'm doubtful and negative about AB because of the direction Arch is taking with rc.conf and systemd but still find AB a project that serves many users and should stay alive for that reason.

it will be interesting where this ends up.

To be honest I'm very amazed the project still exists.. a quiet death is the most probable outcome.
I advise users that want AB to stay to make some noise now and then ( like now) to make clear the project is appreciated and used.

@throdon I did do an install to test removing gnome-mplayer

Have you tried with pacman -Rns?

#23 2013-02-08 05:07:54

Mr Green
Administrator

Personally I do not like the idea of an installer that does most of the work, simply because it creates work smile We do take away the true Arch experience and you can argue you do not learn much by doing it the easy way. My comments are my own opinion nothing more.

ArchBangs future well you maybe right that it will at some point change direction. I had hoped that we could have split off by not using systemd but it was simply not viable for a small project.

Thought about doing a remix of Arch install medium and loading Gnome3 on top of it smile

#24 2013-02-08 12:00:29

scjet

Mr Green wrote:

Personally I do not like the idea of an installer that does most of the work, simply because it creates work smile We do take away the true Arch experience and you can argue you do not learn much by doing it the easy way. My comments are my own opinion nothing more.

ArchBangs future well you maybe right that it will at some point change direction. I had hoped that we could have split off by not using systemd but it was simply not viable for a small project.

Thought about doing a remix of Arch install medium and loading Gnome3 on top of it smile

1st:/ I like the "comradery" here at archbang forums. The devs, mods, admins, users, all try to help each other.
...who could ask for more. ?

...and, doesn't "Archbox" fulfill the "true Arch experience" as you call it ?   -I think it does.

Although, I guess there is also another alternative that we could add, and it's been discussed here before, but couldn't we also make an "archbang" package, in AUR, that simply, once an "Arch" default installation is done, they can run per-say: "packer -S openbox-archbang" ?, which basically mimics, and is in the same spirit, as our Archbang here. ?

It will definitely require "maintainer(s)", but afterall, if I have to lose this Archbang site, (and I hope NOT), then at the very least, it would be great to keep it alive in Arch forever, as long as that is.   wink

... and no, I'm not even gonna entertain the idea of a "dead", (except maybe on some closed-Tablet's...), Gnome3.   -sry Lol.

Last edited by scjet (2013-02-08 12:09:26)

#25 2013-02-08 12:44:03

Mr Green
Administrator

@scjet There lies the problem 'maintain' it takes time and effort to keep such a package up to date. Would love to add a netinstall to ArchBang but have avoided it for the same reasons. Archbox was a side project to test building a minimal openbox iso, maybe too minimal for some. Did not really want to add an installer that is in conflict with 'The Arch Way'

ArchBang-Lite anyone?

#26 2013-02-08 13:38:55

fschiff

Mr Green wrote:

If it was up to me I would remove abinstall, but it is not.

A meta-package with all of the applications plus configs and eye-candy would solve that.

#27 2013-02-08 14:07:16

Alaska

fschiff wrote:
Mr Green wrote:

If it was up to me I would remove abinstall, but it is not.

A meta-package with all of the applications plus configs and eye-candy would solve that.

For me this is not ArchBang! If i want to install meta-packages, i could if i would......i love a iso like AB is, burn it to CD and install on every machine i want.....and it is always the same quick install....even if there is a machine with no internet access!!! this is why i love AB so much.
I install AB, have X and a wm together with a slick UI...so a machine is, basically, full usable....

in my opinion it doesn´t matter if AB is a derivate, remix, spin off, clone, split or something else - it just works and fits my benefits!!!!!!!! so don´t break your heads, just keep on going your way!!!!

#28 2013-02-08 16:08:37

pablokal
Administrator
Website

.i love a iso like AB is, burn it to CD and install on every machine i want.....and it is always the same quick install....even if there is a machine with no internet access!!! this is why i love AB so much.

For me that is also essential; to be able to set up a new install in a minute or 10, while drinking tea; I like to be able to be lazy...I hate repeating dull routines.

#29 2013-02-08 19:20:10

throdon

Let me restart my statements. I use Archbang perhaps unusually. I love KDE, but KDE gets boring to me. When I run/install Arch or Archbang I add a lot of KDE Apps and run them in a strait openbox environment. Instead of running KDE with openbox as opposed to Kwin, which sucks by the way I add amarok, VLC, basket notes, dolphin, gwenview, digikam, ktorrent(thank you for not including transmission as this is something else i really want to uninstall but the hassle is to great.), Calibre, oKular, Yakuake and sometimes a whole lot more.

Now if I could build my way up from Archbox after the install instead of ripping out half of Archbang to get my Distro how I want it then it would be quicker and sweeter. BTW I have installed Arch Linux itself atleast 6-8 times before they removed their installer and made it harder. I don't want to spend the time doing this right now. So I will use Archbang as it is and Love it.

I don't know why I love Archbang more than anyother openbox distro but I think it's because of pacman.

#30 2013-02-08 22:31:31

mike4ca
Happy (Arch|Manjaro)[B,b]ang User

scjet wrote:

Although, I guess there is also another alternative that we could add, and it's been discussed here before, but couldn't we also make an "archbang" package, in AUR, that simply, once an "Arch" default installation is done, they can run per-say: "packer -S openbox-archbang" ?, which basically mimics, and is in the same spirit, as our Archbang here. ?

If I recall correctly, Mr. Green is a good example of someone who saw a need and had an interest so he stepped in and started working on the iso.  You had initiative before with the net-install.  Do you want to take the initiative on the AUR package?  You could try to set up the PKGBUILD and if it works then you could share.

I don't know how much work it would be to maintain.  I have no experience in AUR package building but I imagine it would be a list of openbox related dependencies, some default configs, and some nice wallpapers?

Free Software Foundation member 10865

#31 2013-02-09 00:54:20

handy

The way I see AB is that it provides many users (what percentage I wonder?) the opportunity to use Arch, with its wonderful rolling release (& cutting edge package versions for those that consider that to be important) without them having to go through the Beginners' Guide installation procedure.

(I was one of the others who were already familiar with Arch, who used AB as it can be a quicker way to install Arch, though that really does depend on just how many changes you make to AB to get Arch set up the way you personally like it.)

So making an AUR PKGBUILD that turns a base (Beginners' Guide) Arch install into AB would (imho) loose a great deal of the benefit that the current ArchBang installation brings to the table for many (most?) of its users.

Personally I consider the aforementioned AUR build to be a waste of time. If you can install Arch via the Beginners' Guide & you know how to search & use the Archwiki, then you are well on your way to being able to proceed with creating an Arch installation the way you want it to be (a broad generalisation I know smile ).

The AB backgound image, theme, OBmenu & conky would really be the only things(?) that would need to be available wouldn't they?

Last edited by handy (2013-02-09 00:58:43)

#32 2013-02-09 02:40:43

Mr Green
Administrator

I have a pkgbuild for themes [Mire2_gtk3] that I use to create iso, have not added it too AUR as I am not one for creating pkgbuilds and it works for me not sure it would work for others. In other words I really need some feedback on it.

An ArchBang package? Well yes it is of course possible, as Arch changes and ArchBang to suit it would need constant updating.

I think @throdon has a point people will want to install their own ideal packages, so it does really make sense to force them to use ours.

Transmission was removed as I did not see the point of torrent application live. You need a working connection to use it and it is a pacman command away if you do want it.

#33 2013-02-20 19:10:16

Dan
Website

pablokal wrote:

it will be interesting where this ends up.(rfk1ll)

To be honest I'm very amazed the project still exists.. a quiet death is the most probable outcome.
I advise users that want AB to stay to make some noise now and then ( like now) to make clear the project is appreciated and used.

Do you really think Archbang will die off? I would not like to see that. Nothing against the Arch forum, (I like it for what it is), but I find this forum much more easy going.

To that end- Would Arch/Openbox users be welcome here? I have defaulted to Arch/Openbox (Although I have Archbang on a spare laptop.) I could have just as well turned Archbang into this current system, as I've said, imho they are very close. Maybe having some more people here who have ran both ways (there has to be a lot of us!) would be a good thing.
Although I agree that having gone through the Arch install process is a valuable learning experience, it is not, in my opinion, the only way to learn about your system.

Mr Green, as far as feedback on packages, maybe a forum topic on top (x) changes users have made to their systems?

Last edited by Dan (2013-02-20 19:22:38)

#34 2013-02-20 20:32:05

throdon

Mr Green I love what you are doing. Keep up the good work. Start finding a maintainer now if you want to go on to other things just don't let the project die. Please keep it alive.

#35 2013-02-20 21:22:42

mike4ca
Happy (Arch|Manjaro)[B,b]ang User

rfk1ll wrote:

To that end- Would Arch/Openbox users be welcome here?

Should be fine.  Many of us have experience with both systems.  And the info would be useful for those that are customizing their AB installs.

Free Software Foundation member 10865

#36 2013-02-20 22:28:59

handy

ArchBang is Arch that has some customisations. It installs quickly to the point of being a fully fledged Arch system the way that the AB creator(s) want it to be.

Anyone that argues that AB is not Arch is arguing from a philosophical perspective & definitely NOT from a pragmatic point of view.

AB uses the Arch repositories!

So someone having experience with both systems basically means that once upon a time they did the Beginners' Guide install... Beyond that Arch is Arch.

Manjaro doesn't quite fit into the Arch is Arch category due to their stable repo being ~2 weeks older than those of Arch. Though you can use the Manjaro testing repo which is basically that of Arch being no more than 24hours older.

I have my Manjaro system set up the same as my Arch/AB systems were. I use the stable repo as I really have no need to have packages ~2 weeks earlier. So for me the only difference between using Arch/AB is that I don't upgrade my packages quite so often.

#37 2013-02-21 16:50:25

pablokal
Administrator
Website

Would Arch/Openbox users be welcome here?

Sure, but I think there are a lot more knowledgeable people at the Arch forums, but I can't stomach the atmosphere there  so I hardly ever visit it unless I have to go there to find clues how to help others.

#38 2013-02-21 17:59:43

Dan
Website

pablokal wrote:

Would Arch/Openbox users be welcome here?

Sure, but I think there are a lot more knowledgeable people at the Arch forums, but I can't stomach the atmosphere there  so I hardly ever visit it unless I have to go there to find clues how to help others.

Thank you, pablokal.
I like the Arch wiki and forum for reading, the knowlege base over there is very high.I like this forum as well, sometimes it's nice talk to other users without all the "formality."
I can see why they want to keep it that way, and the difference between the two is a good thing,I think.
I look forward to learning from both.

#39 2013-02-22 05:38:45

Alaska

The last years we, a couple of guys across europe, had a PardusLinux-user forum. Of cource we mainly supported Pardus problems, but if someone had problems with other distributions, we gave help if we could....no one was deleted, warned or excommunicated .... the only thing we hated were spam postings or postings about illegal things.....all of our users were treated with respect and friendliness - thats one of the reasons why i am here - i can feel the same spirit here!
It was hard for us to close the forum since PardusLinux is dead :-( but i am happy to have ArchBang!! :-)

Sorry for this post going OT.....

#40 2013-02-22 10:02:41

pablokal
Administrator
Website

It was hard for us to close the forum since PardusLinux is dead

Have you missed the revivial of pardus? Pardus Anka is now out
http://www.pardus-anka.org/en/pardus-an … -download/

#41 2013-02-26 11:16:53

Alaska

sorry for my late answer.....no i not missed the revival....but Pardus-Anka is not Pardus...it is more a fork or a try to keep Pardus alive.....but in fact it is not the Pardus i liked....the real Pardus is dead.....Pardus-Anka will try to put a heart back to a zombie....for the devs of Anka i hope they can for the future....Pardus itself was payed by the government of Turkey, Anka is a spare time project, so they have not the dev-power they should have.....

#42 2013-02-26 14:07:47

czubek

If not for ArchBang I never would have stayed with Arch. It provided me with a platform from wich I could learn Arch. I was with ArchBang for some time until major changes at Arch forced me back to Arch, (I couldn't get past the upgrades). But thanks to ArchBang and its source files, my Arch install looks almost exactly like ArchBang, (Openbox, Conky, Tint2).

Someday, I will know enough to be dangerous.

Board footer