You are not logged in.

#1 2012-03-26 13:31:09

pablokal
Administrator
Website

A few ways to deal with the grub 17 and grub 15 error

Warning: this isn't a complete  documentation on  why grub errors can come about.

This is only something that I learned from solving a very specific situation; I post it here because it can help others on the way.

I installed the March Archbang iso today on a old pc and all went very well regarding Archbang but there were two grub errors, first error 17.
I was replacing an older Arch installation that I hadn't updated in more then a year but functioned flawlessly. The grub error 17 was a result of a changed partition table.
This change was caused by  the partitioning for the installation.
How to fix that is clearly described here: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/GRUB#GRUB_Error_17 .
But after doing that my problems weren't over.

The only change was that error 17 was now replaced by error 15.

An innocent suspect:
The renaming of the booting items issue led to numerous grub 15 questions on the Arch forums: Solution

Modify /boot/grub/menu.lst so vmlinuz26 is vmlinuz-linux, kernel26.img is initramfs-linux.img and kernel26-fallback.img is initramfs-linux-fallback.img

But this was not the problem in my case;
I changed two aspects of my /boot/grub/menu.lst.
The reason this sort of problems is difficult to solve is that there are so many scenarios people use regarding making a dedicated booting partition or not, how the root folder is designated in /etc/fstab.
Anyway in etc/fstab my root partition was designated by the UUid that you can find by typing in the terminal

blkid

Changing

kernel /boot/vmlinuz-linux root=/dev/sda6 ro

to

kernel /boot/vmlinuz-linux root=/dev/disk/by-uuid/xxx6840d-8769-41f4-xxxxxx ro

was one part of the solution.  If in the fstab /dev/sda6 was mentioned I would have had to change the menu.lst to sda6; what I conclude is that naming should be identical in fstab and  menu.lst.

Second issue
Use an absolute path to vmlinuz and initramfs.img

The fact that I don't use a separate boot partition means I had to change the default

kernel /vmlinuz-linux root=/dev/disk/by-uuid/xxx ro
    initrd /initramfs-linux.img

to

kernel /boot/vmlinuz-linux root=/dev/disk/by-uuid/xxx ro
    initrd /boot/initramfs-linux.img

Both solutions seem fairly obvious and logical but you have to think of it.

There are a lot more reasons why you can get the error 15; forgetting to add the "ro" at the back of the line for example, but maybe somebody can use what I wrote here.

Getting your questions answered here at ArchBang Forums
Please! Always give hardware info, if there is a chance that 's relevant: #lspci -vnn
On Arch(bang) and Openbox: http://stillstup.blogspot.com/

#2 2012-03-26 14:02:16

Mr Green
Administrator

Re: A few ways to deal with the grub 17 and grub 15 error

Did you install grub via abinstall? it sounds like old menu.lst was left on your old pc.

If you used old menu.lst then yes you have to change blkid and kernel names.

When I started to read post I thought there was a problem with March iso smile

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/GRUB#GRUB_Error_17

Comments, suggestions please feel free to contact me mrgreen(at)archbang(dot)org

Board footer