You are not logged in.

#1 2012-09-13 07:08:58

ArchVortex
Retired

Sabayon 10 (Sabayon X) is available now

For those wanting to run another rolling release that is non-systemd, the Sabayon 10 isos have been moved to mirrors before the official release this weekend. KDE, Gnome, Xfce and MATE are available.

http://tracker.sabayon.org/

Daily .isos are also always available on the regular mirror sites including LXDE, E17, BeagleBoard, PandaBoard , ARM, and HardenedServer

You have the capacity to learn from mistakes. You'll learn a lot today.
FP:E5F8 7DBA 8128 9ACB 75F7 7279 BE34 AB66 76D9 16DE
KEY ID:76D916DE
Currently running ArchBang / LFS / OpenSUSE Tumbleweed

#2 2012-09-13 14:11:59

ratcheer

Re: Sabayon 10 (Sabayon X) is available now

smile I am also running Sabayon 10. It and Siduction Linux are the two prime candidates to become my main distro.

Tim

Last edited by ratcheer (2012-09-13 14:12:14)

#3 2012-09-13 20:34:19

vrkalak
Website

Sabayon is already on version '10' . . . I first used Sabayon (Gnome) release back with version 4.0rc2

Last edited by vrkalak (2012-09-13 20:39:52)

#4 2012-09-14 09:05:56

scjet

Yes, I think 5.1 ? was the version i tried in '06/07 ? not sure, even though things started to break a bit, but I really liked it for awhile. My lack of "gentoo" knowledge 'caused me to give up.
But, "10" looks "very" polished indeed, with a massive amount of different ".iso's". -w00t. I'm trying out Sab 10 amd64 (Xfce), and it's a +1, so far.

However, a simple "pacman -Syu" after a fresh Arch-Netinstall still "trumps" all this schtuff: -> http://wiki.sabayon.org/index.php?title … t_to_do.3F

wink

Last edited by scjet (2012-09-14 09:45:39)

#5 2012-09-14 16:54:17

handy

I used Sabayon for a year or so after a regression in Ubuntu Edgy stopped me using Ubuntu. I did a delta upgrade with Sabayon which went fine, but the next upgrade had serious problems with my hardware so I moved on, must have been when I went to Gentoo briefly & then Arch for years.

Now I'm kind of homeless, taking shelter in Fedora(!) briefly...

I've been given another machine after saving the data off it (failed Vista) I expect I'll stick either Funtoo or Gentoo on it before too long & see what I think about compiling (most) everything after being spoiled by Arch for all these years. I expect I'll also have a look at ArchBang without systemd. I kind of feel just a little insecure about Arch or whatever distro that isn't using systemd, it is one of those things that come with not being able to see into the future...

Strangely I also feel a certain insecurity associated with using any distro that does use systemd.

I hope this virus gets killed.

[edit:] Sorry, I just realised that I infecting this thread with systemd.

Last edited by handy (2012-09-14 16:55:31)

#6 2012-09-15 05:52:55

ArchVortex
Retired

@handy, you should have a look at Calculate Linux if you want an easier install of Gentoo that can also use binaries as well as source. Just use the -b flag when choosing the binary version like:

# emerge -b foo

You can run Openbox on it and an excellently compiled version of oblogout can be added by adding the miramir layman from Funtoo Quebec.

#7 2012-09-15 05:57:02

handy

Thanks AV, I'll look into Calculate Linux, now. smile

#8 2012-09-16 00:28:22

ArchVortex
Retired

Oops, the oblogout package is on layman flora now. You'll need to add git to add layman overlays and then

# layman -a flora 

#9 2012-09-16 10:40:09

marxav

ArchVortex wrote:

You can run Openbox on it and an excellently compiled version of oblogout can be added by adding the miramir layman from Funtoo Quebec.

Isn't that interesting.  I live in Quebec and the first time I hear from Funtoo Quebec is from someone who lives in indonesia. smile

#10 2012-09-17 07:08:56

scjet

marxav wrote:
ArchVortex wrote:

Isn't that interesting.  I live in Quebec and the first time I hear from Funtoo Quebec is from someone who lives in indonesia. smile

Yes, agreed, and not only that but our ArchVortex can also say that in ALL these different languages:
http://bbs.archbang.org/viewtopic.php?pid=7197#p7197
cool  eh ?

#11 2012-09-17 07:37:40

handy

I had a look at the live Sabayon X / Xfce DVD, it is certainly nicely done. Too much there for me as it comes though. I might give the CoreCDX spin a go, building a system on top of its minimal beginnings & see if I like it. It is nice that Sabayon has gone rolling release since I last used it.

Last edited by handy (2012-09-17 07:38:40)

#12 2012-09-17 08:52:15

ArchVortex
Retired

@handy CoreCDX is what I've used in the past. You get fluxbox, xterm, no file manager and need an ethernet connection as there's no network manager or wicd.

#13 2012-09-17 10:17:19

marxav

scjet wrote:

Yes, agreed, and not only that but our ArchVortex can also say that in ALL these different languages:
http://bbs.archbang.org/viewtopic.php?pid=7197#p7197
cool  eh ?

Shit!!!  I though Javanese (fluent) was a typo.  Then I saw Japanese.  WTH is Javanese?  A Java derivative tongue

#14 2012-09-17 15:32:40

handy

ArchVortex wrote:

@handy CoreCDX is what I've used in the past. You get fluxbox, xterm, no file manager and need an ethernet connection as there's no network manager or wicd.

I've managed to avoid wireless thus far in my home use, so using wired ethernet & dhcp should at least make the internet connection automatic. Beyond that it will be up to me to deal with the new package management system (I'll run binary at this stage at least), & to learn a new configuration system after all those years using Arch - the old Arch Way...

[edit:] A good thing (imho) is that the CoreCDX includes X.org, whereas the older CoreCD (called SpinBase now) does not.

Last edited by handy (2012-09-17 17:09:15)

#15 2012-09-18 08:26:35

handy

@ArchVortex: I'm hoping that you may be able to offer some assistance?

I'm currently in the process of installing CoreCDX, I've got Openbox, Tint2, Firefox (plus the add-ons I use), Sakura, Leafpad, Geeqie, VLC, Worker, & some other packages. They don't all function at this stage, as dependencies are not taken care of as they are in Arch PKGBUILDs it would seem.

I certainly am ignorant of Sabayon these days, & I'm coming at it the hard way using CoreCDX, though at this point I'm enjoying it, it is much more my cup of tea than Fedora is. smile

I need to know how to find packages in the Sabayon repo's, my not being able to find the files I need easily caused me to use these three pages, though the 3rd one was used only for Worker:

https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Recommended_applications

http://packages.gentoo.org/categories/

http://packages.gentoo.org/arch/amd64

Rigo won't run as it seems to require missing icons? This is an example of the different way of handling dependencies I mentioned earlier.

Last edited by handy (2012-09-18 21:15:56)

#16 2012-09-18 17:20:49

handy

Is there a way on the command line to discover a packages dependencies in Sabayon?

If I have this information I should be pretty well set.

#17 2012-09-19 18:32:48

handy

I got no help anywhere on this lot, (I must have truly been showing my ignorance or something?) anyway, no matter.

I installed Xfce4 which bought in the missing dependencies so that everything works properly, with just a few minor bumps to sort out. I'll end up running Openbox/Tint2 with an auto-login & just let Xfce4 sit back there on the drive. It won't slow the system down & I have plenty of drive space.

I'll convert my main machine over from Fedora before long, so I can be further away from Red Hat's clutches... wink

#18 2012-09-20 06:27:17

scjet

marxav wrote:
ArchVortex wrote:

@marxav
sry to get even more off-topic here, but,

BTW, I've been up to Gatineau Park many times, I used to "bike" as far as I could, uphill -argh, puff, puff, (but that was many, many moons ago -LoL), not anymore. Now, we just drive 'n park up there, and enjoy the walks on the countless trails. Haven't been up there this year yet though.
Last time we went up there, my girlfriend got clipped bad by a "mountian-biker", but it was an honest accident.
Anyway, as you already probably know, It's beautiful ("C'est Beau"), up there, in the fall, nothing is quite as colorful as the "Gatineau Hills" in all of South-Eastern Quebec.
I won't miss Duh'Ottawa, but I'm definitely gonna miss the Gatineau's,...,  when we move. sad

Last edited by scjet (2012-09-20 07:07:54)

#19 2012-09-20 07:33:12

handy

Continuing off topic:

Are you into mountain biking scjet?

I've got into it over the past 6 months (after 20 years away from it) have a 29" Specalized Carve. I also have an old downhill bike (GT from 2006) which I use whenever my son-in-law invites me out for a ride.

We go down some tracks about 15 minutes away from where I live, we have permission to use the farmers private property. The best of the tracks allow you drive up a 4 wheel drive track where those that are riding take their bikes out of the back of the vehicle & its all down from there, the driver goes back the way he came in & if he's quick he'll beat the downhill bikes to the exit point on the road.

We take it in turns driving the car back down to pick up & go again. The worst of them have some horrible up hill sections. Made even more horrible due to the design of the downhill bikes; they are NOT meant to be ridden uphill, really not meant to be ridden on the flat either.

I can't believe the technological advances in push bikes that have happened in my life time. Our bikes mostly have 7" + of suspension front & rear!!! Not that mine needs it, I'm the slow one down hill. There is no way I'm falling off, I have too many past injuries to stir up. When I'm braking these guys are accelerating & sliding around corners. An iPhone app that uses GPS has clocked them at over 90k/hr going down these tracks. I'm too old for that.

Last edited by handy (2012-09-20 17:43:05)

#20 2012-09-20 13:03:30

marxav

LOL Let's continue off topic and off road a bit smile  I used to mountain bike a lot in Quebec city and around back in 1985-1990.  Mont St-Anne...  In those days, there was no chair lift to bring people up the mountain.  Things have changed.  And yes bikes used to be pretty heavy.  Now they have too many widgets. smile  I used to bike year round when in Chicoutimi, Quebec city and for a while here in Gatineau.

Yep Gatineau Park is nice, but I find it small... Anyway I did more rock climbing the traditional way more than anything else in this park.

I won't miss Duh'Ottawa, but I'm definitely gonna miss the Gatineau's,...,  when we move.

Where are you moving?  Closer to AV? lol

EDIT:
@scjet.  Nice avatar by the way.  I can see the devil in you big_smile

EDIT 2:
Ahhh now I see where it is from...

Last edited by marxav (2012-09-20 13:07:31)

#21 2012-09-20 15:42:20

scjet

marxav wrote:

Where are you moving?  Closer to AV? lol

EDIT:
@scjet.  Nice avatar by the way.  I can see the devil in you big_smile

EDIT 2:
Ahhh now I see where it is from...

I'm movin' about 1200 km's due South of Ottawa, to the ass-hole of Ontario. - Windsor.   Ha ha wink
Me and wifey, jusy need a change of pace now, we've been in Ottawa off n on for too long, I'm down to just some part time work around here, and well, yada yada, time to turn the page -so to speak.

Yea, avatar, I got my 'ole GreenBSD-Beastie avatar, that Mr. Green likes  wink, and now I got my very own Tux-Beastie. u're right, the devil made me do it.
EDIT: but I like them both.

Cool, So you guys @handy, and @marxav are still into M-Bikes, well, my old "Mongoose" bike has seen better days, but there ain't many hills like the Gatineau's around Windsor, Ont.. unfortunately, but I'll see when I get there.

Last edited by scjet (2012-09-20 17:01:33)

#22 2012-09-28 00:00:11

chris2kari

I'm only a Linux full time user since July. Bear with me.
From my perhaps naive end user perspective I regard software as the fuel for the engine for my computer.
I natuarally look for the most up to date versions of software naively assuming best features and least bug's.
Since in the Linux world it would seem we users are held hostage in repository ghetto's due to the developer anarchy coined 'dependancies are a good thing', I quickly formed an opinion that I wanted a distro which had the widest range of _up_to_date_ applications (and to a lesser extent core) software together with the easiest way to build my own packages as a last resort.

Tried Fedora - Bloated, Very nice installer, Impressively up to date repo's but too buggy & perpetual beta. Gosh a lot of proprietary stuff in there. Gnome3 DE is stupid.
Tried Debian - Crude installer, Out of date packages assembled by meglomaniacs. A lot political nonsense instead of getting on with the task at hand.
Tried Ubuntu - Appreciate the Pragmatic attitude to hardware support & mutimedia. Good installer. Bloated proprietary version of Debian. Unity DE is just terrible.

Tried lots of derivatives. Special mention goes to SolusOS, a respin of Debian Stable + Backports with the Mate DE. Very nice job but still problem of stale Debian packages.
At this point I realised I needed a slimmer Desktop with big up to date repo's and good help to build anything missing.

Slackware - basic but functional installer. Pretty snappy booter (despite being compiled for a 486 cpu.. WTF?) but the deal seems to be 'we give you a limited amount of out of date software (in the glorious name of stability) & it's totally up to you to deal with the mess of trying build/install anything else..' Ummmm, no thanks.. :-/
Scratch Slackware off the list.

Looked at Gentoo, excellent repo's but it's way to labour intensive to install on a limited time budget.
Which led me to Sabayon. I remember trying it years ago and found attenion to detail lacking & over hyped.
Sabayon 10 is now very polished & good attention to detail. Certainly up there with the best desktops in it's present edition.
I did find boot times longer than expected and generally not a terribly 'snappy' experience.
After tinkering I discovered that running prelink on it helped _tremendously_.
I learned the hard way Sabayon is _not_ Gentoo. Based on it certainly but not Gentoo. As soon as you try to search for & add application packages you quickly realise that the Sabayon repo's are separate. Trying to add stuff from Gentoo repo's using Portage is discussed but is frought with danger AFAIK.
Scratch Sabayon off the list..

Tried Arch, same deal as Gentoo, too labour intensive to get it up and running. The AUR is really _awesome_.
Thence, Bridge, Manjaro et al should be called broken..
Finally got to AB. Finally found nirvana or so I thought until the Arch dev's decided to put a wrecking ball through the distro.
I have it working again at the moment but I'm not expecting it to last before the next system borking change happens.

Whilst my AB install was borked for a long time (ahem, it's _finally_ working again) I continued my 'research' or should that be search..
Looking hard again at Gentoo now, whose board seems to act in a more mature way than the Arch dev's (who seem to justify systemd on 'it's shiny & everyone else is doing it').

I will investigate Calcualte this week. Seems like a polished professional distro that is true Gentoo. I plan to pull down the Xfce spin from their mirrors and install/use Openbox as my DE. It remains to be seen how it easy it will be to build/package missing app's for myself.

Anybody got any tips on which is the best distro for building/packaging?

#23 2012-09-28 03:11:23

pablokal
Administrator
Website

I find your evaluation of the diverse Osses too hasty and superficial. It seems to me that you miss the needed humbleness to realize that maybe some problems are related too your own way of running/maintaining your  system. Maybe your knowledge of the OS you are using is just too limited. I'm still using my first install of Archbang, that I installed directly when the project started in Winter 2010. Till now I have been able to install AB every time when I wanted to do it, without too much hassle. But this was only possible by constant research.
To be able to find solutions you need know where you have to look. Searching only becomes a hassle when you feel you are manoeuvring in the dark. Then you have to discipline yourself to study the basics again. Many new Linux users can't deliver the concentration needed for that.
I found that to be able to maintain a stable Linux system you  have to be careful and really have to get the grips of what you are doing. I spend two years to really get  to know Debian, and I'm still learning things about Arch as things are constantly evolving and changing.

Furthermore I think it is a very widespread misunderstanding that the latest version of software is always the best. Especially in the Arch repos you will regularly find temporarily deterioration of functionalities or other bugs.

The way you dismiss Debian I can't understand at all.
Tmho the Sid repositories are better in quality then the Arch repos. I find aptosid a great alternative to Arch and that will be my daily system when I'm finally fed up with all the things I don't like in the Arch community. It is running faster on my pc than AB. I came from Crunchbang to Achbang; I'm really into openbox. The new testing  iso of Waldorf is out (24 september) and also has the possibility to use the more cutting edge Sid repos.

Getting your questions answered here at ArchBang Forums
Please! Always give hardware info, if there is a chance that 's relevant: #lspci -vnn
On Arch(bang) and Openbox: http://stillstup.blogspot.com/

#24 2012-09-28 04:56:18

chris2kari

G'day Pablo! Yep it has been a whistle stop tour that's for sure hehehe smile
I agree with your observations on the whole. Just bear in mind everyone comes from a different perspective. Time is precious for me & whilst I love to research, there is a limit to what I can do. Thats why I appreciate the comments and mentorship of people such as yourself so much.

I did try Aptosid but in the short time I had it didnt grab me as particularly fast and it certainly was butt ugly. Im willing to go back & give it another try based on your recommendation though. Haven't tried #! but interested to have a look. AB gave me an appreciation for how good a well configured Openbox desktop can be. I will never go back to the bloat of KDE, Gnome or even Xfce for that matter. Just cant see the need for it.

As a post script I will mention that the developer of SolusOS has announced planning for a brand new distro using the PiSi packager from Pardus but repacking Debian packages with it. He claims it will ease his administrative burden as well as make it easier for end users to package up software. (I dont understand developers complaining that Debain packages are too patched..what does that mean?)

#25 2012-09-28 07:35:38

ArchVortex
Retired

I've been testing Debian Unstable for awhile now and only find the main difference between it and aptosid is that aptosid has a more up to date kernel and you don't need to change run levels to install packages like aptosid. When I ran aptosid it was just as bleeding edge as Arch and more stable.

I've been using Slackware since 1995 and will probably die using Slack (unless Pat and Eric have something tragic happen to them and systemd gets implemented). Running current repos keeps things as up to date as required and my current kernel is 3.2.29 smp.

I've been using Gentoo since 2002. Took what I learned from Slackware and installed Gentoo before there was a handbook. Flag usage, masking/unmasking, compiling, ebuilds.

Took what I learned from Slackware and Gentoo and have been running Arch for 6 years now.

chris2kari wrote:

Anybody got any tips on which is the best distro for building/packaging?

Slackware in my opinion.

Running cutting/bleeding distros requires time, research, experimentation, and application of learned knowledge to fix problems. If a user isn't going to put the time in to learn and apply then they should use Zorin or Mint or just go back to Windows. If you've been running Linux for only 3 months, my suggestion would be to run a more stable distro and set aside a 10 GB partition if you have the space to learn experiment, break stuff and fix it, and learn Linux inside out.

As you said you will try Calculate this week. It's a closer to real Gentoo overlay than Sabayon is and you can download binaries as well instead of compiling to save time. Something like

# emerge -bv firefox

will allow you to download the binary with the -b flag and see the installation verbosely with the -v flag. It actually may provide you with a stable enough cutting edge distro that you seem to be looking for. Boot up time will be similar to Sabayon and requires parallel loading, changing rc service run levels and prelinking to improve boot time.

#26 2012-09-28 08:00:00

ArchVortex
Retired

@marxav, I'm originally a Vancouver boy but have lived most of my adult life in Asia (Japan, Hong Kong, Macau, Singapore and Indonesia).

@handy, I'm so sorry I didn't see your posts on my "subscribe to this topic" or when logging in to Forums. You can see package dependencies at https://packages.sabayon.org/ or by using Rigo https://wiki.sabayon.org/index.php?title=Rigo

#27 2012-09-28 08:31:37

chris2kari

Thanks for your insights AV.

Now that I'm finally settling on one (or two) distro I'm sure I will absorb a lot more details & become a much more knowledgeable user.
Right now it looks like Calculate is the sweet spot for me for daily use followed closely by Crunchbang & Slack distant third, we'll see.
Got a lot of respect for Slack just don't have time right now to go down to that level of manual interaction so to speak.
Probably great fun to keep it on a 'learning' partition as you point out.
I would'nt waste my time with any other distro's.

One point I'd like to raise - all my machines are laptops/netbooks so newer kernels are highly desireable due to their apparently much better power management. Gosh some distros almost melt my poor core i5!

Last edited by chris2kari (2012-09-28 08:32:31)

#28 2012-09-28 09:11:26

oliver
Administrator

chris2kari wrote:

Got a lot of respect for Slack just don't have time right now to go down to that level of manual interaction so to speak.

Take a look at Zenwalk before you make final decision.

#29 2012-09-28 14:55:11

chris2kari

oliver wrote:

Take a look at Zenwalk before you make final decision.

Heheh sure, you never know I might become a total Slackhead yet smile

Looks ideal to me actually, if I could be self sufficient instead of relying on packagers to do all the work for me.
Very interested to see how good this Netpkg is.

I use Google services extensivley, shocked to see Chromium in their repo's at version 10.x.. I'm on 22.x
Surely Slack users are not that far behind..

Is distrowatch correct in saying Zenwak uses 2.6 series kernels???
That can't be correct!

Last edited by chris2kari (2012-09-28 15:03:43)

#30 2012-09-28 15:03:14

marxav

chris2kari wrote:

Is distrowatch correct in saying Zenwak uses 2.6 series kernels???
That can't be correct!

Browsing their database, they seem to have kernel-3.4.6-i486-1jp.txz.  Too bad their wiki link is broken.  I may have a look to their openbox version.

#31 2012-09-28 15:11:17

chris2kari

marxav wrote:

Browsing their database, they seem to have kernel-3.4.6-i486-1jp.txz.  Too bad their wiki link is broken.  I may have a look to their openbox version.

I wonder how many 486's still have electricity coursing through them? I would think the vast majority would have main board failures by now after all these years

#32 2012-09-28 17:05:45

handy

@AV: thanks, I found them eventually. The size of fonts on my browser pushed the "Packages" link out of view to the right in my early stages of looking into Sabayon. I stumbled across the page from elsewhere(?) but it wouldn't work (probably my not allowing cookies to it <doh!>) It is a very useful link.

I couldn't use Rigo, as I had a dependency problem... lol

@marvav: Have you had a look at that "Packages" page linked to at the top of the Sabayon main page?  There are 10,000 + packages I believe that are in binary format.

Plenty for me anyway... smile

Last edited by handy (2012-09-28 17:18:16)

#33 2012-09-28 18:37:19

ArchVortex
Retired

@chris2kari

I run ArchBang, Gentoo, Debian and Slackware on my 2 Asus 1215P netbooks (64 bit processor run as a 32 bit due to maximum 2GB RAM capacity) and CPU frequency scaling is my best friend. Adjusting frequency limitations and using the right frequency driver and governor will make a huge difference to heat output and stop possible kernel panics. Packages like cpupower, cpufrequtils and cpufreqd are your best friend when using netbooks.

#34 2012-09-29 05:10:54

Opanos

You can check dependencies with equo

su..

equo update
equo deptest && equo libtest

#35 2012-09-29 14:15:29

marxav

@Handy.  Nope haven't looked really at Sabayon.  I am simply contemplating upgrading Slackware 13.37 to 14 to see how that goes and might give a try to Zenwalk since Oliver brought it up...  Plus I am giving i3wm a try and kind of like it so far so that is as much as I can support at the moment.

#36 2012-09-29 17:50:17

handy

@marvax: Perhaps it comes down to the hardware being used; Sabayon X. boots a little slower than Arch or Fedora, but it is not noticeably slower than them for my usage at least. I'm running Openbox on Sabayon, & using Fedora LXDE/Openbox (which is lighter & faster than the other Fedora DE installs. (Fedora will be replaced by Sabayon when I feel like spending the time to do it.)

#37 2012-09-30 19:56:31

chris2kari

ArchVortex wrote:

@chris2kari I run ArchBang, Gentoo, Debian and Slackware on my 2 Asus 1215P netbooks (64 bit processor run as a 32 bit due to maximum 2GB RAM capacity) and CPU frequency scaling is my best friend. Adjusting frequency limitations and using the right frequency driver and governor will make a huge difference to heat output and stop possible kernel panics. Packages like cpupower, cpufrequtils and cpufreqd are your best friend when using netbooks.

Yep I'm familliar with those thanks AV. They make a big difference on non desktop machines. I have three machines to play with, an i5 2.4Ghz toshiba with 4gb ram a compaq 1.9ghz celeron with 2gb ram & a hp mini 110 with 1.6ghz atom 2gb ram. The compaq & toshiba perform identically in Linux. The only time the toshiba is noticeably faster is video encoding etc.
Strangley my award for hottest running kernel goes to stock Fedora 17 on my core i5 laptop. Phew! the poor machine was stopping with kernel panics after an hour or so of light usage uncomfortably hot on the palm rests. Stock Sabayon runs cool I note.
When I get time this week I have Calculate/Crunchbang/Zenwalk to review.
I see the just released Slackware 14 is impressively up to date with the latest Xfce 4.10 - that may be just the ticket to strip back to an Openbox DE then build what's missing (I've discovered http://slackbuilds.org/)

Been away with the kids at Seaworld & Movie world on the Gold coast this week end.
When we are not here we are back in Manila.
You & I are almost neighbors globally speaking hehehe smile
Thanks for your comments.
I'll let you know how it goes.

Cheers
Chris

Last edited by chris2kari (2012-10-01 00:44:25)

#38 2012-11-19 12:21:09

s.berlin

sabayon is a very shiny and cool distro, but... 

I have tried sabayon 7,8 and 9 and i was really surprized,
about the system because this is a r.-r. distro on a gentoo  base (without compiling ;-)  !!!)
that is very handy for me to use!!!

the only thing that let me out  of sabayon
is the verry slow download and update speed that i can´t
speed up :-(((
my internet comes about a hspa o2 surfstick ( with 7,2Mbits downlod )
and that is a pain because of the tons of   updates in sabayon :-(((

it is a very shiny distro and if any one of you
had figured out

how to

speed up the download & update speed,

so let me know how

and i will give it a bigger try ( :-)))  ! )

( then it can become my main distro :-))) !!! )

every help will be app...... !

thank you!!!

l.g. s.berlin

sorry for my bad englisch :-)))  !!!

#39 2012-11-19 16:27:26

handy

Are you using the binary upgrade or compiling your packages, as you can go either way?

Apart from that, the Sabayon forum is great, you really should be asking about this problem there, for all the obvious reasons.

Last edited by handy (2012-11-19 16:28:42)

#40 2012-11-19 22:03:43

s.berlin

hy, handy .

both .-)
but the compiling / installing bin. time is very o.k.
i wanted to figure out  the speed of the network is in both szenarios about
100 kbits !
i  have tested that on dsl 16 mbit but that was the same.
thank you for your advice,
l.g. s.berlin

Board footer