You are not logged in.

#1 2017-02-07 02:46:32

seventh

Gday from Australia

Hi, im not very good at intros but here goes.

Only recently got into linux over the past year and have been able to successfully do an arch install the arch way.

This distro however has had me perplexed somewhat. Finally got it working on a vbox today.

Using the latest 86-64 beta iso i had to do the following commands to get it working.

Pacman keyring was in error.

dirmngr </dev/null
pacman-key --init
pacman-key --populate archlinux
pacman-key --refresh-keys

xorg failure, researched and removed package  xf86-video-fbdev

Grub was in error but after a few install/mkconfig attempts it corrected itself.

I was of the thought i could install the system (read boot into) first and then update using pacman -Syyu , is that correct. Seems after updating and fixing those errors the os booted and worked?

Anyhow i have an archbang vbox now, very happy.

Cheers

Last edited by seventh (2017-02-07 03:14:12)

#2 2017-02-07 14:40:34

Mr Green
Administrator

Re: Gday from Australia

Pacman keys should be loaded on boot 'live', once installed you do have to set them up (as above). Not sure what grub error is, usually test with syslinux. Anyway glad it is finally working.

Welcome to ArchBang wink

Comments, suggestions please feel free to contact me mrgreen(at)archbang(dot)org

#3 2017-02-08 01:21:29

seventh

Thanks Mr Green.

Ok grub decided to make a liar out of me today, tried a new install and worked apart from not getting past X into desktop . Still had the error as pictured below but booted this time without any intervention, But when i had this error the first time it wouldnt boot into the system. First time i did this it just wouldnt boot, so i did a manual grub install/mkconfig and it seemed to work, probably my steps trying to figure it out are the problem. 

iwuXTBKm.png

Still have to chroot and remove xf86-video-fbdev to get past below xorg error, do you think this maybe because of using virtualbox? I want to install archbang onto bare metal but just testing first.

PliGJpRm.png

Last edited by seventh (2017-02-08 01:24:11)

#4 2017-02-09 00:37:10

Mr Green
Administrator

Wondering if this is related

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/GR … ramebuffer

Certainly not had this before and I use virtual box for testing...

Comments, suggestions please feel free to contact me mrgreen(at)archbang(dot)org

#5 2017-02-09 00:55:43

seventh

I do have an nivida card in my laptop but using the noveau driver. Im using bunsenlabs as my host OS.

Ill give that a go though in the vbox grub and see what it does.

cheers.

#6 2017-02-09 03:26:13

seventh

Mr Green wrote:

Wondering if this is related

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/GR … ramebuffer

Certainly not had this before and I use virtual box for testing...

Worked !!!

Uncommenting below in grub...

GRUB_TERMINAL_OUTPUT=console

Thankyou Mr Green.

#7 2017-02-12 03:21:59

Mr Green
Administrator

If you get stuck in console again under Virtualbox, git host key (right ctrl) and F3 then it will give you console login. Then you can edit /etc/default/grub then rebuild boot menu with

sudo grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg

#8 2017-02-13 00:59:40

seventh

Mr Green wrote:

If you get stuck in console again under Virtualbox, git host key (right ctrl) and F3 then it will give you console login. Then you can edit /etc/default/grub then rebuild boot menu with

sudo grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg

That is good to know, i was just powering off when i couldnt get past the console.

Also to get a root console i was editing the grub with a 1 at the end of the linux kernel line (after "quiet") in grubs parameters to bring up maintenance/rescue mode.  Must be an easier way i was thinking, thankyou again Mr Green.

Last edited by seventh (2017-02-13 01:01:34)

Board footer