You are not logged in.

#1 2012-12-29 09:16:56

Mr Green
Administrator

Archinstall a simple Arch installer script

If anyone wants to test out a new script I am working on then check out

https://github.com/mrgreen3/arch-install

The idea is to create a base install of Arch Linux. You simply need to edit the script at the start to include required settings. To keep things simple syslinux is installed by default.

This script will add to basic install:

• Packer for using aur [optional]

• Xorg

• Openbox

• Xfce4-terminal

As this very much work in progress I suggest you run in a virtual machine for testing purposes

Comments, suggestions please feel free to contact me mrgreen(at)archbang(dot)org

#2 2012-12-29 12:07:12

Ninja-1
Website

Re: Archinstall a simple Arch installer script

You could use echo + read to make the script set the variables interactively, that would eliminate the need to edit the script first.

#3 2012-12-29 13:17:05

scjet

I would like bring this up, and not just regarding AIS, but why do we not have a Keyboard choice during installation ?,
meaning, there are lots of little Arch (sort-of pre-made shell) catch scripts around other installers', that allow you to choose many other Language/Keyboard choice during installation.

Now, being that we are a reletively small Distro, (but very-well-liked), I often wonder why we don't incorporate that -unless of course, it's becuase we're a small distro that doesn't support a lot of languages/keyboards, on-the-fly during installation,
other than, just the Archbang  "English", or "American" choices ?
What I mean is, there is also Canadian-English, as well as of course, Canadian-French,..., anyway, I hope u know what I mean.?

Unfortuantely, I only have US-keyboard/English hardware keyboards, so I don't, right now, have direct experience if other distro's such as Chakra, Manjaro, Cinnarch, ..., Bridge actually install the right language/keyboard layout successfully, during installation ?

But i have successfully stripped-out other installers' scripts tools (aka cinnarch's keyboard/language choices) into my FAQ/Tutorial of "archbang-netinstall" here, albeit a few months ago, but again, I never needed to use it, nor did I have the (keyboard) hardware to test it.

EDIT: ya sry, this post should've been in "Feedback" for AB 2012.12, but anyway ....
smile

Last edited by scjet (2012-12-29 13:44:27)

#4 2012-12-29 15:49:52

oliver
Administrator

scjet wrote:

Now, being that we are a reletively small Distro, (but very-well-liked), I often wonder why we don't incorporate that -unless of course, it's becuase we're a small distro that doesn't support a lot of languages/keyboards, on-the-fly during installation,
other than, just the Archbang  "English", or "American" choices ?

I don't think it's a technical reason - just never had the requirement to do so... the "english / american" thing is just the language the installer options are displayed in.  It's really a proof of concept (and a little bit of humour since they both point to the same file) - but the idea was to separate out the messages to a different file.  This reduced clutter in the main script and also allowed for easy translations

#5 2012-12-30 01:42:28

Mr Green
Administrator

@Ninja-1 I may add interactive option at some point, wanted to get a basic install script going first. Was possibly thinking of putting settings in a config file so you would not need to touch script.

@scjet The option at start of abinstall was a way of allowing us to make installer messages in different languages, we have had no one offer to translate so we only have English at the moment. Now keyboard layout is something else abinstall has the option to edit vconsole during installation [set keymap]. Live we do have 'fbxkb' but it is limited. If under X you need to set up keyboard use 'setxkbmap'.

Comments, suggestions please feel free to contact me mrgreen(at)archbang(dot)org

#6 2012-12-31 06:36:20

Mr Green
Administrator

Something I am thinking about is setting up X via script. Xorg is not a problem I am loading it via a package list. What I need is a way to create file,directories and configs as new user?

su <username -c <command>

Or

Simply create what I need then chown them?

#7 2012-12-31 07:33:13

oliver
Administrator

where are the files located?  Is anything X related kept in the home dirs?

#8 2012-12-31 07:42:01

Mr Green
Administrator

Its this part [which should be done as user]

$ mkdir -p ~/.config/openbox
$ cp /etc/xdg/openbox/{rc.xml,menu.xml,autostart,environment} ~/.config/openbox

Noticed that echo >> .xinitrc seems to be ok

#9 2012-12-31 08:16:31

oliver
Administrator

can't this be added to /etc/skel and copied over when the useradd part is run?

#10 2012-12-31 09:10:59

Mr Green
Administrator

Anything in /etc/skel will transfer over to $HOME. Hang on... create {new_arch}/etc/skel and needed folders then move in configs prior to setting up user?

# Setup Openbox
mkdir -p ${new_arch}/etc/skel/.config/openbox
echo "exec openbox-session" >> ${new_arch}/etc/skel/.xinitrc
cp ${new_arch}/etc/xdg/openbox/{rc.xml,menu.xml,autostart,environment} \
   ${new_arch}/etc/skel/.config/openbox

#11 2012-12-31 10:00:37

oliver
Administrator

yeah - you get the bonus of any/all new users after installation also being set up in the same way

#12 2013-01-01 06:14:47

Mr Green
Administrator

Added packer install option [subject to 'aur' set to true] [not yet fully tested!!!]  also an xorg font package. What is next?

#13 2013-01-01 07:23:46

oliver
Administrator

is this a wish list or a requirements list? :-)

How about ability to enable multilib repo (or edit pacman.conf to add other options)

#14 2013-01-01 07:29:58

Mr Green
Administrator

@oliver I think they could be done post install more interested in setting up a basic work environment

Have found a problem with packer install 'cd packer' does not work using my $ACM <command>....

#15 2013-01-01 11:03:01

Mr Green
Administrator

Switched to using using EOF see if that works, then will create a function that only gets run if packer is required.

#16 2013-01-03 00:28:40

Mr Green
Administrator

Changed code to use functions, easier to read

#17 2013-01-03 05:38:42

Mr Green
Administrator

If arch-install is bloated then try micro-install:

#!/bin/bash
pacstrap /mnt base syslinux
genfstab -p /mnt >> /mnt/etc/fstab
arch-chroot /mnt mkinitcpio -p linux
arch-chroot /mnt syslinux-install_update -iam

#18 2013-01-06 06:13:26

Mr Green
Administrator

Decided to rewrite script [now called archinstall] without the need for arch-install-scripts. As I am no longer relying on genfstab you will have to edit script to create a working fstab. Going to add a blank fstab file which user can use then archinstall will simply copy it to new install. Or if you are feeling really brave you can just edit your installed version directly [<mount_point>/etc/fstab]

Archinstall will install base, syslinux, X, Openbox and packer if required

Board footer