You are not logged in.

#1 2016-09-03 02:36:51

Mr Green
Administrator

ArchBang will live on....

I have been thinking about ArchBang and what I need to do to keep it running. Bascially building iso is not the issue, need to get help with themes and configs (user gui). Given enough feedback then I will add in any required applications (provided they are not in Aur).

Todo

Work on fast-install script
Make users aware of /etc/skel and where to find live package list.
Put Clock into conky?
SSB's?
Remove Tint?
CLi version?

Comments, suggestions, donations please feel free to contact me mrgreen(at)archbang(dot)org

#2 2016-09-03 19:54:04

rearden

Re: ArchBang will live on....

Great to hear! Keep up the good work.

#3 2016-09-04 23:46:38

rabbit

Thank You, MrG.  You are doing Great Work.  I am not sure what sort of feedback you need about that ToDo list.

FYI: I am still using tint2 with clock and gsimplecal, and installing SLIM instead of LXDM.

Recently I discovered that my old PC and laptops cannot install Win-10 any more due to lack of Windows drivers. I started thinking about a time in the future I will need a new PC/laptop and probably it will be UEFI. Does ArchBang and ArchLinux support installation on UEFI? I also have a Microsoft Surface 3 Tablet which is UEFI and I wondered whether AB will dual-boot there?

Thank you again.

#4 2016-09-05 05:41:54

pablokal
Administrator
Website

Does ArchBang and ArchLinux support installation on UEFI?
Yes it does.
But honesty requires me to acknowledge the fact that it didn't work for me due to the fact that I used a two hard drive set up.
What I did is installing Manjaro on a small partition of the second hd to solve the boot problem and from there I could install AB.

Getting your questions answered here at ArchBang Forums
Please! Always give hardware info, if there is a chance that 's relevant: #lspci -vnn
On Arch(bang) and Openbox: http://stillstup.blogspot.com/

#5 2016-09-05 05:48:57

pablokal
Administrator
Website

Essential to me is the Openbox element of AB.
Tint2, obconf and lxappearance seems essential to me; dmenu is a good and small bonus.
Theme of openbox is not essential. We could do research to make the openbox as small as possible regarding dependencies.

Please! Always give hardware info, if there is a chance that 's relevant: #lspci -vnn

#6 2016-09-05 11:23:34

rearden

Pablokal, I have a similar setup. All you should need to do is choose "manual" installation of grub, rather than automatic during the install process. It will ask you for the drive with the efi partition, then it should work. That's all I had to do in order to make it work for me.

#7 2016-09-07 20:14:05

Axeboy

I did the manual install of grub, but had to make /boot/EFI/BOOT subdirectory and copy the bootx64.efi into it.

I'd vote for adding a clock to the conky, but I'll probably just go figure out how to do it once I get the wireless figured out.  big_smile

Last edited by Axeboy (2016-09-07 20:16:19)

#8 2016-09-12 11:44:11

josuah
Website

Mr Green wrote:

need to get help with themes and configs (user gui)

This is the easy part for me.  The port from systemd to operRC and fixing the issues looks harder.

May you point me some ways to contribute?  Like, would you like configuration files or such?

#9 2016-09-13 02:30:28

josuah
Website

I think most people would feel home with only openbox, tint2 and conky.  I agree with dmenu being a nice improvement: everything not managed with openbox menu can be started with dmenu.

If we remove tint2:

- Alt+Tab to switch windows;
- Ctrl+Alt+Left/Right to switch desktops;
- Alt+Shift+Left/Right to put windows to next/previous desktop;
- Right click on the conky pannel/desktop to show the menu (or Super+Space)...

Openbox provides everithyng!

If we put these shortcuts on conky, the user would not even get confused.

#10 2016-09-13 09:08:47

Mr Green
Administrator

I was thinking along the lines of a pure openbox desktop, for autumn release I have tweaked tint2 a little to make it more appealing.

Does Openbox have a window list that we could use... clock could then simply be added to Conky...

Dmenu does not really have much of an overhead, though at times I wonder if anyone actually uses it.

Comments, suggestions, donations please feel free to contact me mrgreen(at)archbang(dot)org

#11 2016-09-13 13:05:44

josuah
Website

Mr Green wrote:

I was thinking along the lines of a pure openbox desktop, for autumn release I have tweaked tint2 a little to make it more appealing.

As you talked about theme and GUI, there can be pretty nice looking and rich interfaces with only conky and openbox.  But I guess you want to have simpler setup, and with fewer dependencies.  As I like them, by the way.

Mr Green wrote:

Does Openbox have a window list that we could use... clock could then simply be added to Conky...

Yes, it does.  It is middle mouse click by default.  It is something called client-list-menu

Mr Green wrote:

Dmenu does not really have much of an overhead, though at times I wonder if anyone actually uses it.

I do a lot, but I use dwm, so I am biased.

#12 2016-09-14 00:59:44

replabrobin

I use xdg_menu (from pkg archlinux-xdg-menu) in a script to create the applications submenu; it does something like

xdg_menu --format=openbox3-pipe --root-menu=/etc/xdg/menus/arch-applications.menu | \
	sed -e'/<item label="Oracle VM VirtualBox" /,+2d
' > $HOME/.cache/applications.xml

and then .config/openbox/menu.xml contains

<menu id="desktop-app-menu" label="Applications" execute="cat ~/.cache/applications.xml"/>

the sed command can do all sorts of customisation of the generated menu.

Last edited by replabrobin (2016-09-14 01:00:11)

#13 2016-09-14 08:18:20

Mr Green
Administrator

Our application menu works (of sorts!)... Pure openbox desktop would be my goal. Reducing package set to a minimum.

To remove say conky:

conky                     9.75 MiB
Exclusive dependencies:      0 B
Shared dependencies:    125.97 MiB
Total dependencies:     125.97 MiB (135.72 MiB)

Would need another way to display text onscreen for keybindings, or go with a pipe menu?

#14 2016-09-14 14:48:45

josuah
Website

Mr Green wrote:

Would need another way to display text onscreen for keybindings, or go with a pipe menu?

A 'hack' would be to print them on the wallpaper, and openbox have a [dockapps](https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Wi … r#Dockapps) support, though they [does not look much appealing](http://tnemeth.free.fr/projets/dockapps.html).

#15 2016-09-14 15:17:06

oliver
Administrator

Another option would be a windowless transparent terminal running a 'while true' script displaying data (or even just the keybindings)

#16 2016-09-15 08:13:56

Mr Green
Administrator

Would such a terminal need something like compton to work? Certainly know what you mean, might be worth looking at....

#17 2016-09-15 19:42:53

oliver
Administrator

Mr Green wrote:

Would such a terminal need something like compton to work? Certainly know what you mean, might be worth looking at....

You're right, it would - didn't think of that...  I'm using compton-git because the regular compton in the repo took up about 20% CPU all the time (compton-git is negligible)

Xcompmgr is also available but only seems to get an update every 3 years.

#18 2016-09-17 06:07:33

Mr Green
Administrator

Plan to build an X version of Arch media iso with Openbox. Nothing more than a terminal to start with. Provided you can get a network connection then you can install required tools you need. Tempted uncomment one of the European mirrors so pacman works out of the box.

Thoughts?

#19 2016-09-17 20:42:49

once

X version with Wayland ?

#20 2016-09-18 01:17:00

Mr Green
Administrator

Wayland is shipped with ArchBang as it comes with gtk3. It does not currently support Openbox either. You could get something running but it would not be ^! as such.

#21 2016-09-18 20:02:48

Udom

Thanks for continuing. ABang is not just the best OS, it's the best gateway to using Arch. It's also the best of the few openbox distros avaiable.

#22 2016-09-19 00:15:19

Mr Green
Administrator

@Udom Thank you wink

#23 2016-10-07 00:24:36

josuah
Website

About having a terminal to replace conky:  we could tell openbox to consider a window as unmovable, without border, fulscreen, unkillable, always to the background.

And we could use a terminal that can also be fulscreen, and with fake transparency.

We could use a compositor to make any term transparent, but tdat would be too heavy.  Some torminal can fake transparency by having a background image.  With such a term, we wauld not even need a background managermlike nitrogen and feh.  2 dependencies: openbox and a terminal!

#24 2016-10-07 00:30:41

josuah
Website

Resourges for doing it:

- http://unix.stackexchange.com/questions … rminal-com

We could use this to apply rules to a specific window, but then all movement commands would need to be adjusted...  Still possible at least!

- https://ctkarch.org/documentation/tutor … ranspa.xml

This would still require to have feh or something to set tde background.

- http://openbox.org/wiki/Help:Applications

This would be a more general solution:  set the window on all monitors, with no border, and always on background and maximize.
There is only the no-movement or no unmaximize, and no-close to fix...

- http://unix.stackexchange.com/questions … -area-only
- http://openbox.org/wiki/Special:Search? … orce&go=Go

With this we can set a force attribute to some option, maybe even to maximized.  We would just need to disable the close shortcuts.  Or maybe we can even keep it.

Last edited by josuah (2016-10-07 14:49:53)

#25 2016-10-07 13:45:54

pablokal
Administrator
Website

@ josuah: nice post.
I like this kind of creativity.

#26 2016-10-08 15:45:27

josuah
Website

@ pablokal:

Thank you.  I did not provided any config file yet, though...

About keybondings printed out on wallpapers:   This is what WattOS does for its "super-light" linux distribution based on i3: http://wiki.planetwatt.com/index.php?ti … att-DT.jpg

Last edited by josuah (2016-10-08 15:55:24)

#27 2016-10-08 16:40:49

josuah
Website

I am trying:

- rxvt-unicode,
- on openbox (lxterm),
- with background set by feh,
- with "fake transparency" ('-transparent' flag to urxvt),
- the window set to all desktop,
- no window border,
- always on bottom,
- with a custom title ('-title background-term' to urxvt) so that we can apply the above 3 automatically,
- with a script run in urxvt specified on command line: (-e ./background-term)
- terminal with Ctrl + C disabled with 'trap '' 2' (http://askubuntu.com/questions/477474/p … sing-ctrlc),

So it works pretty much like expected, but is still affected by keybindings, and present in the alt-tab window list, though.

In the end, the command I use for urxvt is:

urxvt +sb -transparent -title background-term -e ./background-term

The script is something like:

# Make the script unkillable with Ctrl + C
trap '' 2

while true
do
        # Clear the screen and redraw
        clear

# Command to display the content, run every second
        date | fig | lolcat

# Prevent it to loop too fast.
        sleep 1
done

The background term can use things like figlet to display "bigger font", or a script of mine that does this: http://p.iotek.org/ff7 (http://github.com/josuah/Config/tree/master/bin/fig).

Last edited by josuah (2016-10-08 16:52:46)

#28 2016-10-09 02:37:20

josuah
Website

Oh: one issue we may have: right click does not open openbox menu anymore, as urxvt catches it.

Urxvt permits to remap keybindings for a particular window with command line flag.  This should allow us to disable every keybinding including all letters and left mouse button selection... and set right mouse button to open openbox's menu.

Last edited by josuah (2016-10-09 02:38:40)

#29 2016-10-09 03:27:23

Mr Green
Administrator

Possibly an easier way would be to make a wallpaper that includes key shortcuts on it. A background terminal seems to create more problems than its worth. An option I have looked at in the past is a pipe menu of bindings or simply add keys to menu item....

Terminal [Super+t]
Browser [Super+w]

Am working on a Top Secret project called Curve that will bring some interesting new features to ArchBang wink

#30 2016-10-09 06:44:15

josuah
Website

Background terminal would not be a basis from which people build, more like an intersting hack.

> top secret 'curve'

big_smile

#31 2016-10-15 23:05:32

siklopz

i've been using a transparent URXVT term in the background, for a while.  if you're still interested, here's a tutorial.  it still works, but the disadvantage is, you can only open your right-click menu from the tint2 panel or keybind.

https://bleedux.wordpress.com/2010/11/0 … ackground/

#32 2016-10-16 02:35:57

Mr Green
Administrator

According to Arch WIki, tilda is the way to go....

Board footer