A new Arch based distro.

http://manjarolinux.org/index.html

Downloading now... cool

#2 2011-07-10 10:03:34

ArchVortex
Retired AB Overlord

Re: Manjaro Linux

ancleessen4,

Thanks for posting that. Interesting but not fan of XFCE. Did you know you can make your own customised Arch with XFCE iso with poison-livecd-creator in AUR?

GUI's?? We don't need no stinkin' GUI's!!!
ArchBang-OpenRC / Slackware / Gentoo / FreeBSD / HaikuOS

#3 2011-07-10 10:12:46

ArchVortex
Retired AB Overlord

Wow! It's very......um.....green smile

#4 2011-07-10 13:29:09

pablokal
Administrator
Website

First impression: I don't feel inclined to try or use this one.
Not because the not so nice colour but because to total lack of explication of what is the distro's content, aims and what the special choices for this distro are. And no forum?! But maybe I am too harsh for these first beginnings.

Manjaroo at the Arch forum: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=122350
About the automatic xorg script: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=112363

The manjaro installer is their own creation and xorg script, manjaro -grub2-theme.

The focus seems to be easy install and their own distinct looks.

Getting your questions answered here at ArchBang Forums
Please! Always give hardware info, if there is a chance that 's relevant: #lspci -vnn
On Arch(bang) and Openbox: http://stillstup.blogspot.com/

#5 2011-09-24 13:41:03

archy

pablokal wrote:

maybe I am too harsh for these first beginnings

Yep! bet u ass...

Last edited by archy (2011-09-24 13:41:22)

#6 2011-09-24 14:33:42

pablokal
Administrator
Website

Reading about this distro again I found a reason why the nvidia drivers shouldn't be shipped with AB:
https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php … 62#p984562

Getting your questions answered here at ArchBang Forums
Please! Always give hardware info, if there is a chance that 's relevant: #lspci -vnn
On Arch(bang) and Openbox: http://stillstup.blogspot.com/

#7 2011-09-25 00:43:56

Mr Green
^! Developer

archvortex wrote:

Wow! It's very......um.....green smile

Nothing wrong with that! wink

No I do not like Xfarce and look at the size of iso its practically a dvd

#8 2011-09-25 03:51:29

ArchVortex
Retired AB Overlord

Hahaha!! Yes, nothing wrong with green. They've toned down the colours on the website since I've last visited.

I would imagine the .iso would have to be that size with XFCE and whatever goodies is packed with it. I laugh when I hear XFCE still being called a lightweight desktop. One only has to see the comparisons test at Phoronix done in March 2010 with a developmental Ubuntu 10.04. I would think that XFCE 4.8 is bigger and more robust now than the 4.6.1 used in the test.

#9 2011-09-26 08:34:02

archy

u people should put it on http://distrowatch.com/ and maybe would be an success! although i doub it...cause people just only think on win$UCK$...

#10 2011-09-26 19:00:16

cuervo

I think Manjaro Linux has a bright future ahead of it. It installed and ran without issues on another laptop of mine. Definitely a prime example for Arch+XFCE. Not sure about XFCE being so lightweight anymore myself, but XFCE on Debian Sid, LMDE, Slackware, and Manjaro Linux was always really fast for me. In fact it was really close in terms of perceptible speed to Openbox. But the days of distro and DE hopping are done with, and nothing beats Archbang with Openbox. wink

The more man meditates upon good thoughts, the better will be his world and the world at large.- Confucius

#11 2012-01-08 10:27:30

r00tH4cK3r
Website

I know that reviews on this new Distro is mixed, but I feel I should touch base on a few pros and cons. You see, I am known on my site as a Linux Guru. I do reviews of Distros that I try, rather I personally like them or not. I, having a desktop that runs Manjaro (laptop runs Archbang), I feel that I should perhaps discuss it from a user's prospective.

As far as the Desktop Environment goes, it of course is XFCE. Usually, I am not the biggest fan of XFCE, as I find its usage footprint to be a bit more than the creators of the desktop environment claim. However, I was able to find a happy medium with it, after modifying the appearance a bit. I was able to give it an appearance that I could live with.

The update process, at first, is slightly drawn out but that is only because the flavor is still in its beginning faze. If you follow the update instructions you wont have an issue, and, after the first initial update, everything runs as it would normally run on an Arch System, as far as the command line goes.

Also, I was able to access the AUR repository, and successfully install applications from it. Manjaro currently does not use Arch repositories, it has its own, but seems to be fully compatible with Arch software and of course the Arch repositories.

Basically, if your an Arch lover like me, and you can tollerate the XFCE GUI (be it modified or not), then you should surely give it a try. As stated previously, my desktop currently runs it, and even on the older hardware that my desktop has it runs like a dream.

Arch Rules!

#12 2012-01-08 22:01:05

mike4ca
Happy (Arch|Manjaro)[B,b]ang User

@r00tH4cK3r: Do you intend your posts to be bold? Or is that just how it is coming through from your system?  If it is intentional, why?  I am not trying to be rude, but it sticks out like a sore thumb for me.

Free Software Foundation member 10865

#13 2012-01-09 01:11:39

ArchVortex
Retired AB Overlord

It should be fast because it's not layered on top of Gnome. Calculate Linux with Xfce is fast and has a low memory footprint (lower than ArchBang) because it's only Xfce and Gentoo. Xfce is slow and labors along with a bigger memory footprint when it's layered on top of Gnome like in some of the Bumtu based distros.

#14 2012-01-09 08:12:26

r00tH4cK3r
Website

mike4ca wrote:

@r00tH4cK3r: Do you intend your posts to be bold? Or is that just how it is coming through from your system?  If it is intentional, why?  I am not trying to be rude, but it sticks out like a sore thumb for me.

Sorry about that. Typing in bold is kind of an obsessive habit of mine because I have bad vision and can see my typos and read better that way.

@admin:

Agreed. In my experience, I find that gnome doesn't match Arch very well. Maybe that is just my personal opinion. Like take Kahel OS for example. It is Arch with gnome 3.2. In that flavor, you have to have a lot of ram for it to run smoothly. This laptop has 2GB of ram and it was still laggy, so the ram usage footprint was huge. On top of all that, gnome 3.2 didn't have much customization potential. I had to install LXDE on top of it just for it to be managable. On top of all that, you should not try that one unless you want to wipe your entire drive and start over, as their installer does not include a partition-er.

Anyways I digress. I rather like Manjaro for the desktop. My desktop runs Manjaro as good as this laptop runs Arch bang. I am unsure as to the exact reason behind Arch bang's kernel panic on my desktop, but Manjaro does not have that error. And, it seemed to be isolated to that PC as this laptop runs it VERY nicely.

Honestly, I am weary of the gnome interface in general. I find that a large percentage of the flavors use the gnome base, or a modified version of it. I have tried a dozens of flavors...and too many of them had gnome. Personally, Openbox, Awesome, LXDE and XFCE are my deskop environments of choice. Gnome, in my opinion, is too weighed down by unneeded software and tools. Don't get me started on KDE lol....I loath KDE

Last edited by r00tH4cK3r (2012-01-09 08:14:29)

Arch Rules!

#15 2012-01-09 08:23:15

Mr Green
^! Developer

@rootH4ck3r Write your posts in an editor that is set up for you until you are happy then copy and paste.... smile

#16 2012-01-09 08:42:25

mike4ca
Happy (Arch|Manjaro)[B,b]ang User

Sorry to hear that your vision is poor.  I figured there was a legit reason.  I didn't want to be a j**k about it without knowing why.

You may already know this, but in case you had not seen it... if using Firefox you can go to Tools - Options.  On the Content tab there is a font section.  You can make the font bigger there.  There is also an Advanced button.  Within the Advanced window there are more options including one called minimum font size.  I set that higher.  It is making everything on my browser big.  I haven't looked for it on Chromium yet. 

Let us know if you need any other help, maybe we can move the discussion to a new thread and/or add a wiki on improving the desktop for better viewing.

Free Software Foundation member 10865

#17 2012-01-09 10:30:23

r00tH4cK3r
Website

mike4ca wrote:

Sorry to hear that your vision is poor.  I figured there was a legit reason.  I didn't want to be a j**k about it without knowing why.

You may already know this, but in case you had not seen it... if using Firefox you can go to Tools - Options.  On the Content tab there is a font section.  You can make the font bigger there.  There is also an Advanced button.  Within the Advanced window there are more options including one called minimum font size.  I set that higher.  It is making everything on my browser big.  I haven't looked for it on Chromium yet. 

Let us know if you need any other help, maybe we can move the discussion to a new thread and/or add a wiki on improving the desktop for better viewing.

Thank you for your understanding. Yes I am aware of those settings. I have adjusted the font, and also zoomed the page in a little. You see, I am far sited and cannot see much of anything up close unless the color is dark, or the font large. I have extreme far sited vision and bad astigmatism, so I apologize for bolding my text before. I did not consider that it might be bothersome to any users here, which I should have, after all people who have good vision actually have issue with the bold. As far as improving the visual side of things, it would be nice if there was a way to change font size and color on everything and not just the general stuff like web browsers.

As far as discussions here go, I feel I have finally found a place where I can discuss certain aspects of my favorite flavor, Arch, and the different user interfaces people install in it. So in the future, if there is anything I can do to improve posts made by myself, or the layout of those posts, I am not one who hates criticism, and will gladly take any suggestions made by members. Thank you for understanding.

Arch Rules!

Board footer