You are not logged in.

#1 2011-05-29 15:05:34

Nahlidge

ArchBang Live Disc (USB)

I suppose this is the right forum to ask my questions, as the title states its about the Live Disc (USB) and not the install itself.

I've installed ArchBang on about 10 different computers: quick and easy install without the video driver headaches with Arch.
(Though Arch is my OS of Choice, I like this distro as well. Not only is it quick, slim and awesome: it looks nice, too.)

My issue is copying the ArchBang.iso to a USB Drive. I have successfully copied it to a few USB drives using the following:
sudo dd if=archbang.iso of=/dev/sdx bs=8. It boots and runs smoothly.

What I'm trying to accomplish is: I have a 4GB USB Drive that I dd'd this to, and it left me with 2.7GB of space to do whatever on.
Then I have an 8GB USB drive that I dd'd this to, and it still left me with 2.7GB of space to do whatever on.

How do I go about using the full 8GB of the USB drive? (and yes, I know it's more like 6 or so GB)

I tried unetbootin, but it refuses to boot the live cd (USB), period. And considering this 8GB USB drive will be used for when I get
on other pc's (to do whatever) I'd rather have access to that extra 6GB of space so I can download things to it (pictures, songs,
documents, so forth) while I'm still in the usb. Especially if I don't have access to a hard drive.

Is there a way, with dd, to put the ArchBang.iso on the 8GB Usb Drive and still have access to 6GB+ of the space?
Or is there another method (besides unetbootin (which apparently doesn't work)) that will allow me to accomplish the above?

Thanks for taking the time to read my post.
I hope someone will be able to assist me with this issue.

#2 2011-05-29 15:32:04

once

Re: ArchBang Live Disc (USB)

maybe try to partition your usb-stick into 2g & 6g first ?

#3 2011-05-30 03:21:03

ArchVortex
Retired AB Overlord

I just did a test install with ArchBang on a work computer using unetbootin on a partitioned 4GB stick to replicate your problem and no problems on my side. Hmmm? What OS are you using with unetbootin to make the usb stick? I made the stick on Arch. I also had problems before trying to install Ubuntu spins on computers using FoxConn but no problems with ArchBang.   

I also agree with Once. Partition the stick first. If anything pops to mind to help I'll post again.

GUI's?? We don't need no stinkin' GUI's!!!
ArchBang-OpenRC / Slackware / Gentoo / FreeBSD / HaikuOS

#4 2011-05-31 20:43:32

Nahlidge

I'm using ArchBang (installed on HDD (updated as of an hour ago)).

I used Gparted to partition the USB stick (600MB for ArchBang, the rest for Fat32 (and tried NTFS)).
I then used unetbootin to copy the .iso onto the USB stick (/dev/sdf1 for the 600MB partition).
Once it was finished, I used Gparted to set the 'boot' flag, to hopefully make sure it booted.

I then restart after safely removing the USB stick, and it booted into the stick but instead of showing
the usual ArchBang boot logo screen, it dumped me to a ramfs command line.

As I stated in my first post, 'dd' works perfect except that it doesn't allow me to use the extra space.
And I have absolutely no idea why unetbootin isn't working.

If it matters, I'm using an asus m2n-mx se plus motherboard.

Note: I grabbed unetbootin from the repos, pacman -S unetbootin. I don't think that matters, or does it?

#5 2011-05-31 21:20:11

once

why not use 'dd' to /dev/sdf1 ? if it space enough.

#6 2011-06-01 02:39:46

ArchVortex
Retired AB Overlord

Just tried to load ArchBang again with unetbootin and got the lovely 

/bin/sh: cant access tty; job control turned off 

which has happened before with other distros and unetbootin but not with discs. I remember having problems with Arch 2010.05 and unetbootin and had to directly dd to a flashdrive or just use disks.

Have you tried using Archboot?

#7 2011-06-02 21:35:39

ArchVortex
Retired AB Overlord

Nahlidge,

Have you seen brain0's blog? Arch Linux USB Install

#8 2011-06-06 15:17:24

Nahlidge

archvortex: I'm not gonna lie, Archboot confused the hell out of me, lol.

I've tried brain0's method on four different usb drives and five different computers: no luck.

I suppose I'll just continue using two flash drives (2-4GB for ArchBang and 8-16GB for an ntfs partiion).

Thanks for the help/ideas, though. Much appreciated!

#9 2011-06-06 21:39:21

ArchVortex
Retired AB Overlord

Nahlidge,

All of a sudden I'm not having any luck using Unetbootin with Arch (ArchBang, Arch and I even tried CTKArch). No distro would install from the stick. Getting the /bin/sh: cant access tty; job control turned off for every distro. Took Arch out of my laptop and installed (shudder) Ubuntu 11.04 with Gnome3. Unetbootin worked like a charm directly with other distros. Used GParted to partition the USB to make two partitions. Put storage on 6GB and loaded ArchBang on the other 2GB. No luck with ArchBang.

One last hope might be Gujin at http://gujin.sourceforge.net/ I haven't tried it yet.

#10 2011-06-07 14:15:17

gone
®

W32DiskImager.exe works well, rename the iso to img

Board footer