You are not logged in.

#1 2012-08-27 23:49:32

packetloss

How to create desktop files

How are you supposed to create desktop files so that openbox-menu will include them?

#2 2012-08-28 06:45:30

mike4ca
Happy (Arch|Manjaro)[B,b]ang User

Re: How to create desktop files

Did you search the forums for this?  I am sure I have seen this question a few times.  I recall a common response pointed to the OpenBox website.  Please search some more, if you can't find the answer please let us know.

Free Software Foundation member 10865

#3 2012-08-28 12:57:21

packetloss

Yeah, I searched here. I have also googled and duckduckgo'ed. I'm sure the info is there, but it's buried in a sea of information. Besides the fact that I have several issues I'm trying to work out at the moment I don't really have the time to read through ten links to find the one that actually answers my question. If you've seen it addressed maybe you remember how it was titled and you could give me a hint or link one of the threads if possible. I know it's tiring to see the same stuff asked time after time, but in all the years I've been on different boards I've never seen one where a question was just asked once, then never again. Generally people who know things enjoy teaching people who want to learn. Oliver has been very patient and helpful helping me get my lts kernel up and running. I was hoping some OpenBox guru would be around and be able to nutshell it for me.

#4 2012-08-28 21:26:00

mike4ca

looked around, but could not find it tonight.  Hopefully someone who has done it before will notice  this topic and speak up.  Otherwise I will keep my eye out for it.  Sometimes it takes a day of two of processing in my head to remember where I saw it.

#5 2012-08-28 21:33:28

packetloss

Thaks a lot! I'll be looking as well.

#6 2012-08-30 11:32:59

mike4ca

I completely misread the original request.  You were asking about .desktop files in /usr/share/applications correct?  Or maybe you know them as .desktop files and didn't know where to put them.  I am at work (lunch) stuck on my Windows computer, but I recall the files should be placed in /usr/share/applications folder and the pipemenu used for OpenBox will recognize them.  Note, I noticed on my install I have to right click for the menu 2 times before a new application shows up.

To create a new file, just use a text editor or copy/modify another existing file.  I assume you need to be root.

Since I miss understood the question once already, please let me know if this is the help you need(ed).

#7 2012-09-07 02:08:42

jsscahinds

The .desktop file fills two primary functions: first, it informs the desktop environment how the file is to be handled by the desktop environment with regard to menu placement, display, environmental variables, and similar. In this function, it resides globally in /usr/share/applications/ and for specific users in $HOME/.local/applications. The second function is the direct shortcut on the desktop itself. In this function, it resides in $HOME/Desktop. The same file fills both functions, so if you want to have an application both in the menu and on your desktop, you’ll need to put the .desktop file in two places.

no commerical links are allowed on these forums

#8 2012-09-07 02:52:13

pablokal
Administrator
Website

Thanks jsscahinds.
We don't allow commercial links on our forum; so the link was removed.

Getting your questions answered here at ArchBang Forums
Please! Always give hardware info, if there is a chance that 's relevant: #lspci -vnn
On Arch(bang) and Openbox: http://stillstup.blogspot.com/

Board footer