You are not logged in.

#1 2012-10-16 19:59:22

smil3y
Website

LSD LiveCD

Since some may be interested in testing the LSD stuff put together I've made a LiveCD with the repository enabled and a few of the packages pre-installed, notably:

udev-fork
initscripts-git
sysvinit
sysvinit-tools
syslog-ng
dhcpcd
aboot-git
linux-zen
netcfg
most
vim
grub2-bios

and other from the base group.

Features that the Zen kernel doesn't provide:

• Debugging symbols (kernel probes, frame pointers, filesystem debugging etc.)

• Virtualization (XEN and KVM)

• Security modules (AppArmor and SELinux)

• IPV6 protocol

• Verbosity

Some scripts are provided too:

abs_grep.sh
cleanup.sh
kconfig_grep.sh
l2hd.sh
safe_source.sh
update-grub.sh
fix_daemons.sh

ISO image is hybrid so you can put it on to a USB stick if you wish but is available only for x86_64 architectures. Still interested? Download one of these:

LSD_BASE_x86_64-17_10_2012.iso
LSD_BASE_x86_64-17_10_2012.iso
md5sum: 7fd73000d541068d011513b323db2518

LSD_XFCE4_x86_64-18_10_2012.iso
LSD_XFCE4_x86_64-18_10_2012.iso
md5sum: 869b07b45bb5fc26710b9a160c5e7452

Last edited by smil3y (2012-10-22 17:44:41)

GNU/Linux does not stop you from doing stupid things, because that would also stop you from doing clever things.

#2 2012-10-16 23:31:44

Mr Green
Administrator

Re: LSD LiveCD

Boots fine like the splash and boot options, do think PS1 is little bit over the top smile

Comments, suggestions please feel free to contact me mrgreen(at)archbang(dot)org

#3 2012-10-17 03:47:11

pablokal
Administrator
Website

Wooow, very exciting and impressive the way you are providing alternatives .

Getting your questions answered here at ArchBang Forums
Please! Always give hardware info, if there is a chance that 's relevant: #lspci -vnn
On Arch(bang) and Openbox: http://stillstup.blogspot.com/

#4 2012-10-17 06:42:47

smil3y
Website

Mr Green wrote:

Boots fine like the splash and boot options, do think PS1 is little bit over the top smile

That's how I like it and am currently using it for half year or so but that's just a matter of taste wink

pablokal wrote:

Wooow, very exciting and impressive the way you are providing alternatives.

And I haven't yet put the XFCE4 on it smile. I've a GUI installer and a few other projects hosted at https://github.com/fluxer that you may like but I will build only base ISOs for now.

Last edited by smil3y (2012-10-17 09:52:18)

GNU/Linux does not stop you from doing stupid things, because that would also stop you from doing clever things.

#5 2012-10-17 09:19:06

ArchVortex
Retired

How difficult would it be to install a stage 3 tarball on your LiveCD? I'm thinking what if we made a weekly systemd-free stage 3 ArchBang tarball that could be installed on the LSD LiveCD installation (a la Gentoo) and provide a weekly updated ArchBang. I don't think it'll take much time to make the tarball.

You have the capacity to learn from mistakes. You'll learn a lot today.
FP:E5F8 7DBA 8128 9ACB 75F7 7279 BE34 AB66 76D9 16DE
KEY ID:76D916DE
Currently running ArchBang / LFS / OpenSUSE Tumbleweed

#6 2012-10-17 09:51:17

smil3y
Website

Tarball on the LiveCD? Do you mean from the LiveCD? Something like net-install?

I don't want to do that really. See, we are working with constant flow of software here. If I have to make stable LiveCDs that will install unstable (latest) software then that looks pointless to me. I would either provide a LiveCD with the latest software available on it that can be installed to HD permanently or just stage 3 tarball which can be installed from any other LiveCD via script or something. That way I will not have to work on LiveCDs and tarballs which will reduce the amount of work I have to do and software to support (I am alone on this task ATM).

#7 2012-10-17 10:11:37

Mr Green
Administrator

It would be nice to implement stage 3 tarball either via a netinstall script or as part of ArchBang iso.

Comments, suggestions please feel free to contact me mrgreen(at)archbang(dot)org

#8 2012-10-17 10:37:38

smil3y
Website

Ok, but first I want to know the other AB forums users opinions. Let's see how that turns out:

+1 for the LiveCD (me)
+1 for a stage 3 taball (Mr Green)

#9 2012-10-17 17:50:30

dodo3773

smil3y wrote:

And I haven't yet put the XFCE4 on it smile.

Very fast boot. Nice iso. Looking forward to an installer on it (unless I couldn't find it / figure it out). I think you misspelled *openbox* though smile

#10 2012-10-18 02:57:21

smil3y
Website

dodo3773 wrote:

Very fast boot. Nice iso.

Thank you, sir!

dodo3773 wrote:

Looking forward to an installer on it (unless I couldn't find it / figure it out).

l2hd.sh is what you are looking for, but you will have to edit it first. The scripts are in ~/bin (for root and normal user).

dodo3773 wrote:

I think you misspelled *openbox* though

Good one! big_smile
I'm XFCE4 and WMFS2 fanboy but I will soon fidle trough the configs of i3 which I find very easy to use. I know you people around here are *box lovers (so was I not long ago) so I've builded just a base ISO which you can install to your HD and then install openbox and tweak it to your liking.

#11 2012-10-18 03:52:18

pablokal
Administrator
Website

Yeah the iso works great!
For the moderate experienced user of AB it would indeed be nice if there was a kind of AB installer script.
As this script consists mainly on some default openbox settings it shouldn't be too complicated to keep it updated?
But I am afraid that MrGreen has already too much work on his hands.

Please! Always give hardware info, if there is a chance that 's relevant: #lspci -vnn

#12 2012-10-18 04:05:45

smil3y
Website

I can fork it on GH and make it work with my ISO in not time, should I build an ISO with it for you to test?

#13 2012-10-18 04:18:05

Mr Green
Administrator

Can you explain how LSD will work when users update it? Not too sure on how system will run once they connect it too Arch repos [and they will]. Really looking forward to testing iso once you get XFCE on to it.

Please no gui installer smile

#14 2012-10-18 04:32:12

smil3y
Website

Mr Green wrote:

Can you explain how LSD will work when users update it?

Sure, I can. As a matter of fact I already did, just look at the notes I wrote in the topic about it:

• packages are mostly for x86_64 with the exception of the architecture independent (those with arch=any)

• you should put it before the entries for the other repositories (core, extra, community and multilib)

• packages are one epoch ahead from those Arch Linux host, that means you will always get updates for those that are systemd releated from my repository. If I delay a sync a day or two please excuse me, the sync is done from me manually (for now).

In short - if I did my job correctly (which I am pretty sure I did) no headache should hit the user after installing it even on major system updates.

Mr Green wrote:

Not too sure on how system will run once they connect it too Arch repos [and they will]

As long as the LSD repo is first in their pacman.conf file there will be not troubles. That is to superseed all other Arch Linux repositories and make sure packages from the LSD repo are priority when syncing and updating.

Mr Green wrote:

Please no gui installer

Haha, and why is that? I tought you will say the opposite, is that sarcasm my brain can not process?

Last edited by smil3y (2012-10-18 04:33:47)

#15 2012-10-18 05:06:08

Mr Green
Administrator

So long as your packages are loaded prior to arch them that is fine, think about adding in a catch for days when you are not up to date... maybe a pacman wrapper to check status of repos and make sure you are top of the list in pacman.conf [pacman-lsd possibly]

'Say no to gui installers' Mr Green

#16 2012-10-18 05:44:38

smil3y
Website

Mr Green wrote:

.., think about adding in a catch for days when you are not up to date

I guess you are talking about:

packages are one epoch ahead from those Arch Linux host, that means you will always get updates for those that are systemd releated from my repository. If I delay a sync a day or two please excuse me, the sync is done from me manually (for now).

and if that is true I guess there is a miss understanding - the packages in the repository are meant to always have a higher version even when they are outdated, that's what "epoch" is for in a PKGBUILD. When/if my repository is out of sync those who use it will not get updates of packages that are shipped in the repo until I sync them even when Arch updated their packages. That's killing (somewhat) the bleeding edge repository Arch provides because I'm syncing manually. If regular syncs of my repo where made from a server that is meant to do just that on every 1h or even 30min that wouldn't be the case (or at least the delay wouldn't be that much) but none has provided me with this joy.

Mr Green wrote:

maybe a pacman wrapper to check status of repos and make sure you are top of the list in pacman.conf [pacman-lsd possibly]

I don't think that this is necessary since I already mentioned that in the notes in the proper topic. If one can not follow documentation (or even doesn't want to) that is their own doing. But don't blame me if the things turn out ugly.

#17 2012-10-18 05:54:53

Mr Green
Administrator

Ok that seems to have cleared up some of my concerns look forward to your next iso release

#18 2012-10-18 15:02:42

smil3y
Website

I builded XFCE4 ISO image, it ships only basic applications but I hope you like it. The wallpaper is temporary until I figure out something or someone else makes a good one. Download link in the first post. Enjoy the toe!

#19 2012-10-18 15:45:39

pablokal
Administrator
Website

md5sum xfce iso: 7fd73000d541068d011513b323db2518
Is this correct?

#20 2012-10-18 16:11:18

smil3y
Website

Yep

#21 2012-10-19 00:54:25

dodo3773

Just tested the new xfce4 iso and even in a virtual machine it is ridiculously fast. You have outdone yourself again. I am not sure what/how you built this thing but I love it. Whatever you are doing smil3y keep it up. You are a genius and I am truly impressed. My install attempts at the other iso failed and I am still not completely sure how to install this one but once I find out I am going to migrate my secondary system to this immediately. I guess I will have to just look at the install scripts you pointed out to me earlier or maybe just format and rsync the contents of the livecd or something. If you are creating an instaler I will be happy to wait and test it myself for you.

#22 2012-10-19 05:11:28

smil3y
Website

The secret for a LiveCD that performs well is AUFS and the compression of the SquashFS image. But in my case it's a little bit different since I even use optimized Kernel compiled from Zen sources. The SquashFS is compressed with xz compression but if I use gzip compression there will be ~10-15% boost. But that's just in LiveCD mode, where your HDD is not touched and every change on the root filesystem goes into the RAM and it really is insanely fast! Have you tried Copy2RAM? That would show you how fast a Linux LiveCD can be for real!

Anyway, I'm glad you liked it @dodo3773, I will include ALI on the LiveCD next time.

But the way this project goes - I will have to leave this forum soon. I don't want to spoil the forum of the AB guys/girls. As soon as I get a chance I will move another forum probably (for a start) or maybe even BitBucket where discussions will have to go to the issues tracker, I will examine the possibilities later. I hope that you (Mr Green and Pablo) will excuse for for the ranting.

#23 2012-10-19 06:11:39

ArchVortex
Retired

Who remembers when AUFS got taken out of Arch and caused us so many problems (no more Larch)??? Retards!!

Smil3y, you're more than welcome to stay here and don't have to leave. This subforum is to share your project and help ArchBang/Arch users keep a systemd free Arch system.

You have the capacity to learn from mistakes. You'll learn a lot today.
FP:E5F8 7DBA 8128 9ACB 75F7 7279 BE34 AB66 76D9 16DE
KEY ID:76D916DE
Currently running ArchBang / LFS / OpenSUSE Tumbleweed

#24 2012-10-19 06:42:46

pablokal
Administrator
Website

I hope that you (Mr Green and Pablo) will excuse for for the ranting.

No reason to excuse yourself; everybody that makes an important contribution has some rights to  expect support and feedback.
Sorry again,  that we were disappointing you. And you can stay on these forums if you like.
Very little time atm but will give some more feedback on iso and a certain repo problem I had..

#25 2012-10-19 06:46:23

oliver
Administrator

smil3y wrote:

But the way this project goes - I will have to leave this forum soon. I don't want to spoil the forum of the AB guys/girls

Could you reveal the process of turning the base ISO into an ISO with apps?  Maybe ultimately we can have multiple images available (non-systemd/systemd) both with the same X apps and Openbox stuff.  Then, if the consensus is to use non-systemd, we standardize on that.

Just thinking out loud here :-)

Last edited by oliver (2012-10-19 06:46:48)

#26 2012-10-19 06:58:41

Mr Green
Administrator

Noticed a sudo error during booting, nothing major not sure what is calling it

http://postimage.org/image/wk0h121cv/

#27 2012-10-19 12:58:38

smil3y
Website

ArchVortex wrote:

Smil3y, you're more than welcome to stay here and don't have to leave. This subforum is to share your project and help ArchBang/Arch users keep a systemd free Arch system.

pablokal wrote:

No reason to excuse yourself; everybody that makes an important contribution has some rights to  expect support and feedback.
Sorry again,  that we were disappointing you. And you can stay on these forums if you like..

Thank you for the support, I definetly will stay around here.

pablokal wrote:

Very little time atm but will give some more feedback on iso and a certain repo problem I had..

Take your time smile

oliver wrote:

Could you reveal the process of turning the base ISO into an ISO with apps?

Um, I'm not taking a base ISO and populating with apps. I do it from the start. I've coded some Bash scripts, libraries, hooks whatnot to put it all together. I did the same for Debian and Ubuntu in the past (for my personal use only) and just adapted the libraries to work with the difference when I was hopping. You can find them all on my GH page: https://github.com/fluxer but you will be most interested in this: https://github.com/fluxer/aBuild. I have to update the project names - they were meant to be part of my personal LiveCD aLive (meaning Arch Live), that's where the prefix "a" comes from.

But that's history, if you want to know how I build my ISOs you will have to look at https://github.com/fluxer/aBuild/blob/master/abuild and https://github.com/fluxer/aBuild/blob/m … ences.conf. That's the best reference. Note that the README is outdated. If you want to know how AUFS, SquashFS and such can form a LiveCD look at this: https://github.com/fluxer/aBoot.

oliver wrote:

Maybe ultimately we can have multiple images available (non-systemd/systemd) both with the same X apps and Openbox stuff.  Then, if the consensus is to use non-systemd, we standardize on that.
Just thinking out loud here :-)

That's an option. The repo is up so I guess you can build an ISO with packages from it. The LiveCDs I am building for my self but I don't mind sharing them.

Mr Green wrote:

Noticed a sudo error during booting, nothing major not sure what is calling it
http://postimage.org/image/wk0h121cv/

That is perfectly fine, I like know when something ain't right and almost never use redirection of stderr or stdout to /dev/null. In that case: https://github.com/fluxer/aBoot/blob/ma … onfig#L230 is checking for sudo to make it work without asking for password.

#28 2012-10-19 15:13:13

pablokal
Administrator
Website

Problem installing packages because of the keys.  Would be easier to use another SigLevel.

#29 2012-10-19 15:20:32

smil3y
Website

SigLevel = Never

for all repositories. I don't see where the problem is, I've sucessfuly installed firefox (just to test) in VirtualBox on the LiveCD. If you get "operation too slow" messages that's because Bulgarian mirror is the first packages should be pulled from and ftp.archlinux.org is used as fallback option.

#30 2012-10-19 15:27:30

pablokal
Administrator
Website

Ok, with

# pacman-key --populate archlinux

I managed to install some software using the liveCD.

#31 2012-10-19 16:25:58

Mr Green
Administrator

Could we not just make a custom initramfs and just carry on using initscripts?

#32 2012-10-19 16:43:13

smil3y
Website

You mean intramfs with AUFS support and the rest as is provided by Arch? It depends what you want to achieve.

Arch uses device mapper and ext3/4/other filesystem squashed into SquashFS image and that is not possible with my hook. It is coded to use single SquashFS image that contains the whole tree of the root filesystem where in Arch they use isotab file to mount different images (root.sfs, usr.sfs, etc.) and layer them on top of each other to make the tree complete. That makes the things complicated and ramastering their LiveCD is not that easy. The answer here is no.

If you are asking about other use case then, please, be more verbose in your question.

#33 2012-10-21 04:11:11

john29

Just tested the new live xfce4 iso very good,I would like to install on a 250gb USBHd just hope you are creating an installer,I have try interactive live with install l2hd.sh /devsdc1 /dev/sdc2
parted: /usr/lib/libudev.so.1: no version information available (required by /usr/lib/libdevmapper.so.1.02)
Error: Expecting a partition number.
Launching interactive shell for repairs
/lib/aboot/functions: line 43: launch_interactive_shell: command not found
sh-4.2# I must be doing something wrong ?

#34 2012-10-21 05:19:51

smil3y
Website

No, you are not doing it wrong. It is my mistake: https://github.com/fluxer/dots/blob/mas … 2hd.sh#L99
Put the number of your root partition (i.e. for /dev/sda3 you write 3) instead of ${BOOTLOADER_TO} like this:

parted --script 3 set boot || die

Note that this is optional step and can be skipped. Another thing is that we will have to redirect discussions to my email until I figure something out (forum probably).

#35 2012-10-21 05:52:10

pablokal
Administrator
Website

Feel free to continue this discussion here.

#36 2012-10-21 17:21:50

handy

I expect that there are quite a few of us lurkers watching the non-systemd threads here quite closely.

Last edited by handy (2012-10-21 17:22:17)

#37 2012-10-22 05:37:48

john29

Not working (parted --script 1 set boot || die) /dev/sda1 / & /dev/sd2 home

/usr/sbin/grub-bios-setup: /usr/lib/libudev.so.1: no version information available (required by /usr/lib/libdevmapper.so.1.02)

Try install grub
mount /dev/sda1 /mnt
mount -t proc proc /mnt/proc
mount -t sysfs sys /mnt/sys
mount -o bind /dev /mnt/dev
mount -t devpts pts /mnt/dev/pts/
chroot /mnt
pacman -S mtools os-prober
grub-install /dev/sda
grub-install --recheck /dev/sda
grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg
exit.

reboot grub not working into

rootfs# help please

#38 2012-10-22 06:06:56

Mr Green
Administrator

While under chroot try

modprobe dm-mod

Also

grub-install --target=i386-pc --recheck --debug /dev/sda

Will give more output...

Also check drive with

fdisk -l

#39 2012-10-22 11:53:54

pablokal
Administrator
Website

Try chrooting this way:

sudo /bin/bash
mkdir /mnt/sda1
mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/sda1

cp -vf /etc/resolv.conf /mnt/sda1/etc
mount -t proc proc /mnt/sda1/proc
mount -t sysfs sys /mnt/sda1/sys
mount -o bind /dev /mnt/sda1/dev
chroot /mnt/sda1

#40 2012-10-22 12:17:24

smil3y
Website

Or just use the repair option at boot when booting the LiveCD to repair the installation smile

#41 2012-10-23 13:28:45

smil3y
Website

New Live CD ISO is ready for testing. Notable changes:

• Live CD boot scripts use initscripts messages style

• Using gzip compression to improve overall performance

• Network Manager is not build with systemd and ConsoleKit support

• GUI Live CD installer included

• Included wallpapers are now listed when opening the Desktop preferences

• filesystem package includes custom motd and issue file, not stock Arch

• gnome-keyring included which is also build without systemd support

• updated initscripts which brings some fixes and improvements

Note that the Live CD installer has issues with complicated setups so using separate /boot, /tmp, /var and swap partitions is not going to work in some cases. SysLinux as bootloader probably isn't going to work well. Gparted will have to be started from root Terminal. Hence, installations should be tested in virtual machines before installation on systems with sensitive data.

Download and more information here

#42 2012-10-23 14:43:30

pablokal
Administrator
Website

Interesting; will test it out.
There is something not OK with your forums.
As registered member I see:
ISO image is hybrid so you can put it on to a USB stick if you wish but is available only for x86_64 architectures. Still interested? Download one of these:

[Only admins are allowed to see this link]
md5sum: 7fd73000d541068d011513b323db2518

md5sum: 869b07b45bb5fc26710b9a160c5e7452

md5sum: 56e844375e72f6c58b8c073466b9934b

So I can't download the iso.
You have to change permissions for members.
Members also don't seem able to react to your post.
Why do you lock this thread?
You can reply to topics in this forum so I suppose the permissions for replying ar OK.

#43 2012-10-23 15:27:20

smil3y
Website

Uhm, I didn't found option to enable/disable users to see links. Maybe you guys can help?

Edit: Ah, found it smile

Last edited by smil3y (2012-10-23 15:29:24)

#44 2012-10-26 17:38:03

smil3y
Website

• Wicked Wabbit is the mascot and respectively the it's present in the artwork

• New version of LSDI includes support for reiserfs, swap and btrfs filesystems fixes, new logo, feature to set the RAM limmit and a few more minor changes

• D-Bus fixes which solves the NetworkManager applet not being shown and reboot/shutdown via the XFCE4 menu

• colord without Polkit support

• gparted without Polkit support (solving the start issue)

• openssh without PAM support

• Added dbus_test.sh script to see if dbus is really running

• XFCE4 starts gnome-keyring-pkcs11.desktop and gnome-keyring-ssh.desktop on startup

• Custom version of Grub2, includes custom colors and update-grub script

• Re-worked syslinux configuration and splash

• Updated gtk-engines-clearlooks-colors

• Last synced at Fri Oct 26 18:58:31 UTC 2012

• Updated conky-colors configs

• Standard mirrorlist for pacman is supplied, only Bulgarian mirror is enabled by default

• Fixed linux-zen preset so that Grub detects the fallback initramfs image

• udev-fork updated to version 195

• Fonts Anti-alising for Terminal enabled

• Added LSD forum to the bookmarks of Chromium and changed Box-look to XFCE-look

Download:
LSD_XFCE4_x86_64-27_10_2012.iso
LSD_XFCE4_x86_64-27_10_2012.iso
md5sum: 8f1300e3d5c98ca825e5641215f568a8

#45 2012-10-26 20:39:44

handy

Picked up a copy from bitbucket, it looks great smiley. I'm waiting on a couple of IDE -> SATA adapters, when they arrive I'll install, customise & give your LSD Arch a run.

When I had a look at your site via chromium, there were 2 big green buttons, saying Download & Play, plus there was a window overlaying part of the screen. It had nothing printed in it, but stayed on top when I scrolled your forum's page?

The addressed for these two buttons looked quite ominous. LOTS of letters & numbers (I didn't press either of them).

I don't see this when I go to your site from Firefox in my BSD system (thankfully), whether that is because of Adblock & other security add-ons I don't know?

Last edited by handy (2012-10-26 20:42:20)

#46 2012-10-27 04:59:46

smil3y
Website

handy wrote:

Picked up a copy from bitbucket, it looks great smiley. I'm waiting on a couple of IDE -> SATA adapters, when they arrive I'll install, customise & give your LSD Arch a run.

Ok, cool.

handy wrote:

When I had a look at your site via chromium, there were 2 big green buttons, saying Download & Play, plus there was a window overlaying part of the screen. It had nothing printed in it, but stayed on top when I scrolled your forum's page?
The addressed for these two buttons looked quite ominous. LOTS of letters & numbers (I didn't press either of them).
I don't see this when I go to your site from Firefox in my BSD system (thankfully), whether that is because of Adblock & other security add-ons I don't know?

Yes, those are ads. I suggest you to install adblock plus for Chromium too.

#47 2012-10-27 19:04:05

handy

When I install I'll replace Chromium with Firefox & copy over the contents of my ~/.mozilla/firefox/<alpha numeric>.default/

[edit:] cleaned corrected the path.

Last edited by handy (2012-10-27 20:26:25)

#48 2012-10-27 19:15:15

smil3y
Website

I don't think that this will work but you can import the profile from firefox which should be safer.

#49 2012-10-27 20:20:44

handy

I did it that way on my PC-BSD machines. Meaning I copied the contents & didn't change the alpha numeric part of the ~/.mozilla/firefox/<alpha numeric>.default/ directory.

Though I agree, the importing would be better. smile

Last edited by handy (2012-10-27 20:25:32)

#50 2012-10-28 07:24:38

oliver
Administrator

FF has a sync option if you want to maintain the same profile across different machines

#51 2012-10-28 16:09:48

handy

I'm a bit wary of FF's sync. Though I must admit that I haven't looked into it as far as privacy issues are concerned.

I use Xmarks with the encryption option enabled, to sync my Bookmarks across machines/systems which is a wonderful thing.

I suspect that you can tell that I'm not sold on "The Cloud"...

#52 2012-11-08 13:06:21

smil3y
Website

• Zen Kernel compiled from 3.5.7 sources

• Live bootscripts fixes

• Last synced at Wed Nov 7 23:18:53 UTC 2012

LSD_XFCE4_x86_64-08_11_2012.iso
LSD_XFCE4_x86_64-08_11_2012.iso
md5sum: b6ba6c4d96cafa90a3b8eefb771a9795

#53 2012-11-08 16:56:08

handy

If you are going to be dropping Arch support smiley, I don't see there being great deal of value in adopting your LSD system.

Many of us are looking for an LSD Arch based system that we could use for the long term. Unfortunately it looks like such a thing doesn't exist.

#54 2012-11-08 17:31:15

smil3y
Website

handy wrote:

If you are going to be dropping Arch support smiley, I don't see there being great deal of value in adopting your LSD system.

I'm not going to remove the sources at BitBucket, they will be there if someone wants to continue when I quit. You can fork them and do your thing or send me an email and I will transfer ownership of the repositories.

handy wrote:

Many of us are looking for an LSD Arch based system that we could use for the long term. Unfortunately it looks like such a thing doesn't exist.

Not much of those around here, nor at the Arch Linux forums. That's how projects go to dust.

#55 2012-11-09 05:23:45

handy

Arch users that don't want systemd are going to end up being left out in the cold.

Which leaves the non-systemd people with Gentoo based & the few other distros that are using alternatives (for how ever long), plus of course the BSD's.

It still pains me that Arch has turned to shit!

Who would'a thunk it?

#56 2012-11-09 06:29:22

pablokal
Administrator
Website

Not much of those around here, nor at the Arch Linux forums. That's how projects go to dust.

I agree.
Dissidence has never been wide spread among the conformist Arch crowd. No surprise that Arch turns bad this way.

#57 2012-11-09 14:00:52

handy

pablokal wrote:

8<  8<  8<  8<  8<  8<

No surprise that Arch turns bad this way.

Ah! So it was pablokal who done the thunken!

#58 2012-11-09 20:21:53

lrcaballero
Website

Should I start considering another distro??? Is probably a good time to start my journey with the BSD's like handy...Although I have been playing with GhostBSD for quite some time but not really have adopted it...Where would you guys be going next??? I really enjoy AB and the very nice, well educated and gifted people in these forums....Thank you for all of your help and knowledge..I am just hoping to be able to run AB for a few more months.....

Cheers,

lrcaballero

Live, Enjoy and Share

#59 2012-11-10 00:53:12

handy

If systemd isn't a problem for you, then AB is a terrific distro to run with.

I've not heard Mr Green talking about letting AB go, which is great news for all of its users.

#60 2013-01-01 20:52:34

smil3y
Website

Consider this an Alpha, but progress has been made. Changes from the latest Alpha ISO announced in the global announcment on the LSD forums:

Packages prepared for booting with separate /usr (untested but should work)

• Added README

• Updated l2hd.sh

• Fixed FS#31563 in initscripts

• Fixed commands execution when USE_PARALLEL=no in iniscripts

• Ditched binfmt and moved /usr/lib files to /lib, as well as /usr/sbin to /sbin to be more friendly to separate /usr partitions setup in iniscripts

• Changed default live user groups in lsd-live

• Added dynamic motd in lsd-live

• No need to remount / ro; fixed 'press any key' in lsd-live

• Bumped perl to 5.16.2 as recommended update

• Updated glibc, bash, make, procps, syslogd and vim patches

• Added usb_conf.patch to mkinitcpio

• Added fcron to base (doesn't work right now duo to permissions issue)

• Added Grub to base

• Many more minor corrections in PKGBUILDs and such

Download from here. Cheers!

#61 2013-01-02 01:37:47

handy

I expect that you have been watching these two threads:

http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-93 … fcd8d5afe1

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=152606&p=6

I have them always open.

#62 2013-01-02 06:09:57

smil3y
Website

handy wrote:

I expect that you have been watching these two threads:

http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-93 … fcd8d5afe1

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=152606&p=6

I have them always open.

I'm subscribed to the second one, but I'm not to the one about the udev forks and such, I do watch this tough: https://github.com/gentoo/eudev. And I'm subscribed to the AL projects and LFS mailing lists, which help me get prepared for things such as the "block" hook move early on.

Last edited by smil3y (2013-01-09 19:02:54)

#63 2013-01-09 19:06:53

smil3y
Website

Consider this an Alpha, but progress has been made. Changes from the latest Alpha ISO announced:

• Toolchain updated to support threads and link time optimizations

• GCC split to gcc and gcc-devel to slim the size of base installation

• Added nscd daemon and default config

• Updated descriptions, home pages and licenses of package in base group, other from core will follow soon

• Added packages mirror in case the main goes down

• New packages ported - Xorg and XFCE4 as well as some others on which they depend available via extra repository

• Packages that offer test suites passed check, the only exceptions are some GCC and Pacman tests which should be solved in the next release

• Removed libcap, acl and attr from core which are only recommended

• Moved mpc and mpfr to devel

• Updated linux-firmware from git repository

• Bumped grep, file sed, dhcpcd and ca-certificates to minor releases

• Many more minor corrections in PKGBUILDs and such

Download from here.
md5sum: 5d33b181c0920094454bbbb03dc248ad.

Also http://lsd-linux.forums.gs/t2-packages-repository has been updated.

And here is a 'lil somethin' somethin' for you:
http://imageshack.us/a/img35/5979/lsdxfce4.png
http://imageshack.us/a/img90/7968/lsdminimalxorg.png
http://imageshack.us/a/img341/6009/lsdfluxbox.png

Cheers!

Last edited by smil3y (2013-01-09 19:13:05)

#64 2013-01-10 07:36:53

oliver
Administrator

nice - downloading now.

#65 2013-01-10 14:07:58

pablokal
Administrator
Website

Congratulations; keep us informed!!

#66 2013-01-10 15:44:29

smil3y
Website

pablokal wrote:

Congratulations; keep us informed!!

Thank you, will do!

BTW, I've just uploaded XFCE4 ISO image which is a bit more polished in terms of overall look (themes, icons, fonts) for your enjoyment smile

https://bitbucket.org/smil3y/lsd-build/ … 1_2013.iso
md5sum: 25adefc107272318b2b6e9baf1818a17

#67 2013-01-26 10:30:00

smil3y
Website

Consider this a Beta, but progress has been made. Changes from the latest Alpha ISO announced:

• all packages from core are known to pass their test suit, gcc being the only exception

• added libnl, wpa_supplicant, wireless_tools, ALSA stack, jfsutils, syslinux, nasm, xorriso and opera

• updated autogen to 5.16.2

• updated libxslt to 1.1.28

• updated os-prober to 1.57

• updated man-db to 2.6.3

• updated ca-certificates to 20130119

• updated hwdids to 20130119

• updated kmod to 12

• fixed Xorg server not being able to run as regular user

• dcron replaces fcron

• fixed docbook-xsl

• added cron job files for man-db, gdk-pixbuf and gtk2

• updated the rest of the core packages licenses, descriptions, install files and other minor changes

• added patches for pacman from official git

• contribution files shipped with pacman

• resolved files conflicts

• fixed / fsck and removed invalid --login-shell argument in inittab for sulogin in initscripts

• added ata_piix to the modules to be loaded by the live hook and fixed live_lang boot argument override

Given the fact that this is Beta release feedback is more than welcome now! The Extra repository is still in Alpha stage because of HDD failure of my main PC so Extra will probably enter Beta state after a few more days, be patient.

There is one thing you should know - people who test this release should report all issues encountered with packages from Core only at the appropriate place, either at the sub-forums or at the issues trackers of the repositories at https://bitbucket.org/smil3y. After all issues had been addressed there will be second Beta and if all goes well there will be a Stable release in no time.

Also, some tools/scripts had been written to help you with the packaging process. Sources at https://bitbucket.org/smil3y/lsd-tools, binary package in Core which is part of the devel group. There are still some rough edges here and there tough.

The ISO images are Hybrid again so you can put them on USB stick and boot from them. wpa_supplicant and wireless_tools are included in this ISO, altough they are not part of the base group for now, for you to be able to connect to Wireless Internet connections but the packages are still considered experimental, please test those and report back!

Packages in this ISO:

bash 4.2-1
bzip2 1.0.6-1
ca-certificates 20130119-1
coreutils 8.19-1
curl 7.28.1-1
dcron 4.5-1
device-mapper 2.02.98-1
dhcpcd 5.6.6-1
dialog 1.1_20120706-1
diffutils 3.2-1
e2fsprogs 1.42.6-1
expat 2.1.0-1
file 5.12-1
filesystem 20130102-1
findutils 4.4.2-1
gawk 4.0.2-1
gcc 4.7.2-1
gdbm 1.10-1
gettext 0.18.1.1-1
glibc 2.16.0-1
gmp 5.0.5-1
grep 2.14-1
groff 1.21-1
grub 2.00-1
gzip 1.5-1
hwids 20130119-1
iana-etc 2.30-1
inetutils 1.9.1-1
initscripts 20130124-1
iproute2 3.5.1-1
jfsutils 1.1.15-1
kbd 1.15.3-1
kmod 12-1
less 444-1
libarchive 3.0.4-1
libnl 3.2.21-1
libpipeline 1.2.1-1
libssh2 1.4.2-1
licenses 2.9-1
linux 3.4.23-1
linux-api-headers 3.4.23-1
linux-firmware 20130124-1
lsd-live 20130124-1
lvm2 2.02.98-1
man-db 2.6.3-1
man-pages 3.42-1
mkinitcpio 0.12.0-1
mkinitcpio-busybox 1.20.2-1
ncurses 5.9-1
net-tools 1.60-1
openssl 1.0.1c-1
pacman 4.0.3-1
pacman-mirrorlist 20130109-1
pciutils 3.1.10-1
perl 5.16.2-1
procps 3.2.8-1
psmisc 22.19-1
readline 6.2-1
run-parts 4.3.4-1
sed 4.2.1-1
shadow 4.1.5.1-1
squashfs-tools 4.2-1
sysklogd 1.5-1
sysvinit 2.88-1
tar 1.26-1
tzdata 2012j-1
udev 195-1
util-linux 2.22.2-1
vim 7.3-1
which 2.20-1
wireless_tools 29-1
wpa_supplicant 2.0-1
xz 5.0.4-1
zlib 1.2.7-1

Download from here.
md5sum: adf7973777c081ad396d7903cc6b9491

Cheers!

Last edited by smil3y (2013-01-26 10:49:58)

#68 2013-01-26 10:38:06

seaelf

Hi smil3y
The download link has an extra 's' at the end:
https://bitbucket.org/smil3y/lsd-build/ … _2013.isos
I've just finished downloading and will give it a try....thanks

#69 2013-02-01 16:58:16

smil3y
Website

Consider this a Beta, but progress has been made. Changes from the latest Beta ISO announced:

• updated automake to 1.12.6

• updated bison to 2.6.5

• updated mpc to 1.0.1

• updated libpng to 1.5.14

• updated opera to 12.13

• updated man-pages to 3.46

• updated pkg-config to 0.28

• updated xorg-server to 1.13.2 and updated patches

• updated cairo to 1.12.10

• updated cirrus video driver to 1.5.2

• updated ati video driver to 7.1.0

• updated modesetting video driver to 0.6.0

• updated nouveau video driver to 1.0.6

• updated joystick input driver to 1.6.2

• updated synaptics input driver to 1.6.3

• added tumbler, gtksourceview, mousepad, xfce4-terminal, xfce4-power-manager, xfce4-appfinder, xfce4-notifyd, vte and libnotify

• updated bash fixes patch

• added librsvg-2.36.0-rsvg-view-automagic.patch

• PKGBUILDs cleanup and dependencies adjustments

• sudo adds 'sudo' group on installation

• adjusted alsa daemon script

Given the fact that this is Beta release feedback is more than welcome now! The Extra repository has entered Beta stage.

There is one thing you should know - people who test this release should report all issues encountered with packages from Core and Extra at the appropriate place, either at the sub-forums or at the issues trackers of the repositories at https://bitbucket.org/smil3y. After all issues had been addressed there will be third and final Beta release and if all goes well there will be a Stable release in no time.

Also, some tools/scripts had been written to help you with the packaging process. Sources at https://bitbucket.org/smil3y/lsd-tools, binary package in Core which is part of the devel group. A Wiki has been opened to help you getting started so be sure to check it out http://less-systemd-gnulinux.wikia.com/.

Packages in the Base ISO:

bash 4.2-1
bzip2 1.0.6-1
coreutils 8.19-1
curl 7.28.1-1
dcron 4.5-1
device-mapper 2.02.98-1
dhcpcd 5.6.6-1
dialog 1.1_20120706-1
diffutils 3.2-1
e2fsprogs 1.42.6-1
expat 2.1.0-1
file 5.12-1
filesystem 20130102-1
findutils 4.4.2-1
gawk 4.0.2-1
gcc 4.7.2-1
gdbm 1.10-1
gettext 0.18.1.1-1
glibc 2.16.0-1
gmp 5.0.5-1
grep 2.14-1
groff 1.21-1
grub 2.00-1
gzip 1.5-1
hwids 20130119-1
iana-etc 2.30-1
inetutils 1.9.1-1
initscripts 20130124-1
iproute2 3.5.1-1
jfsutils 1.1.15-1
kbd 1.15.3-1
kmod 12-1
less 444-1
libarchive 3.0.4-1
libnl 3.2.21-1
libpipeline 1.2.1-1
libssh2 1.4.2-1
licenses 2.9-1
linux 3.4.23-1
lsd-live 20130124-1
lvm2 2.02.98-1
man-db 2.6.3-1
man-pages 3.46-1
mkinitcpio 0.12.0-1
ncurses 5.9-1
net-tools 1.60-1
openssl 1.0.1c-1
pacman 4.0.3-1
pciutils 3.1.10-1
perl 5.16.2-1
procps 3.2.8-1
psmisc 22.19-1
readline 6.2-1
run-parts 4.3.4-1
sed 4.2.1-1
shadow 4.1.5.1-1
squashfs-tools 4.2-1
sysklogd 1.5-1
sysvinit 2.88-1
tar 1.26-1
tzdata 2012j-1
udev 195-1
util-linux 2.22.2-1
vim 7.3-1
which 2.20-1
wireless_tools 29-1
wpa_supplicant 2.0-1
xz 5.0.4-1
zlib 1.2.7-1

Packages in the XFCE4 ISO:

alsa-firmware 1.0.25-1
alsa-lib 1.0.26-1
alsa-plugins 1.0.26-1
alsa-utils 1.0.26-1
atk 2.6.0-1
bash 4.2-1
bzip2 1.0.6-1
cairo 1.12.10-1
coreutils 8.19-1
curl 7.28.1-1
dbus 1.6.8-1
dbus-glib 0.100-1
dcron 4.5-1
device-mapper 2.02.98-1
dhcpcd 5.6.6-1
dialog 1.1_20120706-1
diffutils 3.2-1
e2fsprogs 1.42.6-1
elementary-usu-icon-theme 8.0.7-1
exo 0.10.2-1
expat 2.1.0-1
file 5.12-1
filesystem 20130102-1
findutils 4.4.2-1
fontconfig 2.10.2-1
freetype2 2.4.11-1
garcon 0.2.0-1
gawk 4.0.2-1
gcc 4.7.2-1
gdbm 1.10-1
gdk-pixbuf 2.26.5-1
gettext 0.18.1.1-1
glib 2.34.3-1
glibc 2.16.0-1
gmp 5.0.5-1
gperf 3.0.4-1
grep 2.14-1
groff 1.21-1
grub 2.00-1
gtk-engines 2.20.2-1
gtk-xfce-engine 3.0.1-1
gtk2 2.24.14-1
gtksourceview 2.10.5-1
gzip 1.5-1
harfbuzz 0.9.9-1
hicolor-icon-theme 0.12-1
htop 1.0.2-1
hwids 20130119-1
iana-etc 2.30-1
inetutils 1.9.1-1
initscripts 20130124-1
iproute2 3.5.1-1
jfsutils 1.1.15-1
kbd 1.15.3-1
kmod 12-1
less 444-1
libarchive 3.0.4-1
libcroco 0.6.8-1
libdrm 2.4.40-1
libffi 3.0.11-1
libglade 2.6.4-1
libjpeg-turbo 1.2.1-1
libnl 3.2.21-1
libnotify 0.5.2-1
libpipeline 1.2.1-1
libpng 1.5.14-1
libpthread-stubs 0.3-1
librsvg 2.36.4-1
libssh2 1.4.2-1
libtiff 4.0.3-1
libwnck 2.30.7-1
libxau 1.0.7-1
libxcb 1.9-1
libxdmcp 1.1.1-1
libxfce4ui 4.10.0-1
libxfce4util 4.10.0-1
libxfcegui4 4.10.0-1
libxml2 2.8.0-1
licenses 2.9-1
linux 3.4.23-1
lsd-live 20130124-1
lvm2 2.02.98-1
man-db 2.6.3-1
man-pages 3.46-1
mesalib 9.0.2-1
mkinitcpio 0.12.0-1
mousepad 0.3.0-1
mtdev 1.1.3-1
ncurses 5.9-1
net-tools 1.60-1
openssl 1.0.1c-1
opera 12.13.1734-1
pacman 4.0.3-1
pango 1.32.5-1
pciutils 3.1.10-1
pcre 8.32-1
perl 5.16.2-1
pixman 0.28.2-1
procps 3.2.8-1
psmisc 22.19-1
readline 6.2-1
run-parts 4.3.4-1
sed 4.2.1-1
shadow 4.1.5.1-1
squashfs-tools 4.2-1
sudo 1.8.6.p5-1
sysklogd 1.5-1
sysvinit 2.88-1
tar 1.26-1
texinfo 4.13-1
thunar 1.6.2-1
tumbler 0.1.27-1
tzdata 2012j-1
udev 195-1
util-linux 2.22.2-1
vim 7.3-1
vte 0.28.2-1
which 2.20-1
wireless_tools 29-1
wpa_supplicant 2.0-1
xbitmaps 1.1.1-1
xcb-proto 1.8-1
xcb-util 0.3.9-1
xcursor-themes 1.0.3-1
xfce4-appfinder 4.10.0-1
xfce4-notifyd 0.2.2-1
xfce4-panel 4.10.0-1
xfce4-power-manager 1.2.0-1
xfce4-session 4.10.0-1
xfce4-settings 4.10.0-1
xfce4-terminal 0.6.1-1
xfconf 4.10.0-1
xfdesktop 4.10.0-1
xfwm4 4.10.0-1
xkeyboard-config 2.7-1
xorg-applications 1.13.2-1
xorg-fonts 1.13.2-1
xorg-input-drivers 1.13.2-1
xorg-libraries 1.13.2-1
xorg-server 1.13.2-1
xorg-video-drivers 1.13.2-1
xorg-xinit 1.3.2-1
xz 5.0.4-1
zlib 1.2.7-1

LSD_XFCE4_x86_64-01_02_2013.iso
LSD_XFCE4_x86_64-01_02_2013.iso
md5sum: e293e74ca422a57717e2a76fa24319f5

LSD_x86_64-01_02_2013.iso
LSD_x86_64-01_02_2013.iso
md5sum: 256cac35f2b20e5abb5f475d3a801d76

#70 2013-02-14 13:31:54

smil3y
Website

#71 2013-02-14 16:39:36

pablokal
Administrator
Website

Congratulations for continuing this effort!! Hope to test coming week.

Board footer