You are not logged in.

#1 2012-08-22 20:13:22

handy

Fedora 17. LXDE/Openbox

I was prompted to install Fedora due to the shit-fight I had moving from grub_legacy to grub on my UEFI motherboard equipped Arch system.

At this point I have Fedora 17 LXDE/Openbox, just about the way I want it to be. Which is much the same as I had Arch set up - except Fedora & LXDE are underneath my Openbox, Tint2, Worker, Sakura, Firefox front end. (The last three are all opening on their respective desktops as per usual.) smile

The installation was certainly quick & easy compared to that of setting up Arch (current Arch.iso fails very early on this machine with or without GPT). Although I had to delete all of the partitions on the drive & start again due to being stuck between the non-GPT & the GPT worlds! (No ones fault but my own really.)

I've found many things to do with the set up & running of the system to be very smooth, polished & well integrated. Of course it is not perfect. After having used Arch for ~4.5 years I find the package management to be really quite clumsy. If I had not been using Arch for that time I would have almost no complaints in that regard. I think that Fedora is not really built to be customised a great deal by the end user. I wanted to stop lxpanel from functioning, the only way I could come up with was to delete it. In so doing yum told me that lxde-common was a dependency & I would have to delete it also. So I did, which crippled the entire desktop to the point that I did a quick reinstall, which was no great problem as I had created a separate /home partition keeping my ~/.config/* , ~/.mozilla/* & all the other files stored on /home saving me from having to duplicate much of my previous system customisation.

To get around the lxpanel problem I renamed the lxpanel config files in both ~/.config/lxpanel & in /usr/share/... though the /usr/share/... ones are really all that matters to this end.

[edit:] In my mucking about I just discovered the /etc/xdg/lxsession/LXDE/autostart  file, which looks like the place where you can turn on/off (edit out with a hash "#") at least some of the LXDE autonomous modules (pcmanfm seems to be needed by LXDE):

@lxpanel --profile LXDE
@pcmanfm --desktop --profile LXDE
@xscreensaver -no-splash

[/edit]

LXTerminal seemed like a fine lightweight tool for the job, it has tabs & you can use the mouse &/or keyboard shortcuts within it, BUT it wouldn't function with Worker. e.g. it wouldn't display the output from Lm-sensors, Powertop, scrot, couldn't start an su worker & so on. So I installed Sakura & everything works as it should. smile 

My AMD Radeon 6450 graphics card was automatically set up to run on Gallium at 1920 x 1200 res'! Obviously Gallium has advanced since last I tried to get it to recognise this card (~7 months ago). Though at the moment Gallium is running like a dog = 60fps in glxgears, but movies play fine, so I'll live with it until they fix it.

Setting up the machine to be an NFS client was just a matter of entering the same three lines I used in the Arch fstab & creating the directories in /mnt. I could have set up automount but really I couldn't be bothered. As it stands, the only way setting up an NFS client could be any easier is if it just worked, which of course is the last step & only a matter of time.

I found LXDE to be very easy to configure (apart from the lxpanel incident, which if I was su I'm sure I could have turned lxpanel off via menu) when a config file edit is required they couldn't be easier (thus far anyway). I've set LXDE so that Openbox autostarts, no login required.

With Openbox & Tint2 running, I wouldn't know that LXDE is even there. The clever Openbox menu automatically displays newly installed apps in the correct place. The tray items that were running in lxpanel came to live in the Tint2 tray when lxpanel was disabled, which is nice; I'm only using PNMixer (sound) & the NetworkManager (which I probably don't need) applets.

I'll be interested to see how long it takes me to get sick of all of the extra stuff that is installed on this lightweight Fedora LXDE/Openbox system, or the previously mentioned relatively slow & clumsy systems for package management (Arch really is a tough act to follow in that regard).

As far as my day to day computer usage goes (not many days yet) it really is very much the same to look at & use as when I was using Arch. (It was great to be able to just copy from my backup of the relevant config files.) The boot & poweroff speeds are at least as fast (faster I think) as my Arch system was, which is a real surprise.

I gave up distro hopping when I found Arch ~4.5 years ago. Since then I've only installed Fuduntu, Mint-6 Xfce & Haiku (which I like to keep an eye on), I have to say that these pre-configured distros really have come a long way since the days when I was running Ubuntu. (thankfully)

[edit:] From my brief investigation, it would seem that conky isn't happy playing with pcmanfm controlling the desktop (even if it is under Openbox!). Hopefully I'll find a solution to that one.

[edit2:] You can't delete ConsoleKit as it is integral to the way LXDE is set up.

Last edited by handy (2012-08-23 18:10:26)

#2 2012-08-23 13:49:05

pablokal
Administrator
Website

Re: Fedora 17. LXDE/Openbox

Thanks for your review.

Getting your questions answered here at ArchBang Forums
Please! Always give hardware info, if there is a chance that 's relevant: #lspci -vnn
On Arch(bang) and Openbox: http://stillstup.blogspot.com/

#3 2012-08-23 14:48:52

scjet

Re: Fedora 17. LXDE/Openbox

Thanks for sharing this.
and from what you've liked so far about Fedora, you might like CentOS even better, stabililty-wise, if you happen to be trying other simmilar distro's,...?

The "BSD" things in life are "Free of Systemd" !

Board footer