You are not logged in.

#1 2012-10-09 20:59:18

dano2781

Just an idea :::BSDbang:::

Its just an idea. What do you guys think if there could be a BSDbang based off of freeBSD possibly. ive played around with it. im no developer though i still have alot to learn when i find the free time. It may not be a good idea. Reason ive been playing around with the Idea is because I like the simplicity of FreeBSD and that used to be the same in arch. If it sounds silly I understand but its just a thought.

I started out as a bozo, but, now im a tester of sorts, I use arch and debian.

#2 2012-10-10 02:58:33

pablokal
Administrator
Website

Re: Just an idea :::BSDbang:::

I would like to see different people working on finding a good replacement for a Bang based on Arch.
Bang for me is the openbox environment and all stuff as basic and as clear and simple as possible.
It should be as easy  to maintain this system as AB was in its good days.
For me the alternative environment would ideally include the following features:
1. systemd free,
2. rolling release;
3. binaries, no need to build everything like in gentoo,
4. good dependency handling,
5. a good package manager
6. not the latest packages are needed but also not too slow updating of packages.
For me the only distro that comes to mind are the Debian Sid based rolling release distros like Siduction and aptosid.

But I would like to encourage everyone to try things out and report that in a new forum called "After Archbang"

Getting your questions answered here at ArchBang Forums
Please! Always give hardware info, if there is a chance that 's relevant: #lspci -vnn
On Arch(bang) and Openbox: http://stillstup.blogspot.com/

#3 2012-10-10 03:50:54

ArchVortex
Retired AB Overlord

I am currently working on a "SlackBang" with the LTS 3.2.29 smp and 3.6 kernel. Looking at maintaining a repo of up to date Openbox .txz packages that are up to Slackware standards. Hopefully I will have enough time to see this through and be able to maintain it.

GUI's?? We don't need no stinkin' GUI's!!!
ArchBang-OpenRC / Slackware / Gentoo / FreeBSD / HaikuOS

#4 2012-10-10 05:22:20

marxav

ArchVortex wrote:

I am currently working on a "SlackBang" with the LTS 3.2.29 smp and 3.6 kernel. Looking at maintaining a repo of up to date Openbox .txz packages that are up to Slackware standards. Hopefully I will have enough time to see this through and be able to maintain it.

I like that.  I was thinking of something like SlackOpen.  Slack for of course Slackware, Open for both Openbox and open in the sense of freedom.

#5 2012-10-10 05:42:02

Mr Green
^! Developer

"Have done an install of archbang while on a bus"

#6 2012-10-10 07:47:53

ArchVortex
Retired AB Overlord

Thanks for the link. I've done something similar but with only Openbox and Fluxbox desktops loaded and not all the KDE and XFCE packages. Inspired by our friend, Barnaby. http://all-things-linux.blogspot.co.uk/ … kbang.html

GUI's?? We don't need no stinkin' GUI's!!!
ArchBang-OpenRC / Slackware / Gentoo / FreeBSD / HaikuOS

#7 2012-10-10 08:12:57

scjet

imho:

The issue some might have with a BSDbang is "drivers".  sad

As bad as you may think wireless is on Linux, wireless on BSD can be a real pain.
If you've got ATI/Radeon's you're pretty well limited to VESA.  Nvidia is still the best for FreeBSD. But even that gets worse, becuase of those stupid nvidia-optimus technology, which is basically on all new laptops now. Intel-support on BSD is supposed to be getting better video-wise though.

I run a very generic PC for Free/OpenBSD (Nvidia 9800GT, stock Intel MB, .... (older, but extremely good quality) M-Audio soundcard with the envy24 chipsets ). You basically will have to buy/build your hardware around BSD, but thats only if you want a real good workstation.
http://openbox.org/wiki/Image:FreeBSD8. … 0x1050.png
http://openbox.org/wiki/Image:Openbox_O … 0x1050.png

Also, Linux, is much more forgiving, for "noob" Installations, depending on level of noobness.

Anyway, @dano2781, glad to here you're liking the *BSD's. They're always gonna be around.
, unless of course Apple keeps stealing away even more BSD-dev's for their MacOSX,...
wink

Last edited by scjet (2012-10-10 12:30:11)

The "BSD" things in life are "Free of Systemd" ! ..but who knows what could happen tomorrow ?

#8 2012-10-10 08:26:16

Mr Green
^! Developer

Nearest I have got to Slackware that I can think of is Slax, if we had webspace we could use as a repo then SlackBang could really work. Hosting isos is not a problem on sourceforge....

#9 2012-10-10 12:31:57

scjet

Ya, +1 for a SlackBang too, The more the merrier.
-atleast it has NO systemd, for awhile more.
smile

The "BSD" things in life are "Free of Systemd" ! ..but who knows what could happen tomorrow ?

#10 2012-10-10 12:42:21

marxav

scjet wrote:

smile

You are gonna have to put the maya calendar around your new avatar tongue

#11 2012-10-10 12:47:07

scjet

marxav wrote:
scjet wrote:

smile

You are gonna have to put the maya calendar around your new avatar tongue

Hi "marxav", Yes, I love my Ham and "Maya"naise sandwiches.
cool

#12 2012-10-10 20:32:59

dano2781

@Archvortex, I really like slackware. Slackbang is a great idea. @ scjet I think drivers are what Freebsd is lacking and for me ive tried pc-bsd I just dont like some of the extras it comes with. for me i dont need alot of the stuff. @pablokai I totally understand I need to check out aptosid and siduction.

Thanks for the input guys.

I started out as a bozo, but, now im a tester of sorts, I use arch and debian.

#13 2012-10-11 02:08:05

pablokal
Administrator
Website

It would be nice to see that happening; although Slackware doesn't meet  a lot on my wish list, I feel very sympathetic towards it and I understand it is rock solid.
I would like to see it with grub legacy as bootloader though as i had big problems with lilo in the past.

Please! Always give hardware info, if there is a chance that 's relevant: #lspci -vnn

#14 2012-10-11 02:19:50

mastis

How's the boot time of slackware? Is it slow as Debian or fast as Arch?

#15 2012-10-11 02:45:39

pablokal
Administrator
Website

Is it slow as Debian

I don't which Debian set up you use but my aptosid boot up is as fast as the Archbang boot up.
In fact after updating aptosid to kernel version 3.6.1 just now it is definitely faster.
Slackware will be slower, but we are  talking about seconds not minutes. The overall snappiness  of starting applications etc is much more important to me.

#16 2012-10-11 07:08:49

marxav

mastis wrote:

How's the boot time of slackware? Is it slow as Debian or fast as Arch?

With Slackware 14, my HP mini (with an SSD HD) boots to login prompt in about 12 secs.  My main desktop (brand new but lower end, don't have details here) boots to login prompt in about 15 sec.  Very reasonable in my opinion.  I don't use login manager.

#17 2012-10-11 09:27:41

mastis

I have been using Debian sid once or twice. It's slow as hell.  Thx for the answers.

#18 2012-10-11 10:50:59

xtremyst

pablokal wrote:

For me the alternative environment would ideally include the following features:
1. systemd free,
2. rolling release;
3. binaries, no need to build everything like in gentoo,
4. good dependency handling,
5. a good package manager
6. not the latest packages are needed but also not too slow updating of packages.
For me the only distro that comes to mind are the Debian Sid based rolling release distros like Siduction and aptosid

I agree 100% with pablokal. I think Aptosid has most of the things that made me love Arch so much
and i would like those characteristics on the next distro i'll use...Aptosid with openbox is a great idea.
Debian repos are great, this distro is rolling leightweight and fast,
and i think that it's much easier to maintain than a slackware based distro..

#19 2012-10-12 08:37:15

oliver
Administrator

getting back to the subject line, I think "bsdbang" is the only guarantee you'll have that something will be systemd free (since it's incompatible with non-linux kernels)

Some distros might say now that they won't be using it, but who knows what will happen in the future.... if Daniel Robbins could leave Gentoo then anything could happen.

#20 2012-11-16 21:03:23

lrcaballero
Website

Check-out the new release from GhostBSD 3.0 RC with Openbox......looks promising!

http://ghostbsd.org/

Cheers and enjoy!

Live, Enjoy and Share

#21 2012-11-16 22:37:27

handy

Disregard...

Last edited by handy (2012-11-17 06:20:10)

#22 2012-11-17 04:39:12

smil3y
Website

GNU/Linux does not stop you from doing stupid things, because that would also stop you from doing clever things.

#23 2012-11-17 05:46:28

pablokal
Administrator
Website

Interesting, Irca and smil3y...thanks.

#24 2012-11-17 06:19:07

handy

So many possibilities, certainly an Arch forum thread to keep an eye on.

#25 2012-11-17 06:33:58

smil3y
Website

handy wrote:

So many possibilities, certainly an Arch forum thread to keep an eye on.

Yep, I'm still wondering around and can't find one that fits my needs tough.

CRUX for an example is really what the LSD project was trying to achieve but I kind of don't like its pkgutils, if it was using package manager such as pacman I would strongly consider it.

Gentoo, too complicated altought it has some goodies like eselect, ebuilds look too complicated to me and I don't want to mess with those where I'm sure I will have to do it (who hasn't tried to make a package for a piece of software for himself these days?).

The Hadron project on the other hand is somewhere in the middle between Gentoo and Arch/GRUX taking the best from these projects but lpms (its package manager) can not be used with sandboxing on x86_64 architectures and messes up the host (glibc/gcc getting out of control during compilation deleting files on my host) is what is holding me back away from it.

There are other projects like Enlisy or even the BSDs but I haven't played with those yet.

Last edited by smil3y (2012-11-17 06:36:41)

GNU/Linux does not stop you from doing stupid things, because that would also stop you from doing clever things.

#26 2012-11-17 16:55:28

pablokal
Administrator
Website

Lets keep using this thread for discussing possible alternatives and our experiences with them...

#27 2012-11-17 23:33:46

lrcaballero
Website

pablokal wrote:

Lets keep using this thread for discussing possible alternatives and our experiences with them...

So I downloaded GhostBSD with Openbox...and still needs lots of work...wouldn't recognized my Wireless Card, WiFi Manager wouldn't response, No Conky/Tint2...but I still believe....we'll see! now I know why handy said to disregard.....(if he was refering to my replied of course???).

@smil3y

Have you seen the new distro based on CRUX....http://kwort.org/ with Openbox, I am downloading as I am writting this post, I will keep you posted...

Cheers and have a wonderful day.

Live, Enjoy and Share

#28 2012-11-18 01:28:20

Mr Green
^! Developer

bsd scripts based looks interesting

http://kwort.org/

Kwortbang anyone?

#29 2012-11-18 05:56:59

smil3y
Website

lrcaballero wrote:

Have you seen the new distro based on CRUX....http://kwort.org/ with Openbox, I am downloading as I am writting this post, I will keep you posted...

I did, I expected more from it.

Board footer