You are not logged in.

#76 2012-01-12 06:39:12

handy

Re: Suggestions thread/What's in ArchBang

I have the following in my ~/.bashrc which I don't really bother using any more as I doubt I'll ever refer to the file if I have a HDD meltdown...

# Creates a list of all installed packages:
alias pkglist="comm -13 <(pacman -Qmq | sort) <(pacman -Qqe | sort) > pkglist"

#77 2012-01-13 11:05:12

scjet

Suggestion:
How about a "pkgbrowser" type GUI, that can also Install/Upgrade/Remove/... packages... ? :

again, IMHO, ArchBang  = Arch + OpenBox = K.I.S.S.
I personally like it just the way it is, as well as its' future update/upgradeability any way you want it. and of course,  this important feedback/suggestion thread.
There are obviously more than enough Xfce's, lxde's, gnome's, kde's "DE'" implementations out there already.

Crunchbang is to Debian, as ArchBang is to Arch  (that's about it, in a nutshell).

If anything, the only miracle-package that I would love in Arch/ArchBang is a GUI-Package-Manager.
I use "pkgbrowser" to search for anything extra that I need or don't need, and then "pacman - ..." in a terminal.
...and Yes, I tried "wakka",... but sometimes it was more "wacko", -than wakka. I should try it again though -maybe it's better now ?
Anyway, to me "pkgbrowser" (becuase it's light, fast, and just works beautifully), is already almost there, and it just needs a means to Install/Remove/... packages, even if that meant a seperate terminal pop's up (just like pacman ...) just to interactively show the user wtf is goin' on.... answer "Y/n" ?, ...or whatever.

For example, Chakra(KDE) has its own GUI-pkg-mgr, but I think Chakra is now a complete "fork-off", of Arch.  - no pun intended wink
And, for Chakra to achieve this, it couldn't really use/depend on Arch repo's as much anymore either.

To me, an Arch-GUI-Pkg-Mgr, would be the ultimate cool thing in Arch / ArchBang, especially for "new" users, since they are obviously used to GUI-package managers, (aka Ubuntu One; synaptic; winblowz; ...) although, this alone would be a bit more work to implement in Arch, and would likely require a huge conserted effort from the Arch Dev's/Community/...

But hey, here's to asking one more time ?
smile

Last edited by scjet (2012-01-13 12:44:58)

#78 2012-01-20 05:06:47

rederik
Website

Image Viewers

I like geeqie and I use it to manage my collection, but...

What about viewnior? It weights less (89Kb vs 890) than geeqie and has less dependencies. As a double-click image viewer, I think it's perfect!

In a World without walls and fences, who needs Windows and Gates? ;-)

#79 2012-01-20 15:34:39

amayatheworld

+1 viewnior for a double-click image viewer.

#80 2012-01-30 09:52:17

oliver
Administrator

http://bbs.archbang.org/viewtopic.php?id=2142

In the topic above, call-151 was trying to install on a system where X was not configured correctly.

How about a GRUB option to boot to a CLI only version and modify /etc/issue (or whatever method is appropriate) to say "to install, run /usr/bin/abinstall"?

#81 2012-01-30 10:11:29

Mr Green
Administrator

@Oliver I thought Archbang used Syslinux boot loader?

Comments, suggestions please feel free to contact me mrgreen(at)archbang(dot)org

#82 2012-01-30 10:37:20

oliver
Administrator

I think I have the latest which had GRUB... I'm not 100% though.   If you're right, presumably syslinux could support that too

#83 2012-02-01 10:06:20

distrohopperarched

amayatheworld wrote:

-1 for viewnior.
That's because geeqie had solutions out of the box like the pan-view, for a problem i just ran into. KISS but, do not cripple, just for the sake of size. There's no reason to steal the opportunity for newcomers to discover geeqie, and you can remove it anyway.
IMHO geeqie deserves a place on the "map" despite the fact that it just crushed on me. Keeping it - might even encourage the developers so less of this happens. For me, geeqie was one of those little things, that made A! even better. If pan-view had a sort-manager it'd be awesome too.

Besides you can hit "L" and everything becomes more simple.

#84 2012-02-01 14:21:14

pablokal
Administrator
Website

Thanks for mentioning the pan view option (activate with ctrl+j); didn't know about that.

Getting your questions answered here at ArchBang Forums
Please! Always give hardware info, if there is a chance that 's relevant: #lspci -vnn
On Arch(bang) and Openbox: http://stillstup.blogspot.com/

#85 2012-02-01 16:19:39

hsngrms
Website

rederik wrote:

Image Viewers
I like geeqie and I use it to manage my collection, but...
What about viewnior? It weights less (89Kb vs 890) than geeqie and has less dependencies. As a double-click image viewer, I think it's perfect!

amayatheworld wrote:

+1
I always remove Geeqie and install Viewnior.

#86 2012-02-02 00:37:19

mastis

My suggestions:
1. Replace leafpad with geany. Advanced and still light editor.
Not so important:
2. Deluge instead transmission-gtk. Transmission is banned on many private trackers.

#87 2012-02-03 08:09:16

distrohopperarched

Thank you pablokal

It's intersting to see how people speak up for viewnior, and I respect them. But I'll stand up for Geeqie. What exactly speaks for Viewnior again ? (...800 kb ?)

Geeqie monitors the current folder for changes, a newly downloaded picture was available instantly. No switching between file manager or browsing needed. It doesn't reset the zoom level on scroll (changing the picture) and it even has a find duplicates function. I've been looking for something to sort images and couldn't find anything like it. Now that the mountain came to me... I say keep it. But that's just me.

If Geeqie would implement view modes, like SpaceFM, they could keep things tidy enough not to scare the avarage user.

#88 2012-02-06 18:23:07

amayatheworld

I like the features geeqie presents and I'll continue to use it over viewnior, however, viewnior is better for the **sole purpose** of image viewing. It's extensivness doesn't cloud my judgment of viewnior being perfect for image viewing (at the moment). Geeqie could very well "implement view modes" like you said that cater for those who appreciate slimness and space for viewing only with a shortcut for it's default look. With that in mind geeqie does not do that at the moment. The suggestion was for the possible candidacy of a "double click image viewer" nothing more nothing less.

#89 2012-02-06 19:47:38

ratcheer

Substitute lxdm for slim.

Tim
(I'm a poet and don't know it)

#90 2012-02-06 21:32:37

ArchVortex
Retired

ratcheer wrote:

+1 for functionality and because SLiM is a dead project.

I have a feeling the .iso size is going to grow whether Will wants it to or not. Changes in archiso make it a bigger base now.

You have the capacity to learn from mistakes. You'll learn a lot today.
FP:E5F8 7DBA 8128 9ACB 75F7 7279 BE34 AB66 76D9 16DE
KEY ID:76D916DE
Currently running ArchBang / LFS / OpenSUSE Tumbleweed

#91 2012-02-07 01:25:53

kanyck

1. I vote for viewinor. For me Geeqie falls into a gap in a way - it is quite heavy but still lacks needed functionality. Perfect "advanced" viewer for me is FastStone. Unfortunately it exists for Win only. I make lots of technical photo on my work and FastStone allowed me to do almost everything I need: grab pics from the camera sorting on date, align horizon, make some improvement on color/brightmes, etc. It allows even minor editing. And user interface is really good.  After I adjust whatever I need it allows bulk rename/resize/post-processing. Thus I've all-in-one program and have to use some other very seldom. I've been trying out all Linux viewers I could find but none of them covers the FastStone functionality. The closest shot was XnView, but it still raw and buggy. I don't think my demands for a viewer are somewhat unique: everyone who makes photo does roughly the same things. Now I use XnView, an alternative is some viewer + gimp + phatch, what will double or even triple time to do the job.
2. Slim is good for me in any way. It works just fine for myself, it does whatever it has to. My opinion it still is a good choice until it lacks important functionality or becomes incompatible. Constantly developing software brings instability, (which is the cost of growing functionality) but sometimes it is good to stop at some point leaving stable and functional program to be just used.

Last edited by kanyck (2012-02-07 02:02:29)

#92 2012-02-07 06:29:13

pablokal
Administrator
Website

Perfect "advanced" viewer for me is FastStone. Unfortunately it exists for Win only. I make lots of technical photo on my work and FastStone allowed me to do almost everything I need: grab pics from the camera sorting on date, align horizon, make some improvement on color/brightmes, etc. It allows even minor editing. And user interface is really good.  After I adjust whatever I need it allows bulk rename/resize/post-processing. Thus I've all-in-one program and have to use some other very seldom. I've been trying out all Linux viewers I could find but none of them covers the FastStone functionality.

I agree with you; in fact Faststone Image Viewer is the only program under wine that I use fairly regular.

but sometimes it is good to stop at some point leaving stable and functional program to be just used.

If possible, yes!

Please! Always give hardware info, if there is a chance that 's relevant: #lspci -vnn

#93 2012-02-07 06:31:58

Mr Green
Administrator

No love for shotwell then?

Dump those bloated log in managers for something more like CDM

Comments, suggestions please feel free to contact me mrgreen(at)archbang(dot)org

#94 2012-02-07 15:25:25

doug piston

ratcheer wrote:

Tim

Why not just "startx"?

#95 2012-02-10 20:50:29

hsngrms
Website

Xarchiver > File Roller.

Why?
Ex.: I want to download #! icons from here:
http://ompldr.org/vY3F5NQ/gnome-colors-statler.tar.gz
I don't want to save, I want to temporarily open and drag & drop in .themes folder. But Xarchiver is closing itself when i'm dragging.

#96 2012-02-10 22:16:09

3picgillftw

doug piston wrote:
ratcheer wrote:

Tim

Why not just "startx"?

+1 for this. It is actually the next thing I will be doing to my own system. I like the k.i.s.s. philosophy and it doesnt get much more simple than "startx" From reading through this forum it seems most users are divided enough in opinion on this to make installing a login manager a cosmetic step for those that want it.
that is my 2 cents :-P

#97 2012-02-11 01:29:31

scjet

doug piston wrote:
ratcheer wrote:

Tim

Why not just "startx"?

Lol,  I was waiting for that smile

#98 2012-02-12 05:20:55

kanyck

hsngrms wrote:

Xarchiver > File Roller.

Oh, I had to do this just because xarchiver doesn't support Cyrillic dir names - it simply doesn't work in my environment!

#99 2012-02-12 09:21:48

ArchVortex
Retired

+1 for file-roller. More complete, no dependencies now and it is smaller than before (not as small as xarchiver but small none the less).

#100 2012-02-15 01:56:41

mastis

Post #21 @ http://bbs.archbang.org/viewtopic.php?id=2114

I paste it here:

I have an idea for this installation setup, it's mix of abinstall and cb-welcome(from the crunchbang). User makes a base minimal install by using abinstall. After boot cb-welcome should pop up and it will ask what programs user wants to install. There should be editor section: "select your editor: 1. leafpad 2. geany 3. some-super-cool-editor", then it ask what media player user wants to install and so on...

This way user have a choice what he wants to install. Now user have to remove unwanted programs and install what he prefers to use. IMHO this should be implemented to Archbang installer too. Maybe CD size is smaller too because the user downloads the content from the internet?

#101 2012-02-15 12:03:41

distrohopperarched

^^^

Regarding the post above, it's pretty easy to write a bash file, with two lines in it, and keep it:

sudo packer -S file-roller quodlibet geany aladdin jasmine packagesilike
sudo pacman -Rns xarchiver deadbeaf leafpad otherpackagesidontlike

a welcome script is welcome, but it should do more complex things, like automating things that are presented in the DOC, everything from post-install section to install an application.

something like:

step 1. ranking your mirrors. Please comment out irrelevant mirrors manually.
sudo leafpad /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist
echo "ranking remaining mirrors, please wait"
sudo rankmirrors /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist
echo "risk a dark monitor ?" .... yes or no...
"sudo pacman -R xf86-video-apm xf86-video-ark xf86-video-ast\
 xf86-video-ati xf86-video-chips xf86-video-cirrus\
 xf86-video-dummy xf86-video-fbdev xf86-video-glint\
 xf86-video-i128 xf86-video-i740 xf86-video-intel\
 xf86-video-mach64 xf86-video-mga xf86-video-neomagic\
 xf86-video-nv xf86-video-r128 xf86-video-rendition\
 xf86-video-s3 xf86-video-s3virge xf86-video-savage\
 xf86-video-siliconmotion xf86-video-sis xf86-video-sisusb\
 xf86-video-tdfx xf86-video-trident xf86-video-tseng\
 xf86-video-v4l xf86-video-vesa xf86-video-vmware\
 xf86-video-voodoo xf86-video-xgi xf86-video-xgixp\
 ati-dri intel-dri mach64-dri mga-dri r128-dri\
 savage-dri sis-dri tdfx-dri"
sudo pacman -Ss xf86-video | grep -i $(lspci | grep VGA) - or something like that that actually works....

I think it's more important to help the user set up alternative keyboard layouts than offering geany as an alternative to leafpad. I'm not against it, just saying there are other things that make more sense.

Also, here's something else as feedback: the screenshot utility needs to be bound to the printscreen key.

Last edited by distrohopperarched (2012-02-15 12:12:43)

#102 2012-02-16 10:05:01

distrohopperarched

another minor glitch is that urxvt has no icon. neither does mplayer and sometimes other apps maybe. That doesn't really fit well with an icon only tint2 setup, as I can't really tell where to click anymore.

#103 2012-02-16 15:01:15

distrohopperarched

While people here advocate against geeqie and demand viewnior, demanding simplicity, I was against it.
I dare go a step further and say that mastis was right and geeqie would find a good friend in geany.

Replace leafpad with geany. Advanced and still light editor.

It is light. But it has a color picker it's more appropriate editing conky configs for example, and an AB stile distro would demand a powerful editor as default. The reason I say this should be included by default is that replacing leafpad means editing the menu.xml and the rebinding Super-E at least and thus is a tad less easier to replace than other apps.

#104 2012-02-17 04:58:09

pablokal
Administrator
Website

Geany is great, especially its syntax highlighting, but it's not as light as leafpad; I use both.

#105 2012-02-17 05:21:14

distrohopperarched

Give leafpad a color-picker and make it able to uncomment multiple lines with a key-stroke (geany failed fabulously at this, as ctrl-e further commented on commented lines...) and I'm happy with leafpad. Question, is there something like this already ?

Last edited by distrohopperarched (2012-02-17 05:21:37)

#106 2012-02-17 09:25:12

kanyck

distrohopperarched wrote:

another minor glitch is that urxvt has no icon.
That doesn't really fit well with an icon only tint2 setup, as I can't really tell where to click anymore.

urxvt resembles me 1970s too much so I replaced it with lilyterm. The last one is still lightweight but has normal 21st century look, real transparency (however with the small bug, to be honest) Ctrl/X-Ctrl/V for copy/paste and so on.

And, I completely agree - the user interface is still a little bit eclectic and quite inconsistent so far... (I already told this above)... and misses some handy things. As for me, if the goal is to keep the distro small, I'd rather throw out compositing in favor, say, handy app launcher or another convenience stuff.

#107 2012-02-17 10:49:09

Mr Green
Administrator

#108 2012-02-17 14:55:17

doug piston

kanyck wrote:

handy app launcher or another convenience stuff.

Is dmenu or some key bindings no quick enough? I don't use openbox but I seem to remember you could right click to open a menu and pick your app.

#109 2012-02-17 16:07:16

Mr Green
Administrator

doug piston wrote:
kanyck wrote:

handy app launcher or another convenience stuff.

Is dmenu or some key bindings no quick enough? I don't use openbox but I seem to remember you could right click to open a menu and pick your app.

Not forgetting gmrun ...

Who uses launchers?

#110 2012-02-17 17:48:00

pablokal
Administrator
Website

I can't imagine someone using a launcher that really knows dmenu...

#111 2012-02-18 10:55:40

doug piston

After the cairo-ubuntu fiasco might I suggest using a default font that IS NOT from the AUR. If the user would like to change to it that is fine, but I think for simplicity of post install upgrades using programs from the "main" repos (community, core, etc, etc) would cut down on many foreseeable errors

I am a little biased but  suggest

community/terminus-font 4.36-1 [installed]
    A superb, monospace bitmap font (for X11 and console)

Last edited by doug piston (2012-02-18 16:36:18)

#112 2012-02-18 11:18:41

ArchVortex
Retired

I completely agree with Doug. The less stuff from AUR for the base ArchBang .iso the better. Font rendering should be LTTU.

#113 2012-02-18 12:36:06

distrohopperarched

Thanks for the heads-up.
But this feature is a bug. A terminal that knows to display different icons is a featured one ineeded. One that has none by default, is IMHO too simple. I assume there's no way to correct this (I mean, not manually...)

Last edited by distrohopperarched (2012-02-18 12:38:34)

#114 2012-02-18 12:42:44

distrohopperarched

ArchVortex wrote:

I completely agree with Doug. The less stuff from AUR for the base ArchBang .iso the better. Font rendering should be LTTU.

I agree too... and I'd like to add that if this will be LTTU, that maybe the AB-welcome-script could help the user know about/change this.

#115 2012-02-18 13:26:35

Mr Green
Administrator

Not sure about an welcome script, for me an arch base installer would be great

#116 2012-02-19 01:51:22

kanyck

doug piston wrote:

Is dmenu or some key bindings no quick enough?
you could right click to open a menu and pick your app.

Of course, I do use key bindings for most often used apps. But for me it is hard to remember much more than half a dozen most used - If I  use some app, say, twice a week, key binding will not speed up a process, for I'd have to recall what to press! (The same thing with what key to keep pressed to make a symlink in a FM. I make symlinks rare enough to forget it between uses). So yes, apparently it is not quick enough smile

J just realized that the current way to launch app is not convenient for me. Don't get me wrong, it is not my point to include cairo-dock or something alike in a distro, not a bit. But at the point I'm not satisfied with the way it works from the box. The native openbox menu is great as a "service" menu. Indeed, it's much faster to go there than type "nano ~/.config/bla-bla-bla" in a terminal (or browse the fs) if I want, say, to polish tint2 config. And different programs use slightly different file placing conventions for confs which I don't bother to remember. However, ob menu as is ain't handy for me for a regular laptop use. And it is ugly (yes, I'm thinking about some more eye-candy for myself along with convenience). Thus I have few options: 1) to completely rebuild existing menu (and maybe do this over and over when new apps arrive or change); 2) to construct menues/launchers by hand from scratch using dmenu/gmrun/whatever; or 3) to find something more or less appropriate to go with. My point is I do not want to manually dig in configs if there is a simpler solution, and if #3 would be in the distro somehow (or just properly packaged), it would help me and the others. And at the moment I've no sane suggestions, sorry. That's it, basically.

I played with some ready-made things, to be honest, I even tried dockapps - even despite that it is true battery killer stuff! None of those I've found in AUR worked for me. Most of them did not run at all, or I rejected them from the very start looking at the size and dependency list. The others did not work properly (artefacts on my ATI video, misplased stuff, and so on). So it looks like I had to sit and design menues by myself and I'm a little bit disappointed with this. (Please, don't suggest me Ubuntu at this point!) I feel that current Linuxes are somehow too spartan, or controversially, became overloaded with childish bells and whistles like jumping cursors and icons on fire - both ways it lacks usability! And usability is important in order to be satisfied with the distro.

Sorry, I have written a lot this time, but usability is too often underestimated in Linux world, but remains important (at least to myself). An I don't see any good solution so far...

#117 2012-02-19 02:45:02

ArchVortex
Retired

Definitely no welcome script!! User-centric comes before user-friendly. That is the Arch Way. If you want welcome scripts and stuff like that then go use CrunchBang or some other user-friendly distro

#118 2012-02-19 06:28:24

pablokal
Administrator
Website

@kanyck: If you really need a dock like launcher I recommend adeskbar: https://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=26910 ; it 's great, relatively lightweight and is very configurable.
Anyway I keep repeating: in terms of easy of use: alt+f3, type one or two letters and enter (that is using dmenu) and launched, that is so easy and fast.
I couldn't ask for anything more.

#119 2012-02-19 08:04:11

doug piston

pablokal wrote:

@kanyck: If you really need a dock like launcher I recommend adeskbar: https://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=26910 ; it 's great, relatively lightweight and is very configurable.
Anyway I keep repeating: in terms of easy of use: alt+f3, type one or two letters and enter (that is using dmenu) and launched, that is so easy and fast.

Or another DE all together. Possibly Gnome or KDE. I've used both and seem to be exactly what you are looking for. The whole idea behind arch is to make your system yours. Just because Archbang comes with OpenBox does not mean you have to use it.

Last edited by doug piston (2012-02-19 08:07:02)

#120 2012-02-19 10:43:44

distrohopperarched

pablokal wrote:

I totally agree.

#121 2012-02-19 13:54:51

kanyck

doug piston wrote:

Possibly Gnome or KDE.
The whole idea behind arch is to make your system yours.

Look, I bought this laptop with SUSE+Gnome pre-installed that was too heavy and slow for this machine. Now I have the system which is 3 or 4 times faster, that is why I stuck with Archbang. It was not random choice. And I tried out half a dozen distros just to find out what would fit me best. And I've fast and quite well-balanced system to the extent I could reach this goal. Now I'm ready to sacrifice 10% of the overall performance to make it fancier and handy. But I am not ready to loose 70% of the performance to get the system overloaded with a stuff, most of which I will never use. In fact I use a CLI extensively when I do something with the system. But when I use my laptop simply as a tool, I'd prefer to have a clear and user-friendly interface which would allow me to stay fully concentrated on the task being performed.  And yes, what I try to achieve is to make my system mine! Good point, thank you.

Last edited by kanyck (2012-02-19 13:57:42)

#122 2012-02-19 14:18:59

doug piston

kanyck wrote:
doug piston wrote:

Possibly Gnome or KDE.
The whole idea behind arch is to make your system yours.

Look, I bought this laptop with SUSE+Gnome pre-installed that was too heavy and slow for this machine. Now I have the system which is 3 or 4 times faster, that is why I stuck with Archbang. It was not random choice. And I tried out half a dozen distros just to find out what would fit me best. And I've fast and quite well-balanced system to the extent I could reach this goal. Now I'm ready to sacrifice 10% of the overall performance to make it fancier and handy. But I am not ready to loose 70% of the performance to get the system overloaded with a stuff, most of which I will never use. In fact I use a CLI extensively when I do something with the system. But when I use my laptop simply as a tool, I'd prefer to have a clear and user-friendly interface which would allow me to stay fully concentrated on the task being performed.  And yes, what I try to achieve is to make my system mine! Good point, thank you.

Wasn't trying to rub you the wrong way. I actually really liked gnome3. Was just a suggestions. Apologies.

#123 2012-02-20 01:08:53

kanyck

@doug
Nothing to apologize for, pal. No offend, I just tried to clear out my position. This discussion is very interesting for me (but probably happened on the wrong thread), because I don't have a clear vision yet what it should look like finally. So it is a kind of step-by-step try-out process, and it is helpful to know what others consider to be convenient for them. (BTW, while writing a previous post I realized that I definitely have two modes of using a computer, with different demands).
And yes, integrated DEs are great in their way (just because they *are* integrated!) but appear to be too resource-consuming and too overloaded with doubtful features to present themselves "complete" or to win a formal competition in a magazine article. So it's a package deal, if you know what I mean. I've AMD E-450 laptop which is quite enough for Arch+Openbox but much too weak for RedHat+Gnome, for instance. That's why I am here smile

Last edited by kanyck (2012-02-20 01:12:54)

#124 2012-02-21 12:52:56

scjet

relax all:
Let's remember (the top post), as to what archbang basically was/is really "ALL" about !

"...AB is not a extraction: it is the Arch base with a certain simple ready-to-go configuration....", or thereabouts,

...and so, I would like to just reiterate that again, because I support "KISS", above all else !
That being said,  archbang is Arch+Openbox(and maybe Fluxbox), but it is NOT arch+KDE/Gnome3/..., however, with a bit of "homework", you can still make it whatever you want, absolutely, why not ?.
It's All Good.

On the other hand, I would also like a fully functional/stable/great GUI PKG-Mgr in Arch(bang), but hey, that's another story alltogether -Lol.
wink

#125 2012-02-23 12:01:01

kanyck

scjet wrote:

I would also like a fully functional/stable/great GUI PKG-Mgr in Arch(bang)

As for me, I surprisingly absolutely cold about any GUI administration tools... perhaps except ones preventing me from digging into large xml files roll like obmenu.
Which, in turn, proves the main conception behind AB - to give a necessary minimum as a starting point to go as far as you'd like.

#126 2012-02-23 13:57:38

fschiff

Favorite applications.
I was looking at SliTaz recently, which is OpenBox, and it has a Favorite Applications section in its menu.  They are not hard coded in the menu.xml, but are implemented via shell variables and shell scripts.  So the file-manager script, calls whatever value the variable FILE_MANAGER has.  Same for editor/$EDITOR, browser/$BROWSER, etc. Just makes using the system easier.

#127 2012-03-01 02:21:52

rederik
Website

Mr Green wrote:

No love for shotwell then?

Dump those bloated log in managers for something more like CDM

Shotwell is nice and eyecandy, but has the bad habit of thinking in your place...
I like to know where is a picture and to organize folders by myself. A picture organizer like shotwell or f-spot downloads images in a folder, then you have to create collections, edit tags, and so on... not really KISS...
I like to download my pictures with Rapid Photo Downloader that automates renaming, manage them with geeqie (it's a wonderful software), and edit them with GIMP.
However, I like to have a quick double-click image viewer, just to watch images downloaded from the web, or the wallpapers folder, etc. That's why I suggested Viewnior.

In a World without walls and fences, who needs Windows and Gates? ;-)

#128 2012-03-01 06:47:37

distrohopperarched

scjet wrote:

I would also like a fully functional/stable/great GUI PKG-Mgr in Arch(bang)

What would such a GUI give you ? The only thing that would make sense for me, is screenshots. It could help you choose at a glance. But for that we need more than a GUI.

#129 2012-03-01 06:49:59

Mr Green
Administrator

LiquidLemur Linux already has one

#130 2012-03-21 07:30:08

xyz

* gnome-display-properties In order to setup simpler two monitors:
* http://www.jupiterapplet.org/
   - looks like it also handle dual monitors?
   - help to reduce the battery life,
   - can disable touchpad, wifi and bluetooth

#131 2012-03-21 07:54:26

oliver
Administrator

xyz wrote:

* gnome-display-properties In order to setup simpler two monitors:
* http://www.jupiterapplet.org/
   - looks like it also handle dual monitors?
   - help to reduce the battery life,
   - can disable touchpad, wifi and bluetooth

jupiter is a really nice looking project but it will drag in mono and those dependencies

#132 2012-03-21 23:57:54

xyz

Are you sure that jupiter need mono, I just looked at the dependecises and it show only:
coreutils, gnome-python2-gnome, xorg-x11-apps, rfkill

Furthermore on the project page they saying that "Jupiter version 0.1.2 features a new Python based Applet..."

#133 2012-03-22 00:29:23

Mr Green
Administrator

@xyz http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=43821 reading the comments it does say its an python based version and mono should be removed.

#134 2012-03-22 02:16:26

xyz

@ Mr Green: http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=43821 in the comments they said:

Comment by: silvik on Tue, 13 Mar 2012 22:07:36 +0000
also, this version is python based. the deps are outdated, no mono, but python2

Comment by: zdjm on Tue, 13 Mar 2012 01:06:34 +0000
Updated to the new version.. this is they python version. lets see what breaks.

#135 2012-03-22 02:29:06

Mr Green
Administrator

Check the PKGBUILD

depends=('mono' 'gtk-sharp-2' 'xorg-xrandr')

#136 2012-03-22 03:11:24

xyz

I do not understand that. I downloaded the source code and they is no mono code (at least I can't find it) only python and even in rpm dependencies they wrote:
coreutils, gnome-python2-gnome, xorg-x11-apps, rfkill

I do not understand why it should depends on mono.

#137 2012-03-22 04:29:28

Mr Green
Administrator

No I am looking at aur pkgbuild if you are building from source then yes mono is not required. The comment I read made me think pkgbuild had been updated

#138 2012-03-27 02:46:38

xyz

I also installed crunchbang and have liked their Post-installation script which helped to install
* updated all packages
* cups cups-pdf hpijs system-config-printer
* installed libreoffice
* remove unnecessary hardware related packages.

Packages:
* LibreOffice some people would like to do some office work
* system-config-printer in order to setup a printer
* gnome-power-preferences to change power settings
* gnome-screensaver-preferences to change screensaver
* Shotwell for managing and improving photos
* Gmplayer replaced by VLC
* pidgin
* Why Thunar has been removed, it would fit better to xfburn
* Why chromium is not any more default.
* PackageKit includes support for the alpm library (https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Pa … E.2FGTK.2B)
* kalu

Setup:
* could the installer encrypt partition (like FUDUNTU) or home directrories (like Ubuntu)
* after setup the Grub background looks different to the LiveCD.

Look:
* replacing panel with http://www.webupd8.org/2010/08/helpers- … ation.html
* Would it possible to put on the left side on the Desktop a clock and a calendar ( like here http://muaythaimaster74.blogspot.com.au … conky.html ).
* On the right side to put this http://www.linoob.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/4.jpg on the desktop.
* In crunchbang everything looks the same e.g. login window fit to the look and feel of crunchbang

#139 2012-03-27 03:20:21

pablokal
Administrator
Website

@xyz: I understand what you want.
But you don't seem to understand that we introduce with AB a minimal setup so everybody can go in the direction he wants, like you want a fairly nifty set up.

If we did it your way we would determine too much to our liking the set up for every new user and would provide not in a minimal but elaborated set up.
We want to keep it as simple as possible.
My advice: make a little manual here on the forums on how you configurated your Archbang with screenshots and all, for your own back up and maybe it will inspire others to like that  and go further on that too.

Choices for libreoffice, vlc, thunar, shotwell etc are very personal ones. In the latest March iso Mr. Green has chosen for simplicity and user-friendliness and provided with one of the best AB versions till now imho, apart form some minor configuration details that need to be ironed out (links to urxvt in .bashrc for example).

#140 2012-05-04 14:05:55

pablokal
Administrator
Website

This thread is closed and is continued at http://bbs.archbang.org/viewtopic.php?id=2693

Board footer